Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AC on my 2007 SLK 280 occasionally stops delivering cool air. The blower is still blowing, but the air coming out goes from very cool to warm and smelling of moisture. This lasts about 45 to 60 seconds, and occurs a couple or three times per hour. It is very unpredictable. The dealer wants me to leave it with them so they can drive it home and see of it happens with them (!?.) Its the old, "If we don't see it happen it doesn't happen."

Does anybody have any idea what it might be? The compressor is apparently stopping, but I don't know what would cause that.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,223 Posts
mine does that once in a while but not as often as that. sometimes i know i accidently hit the ac button and turn the ac off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can't be anything I have done, I haven't done anything. I thought it might be a normal function of melting off an iced up coil, but the guy at MB service assures me there is no such function. And it will do it soon after starting up when there can't be any icing.

There is no water dripping into the cabin, and the dripping outside seems normal.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55
415 Posts
It can't be anything I have done, I haven't done anything. I thought it might be a normal function of melting off an iced up coil, but the guy at MB service assures me there is no such function. And it will do it soon after starting up when there can't be any icing.

There is no water dripping into the cabin, and the dripping outside seems normal.
Do you have the standard A/C or automatic system? Is your outside air temp reading correctly? For either one the system cools based on the selected interior temperature and the outside temperature.

Bob

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,045 Posts
I've seen a few reports here about this issue on 171's -- without resolution. My A/C has done this tiwce in two years. I've ignored it since it restarted both times after a few minutes.

This is a really serious issue if it's raining or quite humid -- the defroster loses much of its efficiency without the compressor's dehumidification.

Please post your results!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have the standard A/C or automatic system? Is your outside air temp reading correctly? For either one the system cools based on the selected interior temperature and the outside temperature.

Bob
That is a good thought. It is the standard system. I keep the temp set at the same point. It is usually hot here, and VERY humid. I will pay attention to the gap between set point and outside temp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen a few reports here about this issue on 171's -- without resolution. My A/C has done this tiwce in two years. I've ignored it since it restarted both times after a few minutes.

This is a really serious issue if it's raining or quite humid -- the defroster loses much of its efficiency without the compressor's dehumidification.

Please post your results!
I have never had occasion to use the defroster, but I can see your point. I will post anything I find out.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
My experience is like Jeff's - I've noticed the same thing happening a couple of times over the year I've owned the car. Not very often and never repeated in the same trip. I figured it was just a random gremlin in the works !

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
This has happened to me twice since I've had the car (almost 3 years). Both times were actually kind of scary. The humidity was so high that my windows fogged up to the point where I could not see out the front. I had to open the side window and stick my head out in order to move the car off the roadway.

I have the automatic system. This is clearly a "bug" in the climate control system that Mercedes doesn't know how to fix, or doesn't want to acknowledge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.