Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
*Registered
2007 SLK280
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I am planning on flushing the brake fluid on my SLK280. One set of instructions stated, that you should remove the ABS fuse before vacuuming the fluid. I tried to search info in this forum about the fuses significance in this operation, but could not find any.

How do you see, is there a significance in removing the ABS fuse before flushing the brake fluid?

Thanks!

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
40,845 Posts
Hi!

I am planning on flushing the brake fluid on my SLK280. One set of instructions stated, that you should remove the ABS fuse before vacuuming the fluid. I tried to search info in this forum about the fuses significance in this operation, but could not find any.

How do you see, is there a significance in removing the ABS fuse before flushing the brake fluid?

Thanks!
@Dave2302 @Delucas

·
*Registered
2007 SLK280
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to carry the thought a bit further, if you deprive the ABS unit of power, the brakes still work in every wheel, right? So in that case there must be a free channel of fluid from the main cylinder through the ABS unit to every caliper? So it would make sense that by removing the fuse, every ABS valve is open. And so it would flush the old fluid out from the ABS unit.

Do you know, if there are any compartments or places where the fluid needs to be pushed in with the pump? Places that would not empty only by vacuuming through the brake calipers even when the valves are open?

Thanks!

·
*Registered
2012 SLK350
519 Posts
Just to carry the thought a bit further, if you deprive the ABS unit of power, the brakes still work in every wheel, right? So in that case there must be a free channel of fluid from the main cylinder through the ABS unit to every caliper? So it would make sense that by removing the fuse, every ABS valve is open. And so it would flush the old fluid out from the ABS unit.

Do you know, if there are any compartments or places where the fluid needs to be pushed in with the pump? Places that would not empty only by vacuuming through the brake calipers even when the valves are open?

Thanks!
Don't think I would push any fluid with a pump.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
476 Posts
Just did a brake fluid flush today on the 55 using Ate Type 200 dot 4 fluid. No there is no need in removing fuses. It is a mechanical proces without even the ignition on. If you replace it every 2 years like you should the ‘old’ fluid is not that old and the bit of moisture from forgotten corners will even out across the system

·
*Registered
2007 SLK280
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thank You for your comments. I decided to forget the abs unit and just go ahead and change the fluid. I vacuumed the reservoir empty and filled it with fresh liguid. Then starting from rear right vacuumed fluid out. After the four calipers I also bled the clutch slave cylinder. The colour of the old liquid was the same as the new, so, no way of knowing, if I vacuumed enough. I had 1 litre of fluid, and I vacuumed about the same amount from every five points. Did I get all of the old fluid out?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts