Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all
After a few years of trouble free commuting in the slk and focusing on other hobbies I am back with a question related to the ABS/BAS light which recently lit up on my dash.

It initially came on when I had to apply the brakes kind of hard but a low speed. One wheel may have blocked just a bit. Light hasn't come off since. My brake lights work fine as does everything else (apart from the ASR off). When I start the engine the light comes on immediately - unless I apply the brake when starting the engine in which case it comes on when I release the brake.

I had the brake fluid and master cylinder replaced a few months ago. Could this be related to air in the abs module? Will the auto diagnose at start up detect air in the system?

Thanks for any input you may be ably to provide.

Raindog

·
Founding Member 2006
109,002 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Yes, After I googled around (sorry Jeff, should have mentioned that I did so prior to posting) I could see in various places that the brake pedal sensor is a common culprit for this light to come on. However, it is my impression that this would also cause the brake lights to fail to light up? Mine work just fine.
Will of course try cycling the steering wheel to clear codes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update/solved

Sure enough, it was the brake pedal sensor!
I had convinced myself after reading a lot of posts on my symptoms that a failing brake pedal switch would also cause the brakelights to fail (mine worked fine) and that the BAS/ASR light in the dash would come on only after applying the brakes (mine came on immediately upon ignition at every start).

On advice from Curro101 I went ahead and replaced the switch and voila - light is out :smile:. Thanks man - truly appreciatedY)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.