Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is OK.

I ordered a CarPlay kit from Indiworks for my 2012 SLK350 NTG4.5/4.7. From the start the sound would not work. In trying to get this system to work I was asked to try different pin settings and and still nothing would work. I Skype the company on Thursday night, we worked on it for 2-3 hours, making adjustments in the engineering mode and at the end, even my stock setup had no sound, before it was just with their system hooked up. The biggest problem started when the guy said a ground wire need to be hooked up, so I tried to ground it with something in the car, no help. Now my car is back to NTG4.5, not the NTG4.7 I had. I told the guy I was working with, that if he got my stock system working, I would be happy and it would end, his reply was a laughing/crying emoji and words I am not sure should be written.

I have gotten my system working again after having a few hours to reset everything and changing some setting in the engineering mode. I will now be visiting the MB dealer to have my Comand unit updated again, so about $200, a 3 hour one way trip and most likely a hotel stay.

I am posting this to let people know to think twice about using this company. Their website doesnt say anything about working with NTG4.7, but in an email they said it would work, I am thinking it will not.

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your comand was likely NOT de graded to 4.5.
Are you sure you don't have to just change the color scheme to silver?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Is this not the screen of a NTG4.5? This is what I have now
Motor vehicle Black Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK55 AMG
10,098 Posts
@NMBruce you may find this history of the COMAND APS useful Comand APS - Wikipedia Our cars are similar age ( mine was delivered in Feb 2012) and came with the NTG 4.5 Generation1. Generation 2 came about later with the silver screen and the MFD was also in colour. The NTG 4.7 was not introduced until 2013.

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@NMBruce you may find this history of the COMAND APS useful Comand APS - Wikipedia Our cars are similar age ( mine was delivered in Feb 2012) and came with the NTG 4.5 Generation1. Generation 2 came about later with the silver screen and the MFD was also in colour. The NTG 4.7 was not introduced until 2013.
Thank You.
Back in 2019 the dealer did an upgrade my system and that changed the screen look to my second picture
I am guessing he upgrade the system to NTG4.7

·
Founding Member 2006
112,017 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
1,154 Posts
NTG 4.7 has both color schemes to acomodate vehicles whose original color scheme was yellow.
It's seems like you have changed the configuration and SCN coding would be a good idea.

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
NTG 4.7 has both color schemes to acomodate vehicles whose original color scheme was yellow.
It's seems like you have changed the configuration and SCN coding would be a good idea.

What is SCN coding?
Do I get it done at a dealership?
Is there a way in engineering mode to read what NTG I have ?

Now my Navigation is frozen on this screen
Automotive design Motor vehicle Car Audio equipment Vehicle audio
and I haven’t touch anything

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
1,154 Posts
SCN is short for software calibration number which is maybe not accurate anymore but basically doing SCN coding refers to having the unit coded according to the car VIN.
This is different from a firmware change.

I work in Vediamo so I don't have much experience of this NTG engineering menu, there is definitely a version information section in there.

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SCN is short for software calibration number which is maybe not accurate anymore but basically doing SCN coding refers to having the unit coded according to the car VIN.

I work in Vediamo so I don't have much experience of this NTG engineering menu, there is definitely a version information section in there.

thanks. I think I will take to the dealer, ask them to reset it and update.

This is how screwed up Indiworks has made my system.

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Appointment made for June 10
I will let them reset everything

1 - 13 of 13 Posts