Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be visiting the UK for a week. We leave next Tuesday. We have been invited to attend a ceremony for a very good business associate and friend that will take place at the Guildhall in London. Other than that affair as well as a luncheon at his home in High Wycombe, we have no set plans. Of course we would like to see all the usual tourist attractions like the Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Museums, Tower Bridge, Churchill War Rooms, House of Parliament, Harrods, etc......

I could really use some suggestions of other things to see and am hoping that all of you can help. I will probably rent a car so we can get out into the countryside. We are avid antiquers and would enjoy the villages as much as the city itself.

Can all of you help me make a list of things to do and see? We have been through other parts of Europe but this is the first time in England.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
From High Wycombe,

Oxford is in easy reach with dreaming spires an' all that. An evening walk around the colleges is very nice.

You could also continue north of Oxford a few miles and take in Woodstock and Blenheim Palace. If you're in that area, you might want also to visit Rousham House. It has one of the only remaining William Kent gardens left in the country. Most of the others were 'corrupted' by Capability Brown.

A bit further north:
Warwick Castle is worth a look
Stratford-on-Avon is interesting (if you truly believe that Shakespeare actually wrote the works attributed to him ;) ).
The motor museum at Gaydon is very good.

I'll have a bit more of a think....

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Visit Cambridge and check out the University Buildings, thats a must.

Also wherever you go check out the Red Tourist buses - City Sightseeing Tours.

They are hop on and hop off and so cheap yet give you a good overview of the area and then you can pick which places to see in depth.
They are all over UK , London , Cambridge, Oxford ,Stratford etc etc

Have a great time .

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
If you have time. Take a drive through Cotswolds. Lots of Antique places but all top dollar. The countryside and the villages are worth a visit

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Stinger, "the locals" will provide the best insight, but as a fellow tourist that ranks London and UK environs as among his favorite places to travel in Europe (been there 7 times starting with a 7-week stint back in my early High School days as an exchange student staying in the dorms at Cambridge Trinity Hall)...

Yes, all the main sights in London are a must. You need to at least do a pass through places like the British Museum to see some of the things you've only heard about in history classes and at least get a glimpse at what Egypt and Greece must be like. The V&A (Victoria & Albert) Museum has some great stuff -- including some more contemporary exhibitions like glass works, textiles, etc if you are into that -- it's not too far from Harrods which you need to at least make a pass through -- the food hall makes an outstanding lunch/afternoon place to take a break that you'll not soon forget. If you're into art, the National Gallery just off Traflagar Square has some wonderful pieces from the masters... I'm not a personal fan of the Tate Modern -- too modern for my tastes, but it may flick your Bic and is a great walk over the Thames via the Millinium Bridge from St Paul's Cathedral which you MUST see -- St Paul's is so iconic, take a tour inside if you have the time, and if you're into a few (ha!) stairs, going up to the Whispering Gallery is a highlight. The Tower of London is a BIG MUST -- besides seeing the Crown Jewels, be sure to go into White Tower (the one in the center) and check out some of that armor, also the view from the Tower of Tower Bridge is pretty slick. Hang out with the Beefeaters that do pretty much continuous tours of major parts of the place -- you'll get some history and context that way. The London Eye across the river from Parliament is touristy -- but if you are near there on a relatively clear afternoon (sunsets have great photo ops over Parliament and Big Ben), it's the most awesome view of the city and you'll be happy you spent the time, especially if you go after you've been to some of the other sights first so you can pick out where you've been... Westminister Abbey is a MUST and if you don't take a tour, be sure to at least read lots of the headstones and monuments of who is there as you wander around... If you or your wife are into theatre, something in the West End one evening will be a special treat -- it's sort of like going to Broadway for the first time -- a totally different theatre experience than what we have at newer places here on the West Coast or most of the US. Some UK theatres are even smaller than the Broadway ones, but have excellent productions -- I love how British audiences do/don't interact with the productions compared to Broadway -- so English, I love it. Lots of restaurants in the West End too... It's been 5 years since I was last in London, but there are some really good restaurants as well... A couple higher-end options are Tamarind in Mayfair was the best Indian food I've ever had... Wilton's in St James had great seafood -- best part is that place has been there since the 1700's and is now in the Men's garmet district or something like that. I also had advance reservations at Gordon Ramsay's original place that has just 44 seats -- was pricey, but the classiest food and best service I've ever had in my life, in any country -- Europe, US, or in the East. For drinks, hit the American Bar at the Savoy -- a classic -- I have not been there since the huge remodel (just reopened in the past year or two I believe), but when you read the history and see pictures of who has been there and what some of them did, well, you'll know why it's a special place. It's a classy joint for sure. If your wife wants to do "High Tea" somewhere, the Savoy was a good place when I was last there. ...and I could go on-and-on. I just love London. There are some great parks to stroll through on your way to some other place... Do that. Be sure to take good walking shoes, get a map NOW, and plan out how to use the tube (really easy), and then walk from place-to-place as much as your feet will allow -- you must soak in the people, the places, and the history of a great city.

