Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered Still looking for an SLK
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to visit the Rhine area via the WW1 battlefields (where I've been before) and wonder if anyone has driven down the area staying in small hotels of B&B's? I lived in Germany for 3 years yonks ago(In Paderborn taking the Queens shilling!) and speak pretty good German.
Just wonder if there is anything specific to watch out for / worth visiting etc.
Also, I'm thinking of getting a boot rack to carry a small lightweight bag for perhaps dirty washing or whatever!
Any ideas / advice most welcome.:Beer:

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Should be a great trip. Been through the area a few times.

I highly recommend stopping by Vimy Ridge; you can tour the tunnels there. We stayed in a nice little hotel in Zweibrucken (something with Rose in it.. I can find it for you, if you're thinking of going through there.). Heidelburg is worth the visit and there is a great science/car/vehicle museum at Sindlefingen (sic) near Heidleburg. I highly recommend the museums at Stuttgart (MB and Porsche; I can give you an email for an apartment there). Shoot me a pm if you want to to and fro about places.

I recommend googling "self catering cottages" or "verienhaeuser" - though these generally rent out for 3-4 days at a time, but that would give you the opportunity to see things within 2hr or so of one locale, rather than packing and unpacking each day.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
.. .. .. Also, I'm thinking of getting a boot rack to carry a small lightweight bag for perhaps dirty washing or whatever!
Don't do it :eek: - anything that puts extra strain on the boot/roof mechanism is not good.

You'd be amazed at how much 'room for two' you have in your boot.

One thing I do on long bike trips is take old socks etc. with me, then just leave them in hotels as I go. No washing problems :)

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
I agree (re boot)... Cath and I have no problem shipping out for a week with the top down. Fair whack of space behind the seats as well...just have to plan your kit. Think of it like packing your field pack. Much like Woolly, you can always take a half day to wash or shill out for a night in a hotel and have them do the lot. Take what you have to have, and buy more as you go, if you must. Assuming you're taking someone?

·
Registered
350 Posts
i did a bit of time in Werl. (reme) and visited the monhe dam nearby.
i also went to a massive rock night in some marquees in lyppstadt.
i don't have any idea if the rock tents are still there but i think the dam maybe!
i must admit i didn't learn german except for 'beer' and 'chicken and chips' please!
"danka"
also the eatery of choice when i was there was Kosta's Grill. they did a cracking Gyros and garlic sauce. many a long lazy afternoon spent there. (it was 25+ years ago though)
:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts