Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Radiator Fan Won't Turn Fast

Hi.

New owner of 99 SLK230 with 123K. Auto transmission. The radiator fan won't turn on high speed. It comes on and turns, but not super fast. I think this may be the reason the AC doesn't blow cold also could be making the car run hotter than necessary. Please advise on what the problem might be and how I might be able to diagnose. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My 99 slk's AC won't blow cold air. The previous owner told me that it's it's full of refrigerant and is holding pressure. However, he believes the issue is that the radiator fan doesn't kick into high speed, thus not dissipating heat sufficiently. Thoughts on where I should start to check things? Is there a way I can force the fan to kick into high speed to confirm if that's the problem? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
The air is definitely hotter than the outside air temp.
Sounds like you have a problem with your duo valve. it's on the right side in front of the battery. It is supposed to shut off circulation of coolant to the heater core.

I dont know how to check it.. that's for the smarter among us!

You could clamp (vice-grips?) the inlet line coming out of the back of the engine and see if it makes a difference.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,593 Posts
Sounds like you have a problem with your duo valve. it's on the right side in front of the battery. It is supposed to shut off circulation of coolant to the heater core.

I dont know how to check it.. that's for the smarter among us!

You could clamp (vice-grips?) the inlet line coming out of the back of the engine and see if it makes a difference.
Easy to check the duo valve.
One pipe goes in, two come out.

If the two out pipes are hot when both temp wheels are on the blue setting (cold) the duo isn't working.
If dials are on blue and you pull the power lead off and push back on, you should hear an audible 'click', if not, check fuse 15 to start with.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just to add to the above. The rad fan will not normally run at full speed unless everything is desperately hot. When you turn on the AC it will turn over at a low to medium speed initially, you can open the bonnet/hood and check.

·
1,593 Posts
It's not an AC problem as such, AC could in fact be perfectly fine.
More of a cabin air temp intake issue, otherwise there would still be an ambient temperature.
Stands to reason that the duo is open.

They are open by default, apply power (by turning the dials to blue) to close.

I had THIS - don't laugh :D

Also to add further .. the most common failing of the duo valve if there is power, is that one of the plungers will get stuck and that will result in one side of the cabin being hot and the other cold .. you gotta be really unlucky to have them both stuck

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I followed the instruction in this video to test is my duo valve is functioning.

Per the video, I didn't hear any sound when unplugging and plugging the electrical connection. As such, I suspect a need a new duo valve? Where's the best place to buy one?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,853 Posts
bump to the top

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,853 Posts
mb
ebay
any online mb oem site like

https://www.getmercedesparts.com

you did not post your vin for free datacard so we cannot look up part number for you

FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

you can look up part numbers yourself

https://slk-links.neocities.org

https://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/28592-1999-slk230-duovalve-replacement.html

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
878 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I followed the instruction in this video to test is my duo valve is functioning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jhPEfLI45s&t=38s

Per the video, I didn't hear any sound when unplugging and plugging the electrical connection. As such, I suspect a need a new duo valve? Where's the best place to buy one?

If you are certain the duo valve is not functioning and have the noted change in voltage on both sides one thing to try before spending your coin is to take off the tops, remove the plungers and clean them.
Polish them with 10000 steel wool or equivalent making sure they are super clean when reinstalling them. A light lick of fine sewing machine oil I have found helps.
Be sure to put a blanket under them so if you inadvertently drop something it gets caught before going somewhere were you cannot easily see it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi.

New owner of 99 SLK230 with 123K. Auto transmission. The radiator fan won't turn on high speed. It comes on and turns, but not super fast. I think this may be the reason the AC doesn't blow cold also could be making the car run hotter than necessary. Please advise on what the problem might be and how I might be able to diagnose. Thanks in advance.
Maybe does not help much but I have never seen/heard my radiator fan running at anything over a slow/silent speed even with car left at idle for extended periods of time. Temp never seems to get above approx 90deg.C in use.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,986 Posts
Hi,

Cooling Fans are controlled by PWM Signal from Motor ECU to Fan Controller, speed selected is based on Engine Coolant Temp and A/C on / off, lots of different speeds expressed in SDS as a percentage of Flat Out .................

I have never heard any of my MB's run at full speed except when testing them on SDS, and on a very hot (UK) day with A/C on :wink

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
1,593 Posts
Could be a bad fan control module.
Could be, easy enough to check for power first tho.
Run voltmeter across the plug, if power is present, all is well to that point. If no power, there's an issue elsewhere.

Check duos for opening and closing by hooking up direct to battery, if no audible click, duos are fubar. Disassembly may or may not reveal the issue.

I went that route myself before discovering that I should have had a fuse where there wasn't one lol .. sometimes the obvious thing is the thing that gets overlooked :D

Fortunately, W210 module just goes in and they're as cheap as chips over here in UK AND you get black dials ;)

Suspect that the W210 and W202 duo valves to be the same as the R170s albeit on different bracketry but approx half the price .. (in this part of the world at least)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello

the first day I got my 2003 230. I was checking it out alone before i bought it. I see the button for AC so i pressed it until the light came on. Heat control dials set to blue, location dial set to feet and face and all i got was hot air. I told the salesman about it. He got in the car started it, Pressed to AC button until the light was off. The AC stated to work. I looked closer to the AC button in small print it said OFF.

So when the AC light is off, the AC is really ON!

·
1,593 Posts
Hello

the first day I got my 2003 230. I was checking it out alone before i bought it. I see the button for AC so i pressed it until the light came on. Heat control dials set to blue, location dial set to feet and face and all i got was hot air. I told the salesman about it. He got in the car started it, Pressed to AC button until the light was off. The AC stated to work. I looked closer to the AC button in small print it said OFF.

So when the AC light is off, the AC is really ON!
Your button says AC and not EC?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts