Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,759 Posts
After studying the backs of both dials on then I have come to the conclusion that the demist 'flaps' that operate by an electrical signal that allegedly operates rods or a single rod must be where to lack of airflow lies !!
What then do the two white spigots do other than direct vents/flaps for the other functions of directing the air flow that the fan speed creates onto the parts of the body/interior as directed on the dial.
On mine the demist button in the centre is the rear screen heater demist. To defrost the front window I turn my right hand knob to 3 o'clock (IIRC) to put the flaps into a defrost position and then turn the fan up high with the left knob. If there's any actuator in the dashboard it is controlled by the turning the right hand knob and therefore the spigots where they enter the control unit.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi again savcom. My car has the standard slide out tray so potential damage to the cup holder linkages is avoided. The guy in the German YouTube video appeared to be using the long reach screwdrivers that looked very similar to those that I have.
What is not entirely clear is why he takes so much out of the car when the panel comes out of the car with seeming ease after a few twiddles of the screwdriver after rhe main fascia is pulled free.

·
2,759 Posts
I agree - he does make a bit of a mountain about the removal thing....

I was just trying to illustrate the white spigots and where they might fit (especially if they're not aligned with the flap positions).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi again to you all. After reading the many inputs I came across one that went back to 19th August 2010 and started by HogKiller.
I have copied and pasted it for posterity and especially for those of us that will not be beaten by the not so obvious !!

Discussion Starter • #1 Aug 19, 2010 (Edited)
My New (used) 99 SLK230 had a bummed out AC/Heater control. I had a choice buy a new unit at MB for a mere $750 USD and a $250 labor charge 🇹🇩 or get a used one $75 - $135 and install it myself. :tu: BTW LOOK around, there are several places that will screw you over big time on pricing.🇹🇩

I do have pictures and will actually do a real show and tell later. As Promised SLK230 R170 AC/Heater Control :biglaugh:

Tools needed:
Genuine MB radio removal slides, $15.00
Previously loved AC/Heater Control
Small tip Screw driver
Medium/Small Phillips Screw Driver
Difficulty .... If you know what the above tools are you're fine.
Time, 15 minutes, yes it's really that easy.
Important things 1. Make sure your Fan & Flow dials are pointed straight up, this will save you a ton of anguish.
2. Careful with the two screws you'll be removing...voice of experience here.

1. Use MB Slides and remove radio, no need to disconnect.
2. Remove the 2 small philip screws up on the upper edge inside were the radio was.
3. Remove the cup holder with the small flat head, insert from top center and pry cup holder down slightly and pull.
4. Pull/tilt panel out and up slightly.
The Vents are a slip fit from the top so a little wiggle and pull will release the panel.
The Unit you're replacing is still in the dash. MAKE SURE THE DIALS ARE POINTING UP.

5. Pull straight out. There is a Electrical Connector on the back.
6. Press in small tab and flip gray bar all the way down, this releases the connector. Remove.

Reverse procedure to install, MAKE SURE THE DIALS ARE POINTING UP on the unit your installing, failure to do this WILL make your life a living hell. added 9/3/10 Make sure the 'posts' on the back go into their respective holes. I missed one, the directional flow. oops. Update 9/6/10 The posts will only go in one way, issue is you've got to get the alignment dead nuts, you can see the white posts on the control unit, but where they go is black. You reach up through where the radio was and try to guide the posts into the holes. Gets kinda tough with old eyes. :mad:

Now works like it's suppose to.

Take money you saved and buy some bling for the toy. 🍺

·
2,759 Posts
That Reverse Procedure may well help a lot of people. Thanks for that.

Sent from my phone when my back was turned.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts