Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My latest addition to "Mabel's Outings". Taken last Monday when the sun was out. :smile:
Just cruising on a great road taking in some of Scotland's magnificent scenery.
One "moment" :surprise: at 7.30 min, and deliberately slowed up by a pick up at 23.50 min :frown:, otherwise a clear run. :smile:

You guys "down south" really need to organise a trip north, you'd love it. >:D

·
14,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DAMN, I just skimmed that, and the 7:35 mark would have scared the crap out of me, how close was that?
I was half expecting it to edge out further, so quite scary on approach. It was only when I passed it that I realised there wasn't anyone in the car. It is one of the worst examples of parking I've come across, especially as they could have pulled further off the road. Imagine if that had been two trucks passing. :surprise:

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,856 Posts
There are so many good driving roads in that area. You do realise that if you'd turned left at the junction at 15:39 and headed west, you'd have reached this point after a further 10 miles or so. We tried to get there ourselves but an accident on the A82 stopped us so we went on another route west instead. Lovely road. Ended up here (and yes, that is Mrs. D):
IMGP2777.jpg

I put up with the A9 but tend to go the scenic route (as signposted) when I head north (we have stayed twice in a cottage between Dunkeld and Pitlochry) and there are some splendid roads around that area. A favourite of mine when I'm up there is to take the A822 west from Dunkeld and then turn right for Glen Quaich. Single track, but the visibility is excellent, the road twisty and the scenery superb.
P1120281.JPG

I'll .. er .. stop hijacking your thread now.

And I'm sorry it's a 530D. But it was still a fantastic drive! >:D

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,473 Posts
Great video Davie, I'm one "southerner" definitely up for a Scottish road trip at some point. I was born in Ayrshire and the last time I was in Scotland was 2004 for my honeymoon. Drove lots of great roads, furthest north I got was Inverness, also went to Aviemore (Cairngorms) and west to the Kyle of Lochalsh, Eileen Donan, Isle of Skye etc. Pretty sure I did that stretch heading north to Fort William, stunning, loved it! Long overdue a return trip!

·
2,856 Posts
Heading up to Glencoe next Saturday,
Hope you have a lovely drive. Think about that turning I pointed out 15:39 into @DAVIETHESCAFF 's video - it leads to the point where Bond and M stopped on their route to Skyfall. Maybe an SLK selfie there? Who knows.

·
Long Time Member 2005 SLK350
3,701 Posts
hummm been thinking where my 24hr road trip will be this year........and now going in your direction

cheers fella , when I sort out time off I will put a thread up and see if we can meet up for a coffee or just a drive.

my norm are sleeping bag in car and camping stove to heat up any road kill for food !!!!!!!

·
14,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hummm been thinking where my 24hr road trip will be this year........and now going in your direction

cheers fella , when I sort out time off I will put a thread up and see if we can meet up for a coffee or just a drive.

my norm are sleeping bag in car and camping stove to heat up any road kill for food !!!!!!!

I'll watch out for your thread Pete, always pleased to meet, and share coffee, the craic, and the open road with other SLKers. Not so sure about reheated road kill ... If you won't be to offended, I may just bring my own sandwiches. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Scotland has to be about the best place in the world to own a sports car. Windy open roads, hardly any traffic and magnificent scenery. My wife wouldn't come with me if I drove up from Wales (too far) which is a pity. Very tempting to go quickly, but the scenery is so grand that it's nice just to toodle along and enjoy it. One sobering influence is the deer. I was driving from Kylesku to Loch Assent road one night to find a herd of deer sitting in the road! No harm done, but they can be surprisingly stubborn.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350-sold
997 Posts
Scotland has to be about the best place in the world to own a sports car. Windy open roads, hardly any traffic and magnificent scenery. My wife wouldn't come with me if I drove up from Wales (too far) which is a pity. Very tempting to go quickly, but the scenery is so grand that it's nice just to toodle along and enjoy it. One sobering influence is the deer. I was driving from Kylesku to Loch Assent road one night to find a herd of deer sitting in the road! No harm done, but they can be surprisingly stubborn.
I would love to take a driving tour of Great Britain. I was on a 2 week bus tour back in 1994 I think, and loved it. London-Wales-Edinburgh-London. I absolutely loved the little bit of Scotland we saw. I am a Monarch of the Glen fan for the scenery alone. My grandfather was born in Scotland, something about the people that the Romans had to give up invading!

·
2,856 Posts
My wife wouldn't come with me if I drove up from Wales (too far) which is a pity.
My wife and I planned a route up through England taking an overnight around the Lake District the twice we've been up so we make the journey up and down part of the holiday - and let's face it, there are some pretty good roads on the way if you do your research 0:)

Drive Safe

Savcom

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,556 Posts
Dave,
You Lucky Boy.
Days like that are fantastic, good to be alive.
What camera are you using?
I need to try and get a better one for the Lakes.

·
14,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dave,
You Lucky Boy.
Days like that are fantastic, good to be alive.
What camera are you using?
I need to try and get a better one for the Lakes.
Happy days! :smile:

I'm using a GoPro 4, a great bit of kit. :tu:

·
14,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Davie, enjoyed that, we need to come back soon, but we're off to Ireland for two weeks this year......
Best
Tony and Libby
I took my Z3 over a couple of times. Some of the southern roads are a bit rough, but they're improving them. Not sure where you and Libby are heading, but if you get a chance, The Ring of Kerry is beautiful. Hope you get sunny days, enjoy! :smile:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts