Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

1999 SLK 230 Kompressor
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I had the vehicle transported to Ontario, Canada only to have the ABS Hydraulic unit fail putting the car into limp mode. I was able to source a replacement unit from an auto salvage outfit in the UK. Does anyone know whether the unit can be installed 'plug and play' or will it require reprogramming?

Peter

Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
You should at very least Check the Version Codings match what is fitted to your Car, also good practice to re calibrate the two G Sensors ................

Only SDS can do this ;)

HTH :)

1999 SLK 230 Kompressor
Discussion Starter #3
DAVE2302

All greek to me! I am not the mechanic ... just the owner. Can you please explain / expand on your email?

SDS is the Mercedes Star Diagnostic System which anyone who wants to work on these cars should have, that is the only part of my post which is perhaps not plain English ;)

If your mechanic has that machine he will understand perfectly what I am saying, if he doesn't I suggest you find a mechanic that actually knows what he is doing with MB's and therefore does have the correct SDS machine ...................

There are some great mechanics around, but regular garages and mechanics simply do not understand these and other later Cars with multiple Computer Modules communicating via CAN networks.
Computer geeks do, but they don't understand the workings of the Cars components, so they have no clue either.
I tried training a local lad who was real good with Computers and Programming, waste of time didn't know how an EGR interacts with other parts etc etc etc

HTH :)

Reactions: M4rCu5

Registered 2001 SLK230
Peter,
When the ABS Module failed on my '01 SLK230, it caused the ABS Pump to run continuously even with the ignition off and the key removed. My indy friend scanned my car and confirmed that it was a failed module. I purchase a used ABS unit from a parts yard with the same numbers. I only replaced the module unit and that resolved my problem...no programming required.

When the ABS Module failed on my '01 SLK230, it caused the ABS Pump to run continuously even with the ignition off and the key removed. My indy friend scanned my car and confirmed that it was a failed module. I purchase a used ABS unit from a parts yard with the same numbers. I only replaced the module unit and that resolved my problem...no programming required.
(y)

They are different, yours is Post Facelift and OP Pre Facelift.

Yes that almost certainly proves as I suspected that it doesn't need Programming specifically to the Car as his is earlier, unlike some of the latest modules :)

However, as I am always saying, it is good practice to CHECK Version Coding on any Module and also worth re calibrating the G Sensors using SDS ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5
1 - 6 of 6 Posts