...and then of course, there are all the places outside of London... Most are at least full-day trips if you want to do that... Cambridge is super, but be sure to go into Kings College Chapel, etc especially if you're into architecture. I agree Warwick Castle is awesome. Windsor Castle is an hour or two train ride from London and worth a visit. If you're into Harry Potter, I really want to go see the sets they have kept in-tact -- partial-day tours are available, but I believe require reservations you would have to investigate.

If you're a planner type-of-guy like I am, this page on my personal website may be helpful with links to some of the places I found useful preparing for my last trip. It's a bit dated I suspect, but the links are still working.

WOW, you're headed to London. I'm so jealous. Have a great time. There is no way you won't.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Wow, no more comments after my probably too overly enthusiastic Yankee post a couple days ago. Sorry if I inadvertently caused the thread to shut down with my long ramble -- was not my intent, but I REALLY DO hope Stinger has a great time in the UK next week. This whole thread got me going as to when I may be able to make it back to the other side of the pond one day, and maybe traveling a lot further beyond where I've ventured before.

·
Super Moderator
10,745 Posts
As mentioned before the colleges in Cambridge are a must and if the weather is nice , punting down the river is great fun , or just watching from the banks in one of the college grounds should give you a laugh or two !!
Not sure if anyone mentioned it , but the London Eye gives you a great view of the city , Westminster and Big Ben , which actually looks small from up there !
Hope you have a great time , what ever you see or do ....

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
There are lots of attractions and places of interest in London alone. Art galleries, museums, historic buildings and places. It would be easy to spend a week there soaking it up.

You could also see a lot of the countryside by taking the train to say York, where you would see one of the finest cathedrals in the country and still has part of the old city walls nd streets.

The colleges at Cambridge are beautiful too.

A lot of it depends on what you want to see and what your interests are.

England has an abundance of ancient buildings, monuments, historic places, pubs, beautiful countryside, friendly if grumpy :) people. Ditto Wales and Scotland.

London is only one city in England, it doesn't define the rest of the UK, anymore than New York defines the USA.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
There is so much to see in the UK that even a lifetime wouldnt be long enough :) I am approaching my 70th year and still havent seen lots of wonderful places in this relatively small country despite having spent years driving all over it. Its a country of contrasts from the ultra modern to the very old and quaint. From Stonehenge to the Shard covers thousands of years, and as Geejay says, London is only a fraction of what the UK has to offer the tourist. Enjoy your trip :)

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
What a timely thread. I will also be visiting the UK for my first time on 5/19 for a week. One of the main events as part of my tour of London will be a day at the Chelsea Flower show. I also appreciate all the great suggestions & recommendations. Wish I could take the Black Widow with me to Rooom A Zoom Zoom around the English countryside. I'm So looking forward to experience your Amazing Great Britain!

Have a Super trip Stinger!

Drive Fast! (and look out for us bloody tourists!...I'll be one of them!
R)
BobbyM

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My thanks to everyone for the wonderful ideas. It is obvious that on this trip we will be just "touching the surface" of all that your wonderful country has to offer. You have given me ample ideas and I will begin planning accordingly.

Again, thank you.

Steve

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today is our last day here in this wonderful city. One week is no where near enough, although we have seen most of the important sights here in London. Tonight we will be attending a White Tie and Tails event in the Guild hall as my friend (and the reason for this trip) is the Master of The Worshipful Company of Furniture Makers where he will be stepping down and ` passing the baton ` after his year of service, an 800 year old tradition, and a great way to end this holiday.

London is truly one of the finest cities I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. With friendly people, proud history, good food, brilliant art and great theater. Next time we will have to spend more time in the countryside.

Of course one of the highlights was a dinner with John (UK-C200) and his lovely wife Louise. Thank you to all for this memorable experience and........... Long Live the Queen! :hail::tu::Beer:

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Glad you enjoyed your trip. John and Louise are great people and I am looking forward to seeing them in a couple of weeks time. Hopefully this time Louise wont need to attend to my head wounds LOL Have a safe trip home

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad you enjoyed your trip. John and Louise are great people and I am looking forward to seeing them in a couple of weeks time. Hopefully this time Louise wont need to attend to my head wounds LOL Have a safe trip home
Yes Jon, hopefully not. We heard about this over dinner. ;)

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I will never live that incident down lol, but it could have been worse if I had been seriously hurt and had to go to hospital way up on the borders of Scotland :) Netx time you come over to the UK you will have to venture out into the countryside and meet a few of us :)

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would like that very much. I wish I had another week here. Would see the countryside and get to Scotland. Oh well, hopefully soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts