• 2007 Silver...58K...$23,995

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, looking for an R171 55. Found two in a nearby state which would make for a fun trip back home for my first drive; both cars are at the same dealer. Car A is a black '06 with 111k miles on it, twin spoke AMG wheels. Car B is silver, '07 with about 58k miles on the clock, and is about $7 grand more expensive.

I've asked the (out of state) dealer questions about the car, and got the typical "You'll love this car. It's in perfect condition" statement. Before pulling the trigger on either car I will get it inspected; found a really good and thorough one in the area. My question to the SLKWorld community though, is this: based on the CarFax reports I've linked below, and mileage on the cars, is which one is the better buy? Is ~50k miles less worth the extra $7 grand, or will a higher mileage 55 hold up well and save me $$$ in the long run?

Apologize for the link to IMGUR, but the images were to large to attach in here: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,241 Posts
Impossible to tell without viewing.

A well cared for 100K plus car has a better future than a 50K car that was serviced but not loved.

Make sure you take the checklist with you if you go to view.
That might decide for you:
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/68666-new-used-vehicle-pickup-checklist.html

Figure the cost of needing brakes, tyres etc if one has components that are close to limit.
Same make of tyre all round?
Quality tyre?
Different make front over back could have a reason (they may have found that set up works best for them),
but I'd expect both sets to be quality.

One thing I have learnt about US cars (this forum is an education) is the importance of the states
that the car has spent time in.
These cars should be before the service records went digital...
so the service book can answer that.

Happy hunting.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,081 Posts
Long story short, looking for an R171 55. Found two in a nearby state which would make for a fun trip back home for my first drive; both cars are at the same dealer. Car A is a black '06 with 111k miles on it, twin spoke AMG wheels. Car B is silver, '07 with about 58k miles on the clock, and is about $7 grand more expensive.

I've asked the (out of state) dealer questions about the car, and got the typical "You'll love this car. It's in perfect condition" statement. Before pulling the trigger on either car I will get it inspected; found a really good and thorough one in the area. My question to the SLKWorld community though, is this: based on the CarFax reports I've linked below, and mileage on the cars, is which one is the better buy? Is ~50k miles less worth the extra $7 grand, or will a higher mileage 55 hold up well and save me $$$ in the long run?

Apologize for the link to IMGUR, but the images were to large to attach in here: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Would depend on many factors - will it be a DD or a weekend car? How many miles do you plan to put on it annually? Are you a DIYer or would you need an Indy or dealer for every service/repair? Maintenance history of both cars? etc...

In general, bcos these cars are expensive to maintain and repair, I would personally buy the lower mileage one. See if you can negotiate the price down some.

Good luck...

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,106 Posts

·
95,106 Posts

·
95,106 Posts
Poll has been posted

please vote :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Impossible to tell without viewing.

A well cared for 100K plus car has a better future than a 50K car that was serviced but not loved.

Make sure you take the checklist with you if you go to view.
That might decide for you:
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/68666-new-used-vehicle-pickup-checklist.html

Figure the cost of needing brakes, tyres etc if one has components that are close to limit.
Same make of tyre all round?
Quality tyre?
Different make front over back could have a reason (they may have found that set up works best for them),
but I'd expect both sets to be quality.

One thing I have learnt about US cars (this forum is an education) is the importance of the states
that the car has spent time in.
These cars should be before the service records went digital...
so the service book can answer that.

Happy hunting.
Thanks! The 07 seemed to have spent most of its life in AZ, but spent time back North East as well.

The '06 spent time between California and NY.

Would depend on many factors - will it be a DD or a weekend car? How many miles do you plan to put on it annually? Are you a DIYer or would you need an Indy or dealer for every service/repair? Maintenance history of both cars? etc...

In general, bcos these cars are expensive to maintain and repair, I would personally buy the lower mileage one. See if you can negotiate the price down some.

Good luck...
During the summer time it'll split time with my V70R, depending on the day. It'll go on a couple trips as well ~500 miles roundtrip at a time. Winter time it'll be garaged between first and last snow. I'm not afraid of general DIY (filters, etc), but once it starts getting complicated it'll go to an indy. Nearest dealer is 2 hours away.

I don't mind expensive maintenance/repair if it only happens once a season or so. What I'm afraid of is driving home and having to replace a tranny and put $3k into it, or something similar.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,081 Posts
Looked at it the other day :) Beautiful car you've got! I'm trying to stay closer to the $20k mark; something about I should try to act my age and be financially responsible haha.
In that case, you should buy the car that fits your budget...:wink: Truth be told, I believe the 07 is overpriced... It should retail for no more than $20K tops. Personal choice for me when buying a used car is to buy one with the lowest mileage closest to my budget... but its your money....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In that case, you should buy the car that fits your budget...:wink: Truth be told, I believe the 07 is overpriced... It should retail for no more than $20K tops. Personal choice for me when buying a used car is to buy one with the lowest mileage closest to my budget... but its your money....
I prefer the lowest mileage possible, but for an $8k difference (before making a deal), I wonder if it's worth that extra cash? Especially if the black one were maintained properly.

Black.
Inspect, buy, enjoy.
Go for the black one , I dont like the look of the damage to the front bumper on the silver one or the fact its been left like that.
Yeah it's looking like the black one is the way to go because of preference and costs. Plus, I swear Mercedes' were designed to look best in black.

Good eye frogfoot, I didn't even notice that damage below the foglight!

Ironically, I think I found the black car on youtube when the he went to sell it back in 2013, he owned it for about 4 years and 50k miles. Looks like he is an enthusiast, might try to contact him to get any details.

·
95,106 Posts
Look at my albums......Black....You are getting sleepy...Black......

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2000 SLK320
210 Posts
Good eye frogfoot, I didn't even notice that damage below the foglight!
That damage was the first thing I saw. Anyone who tries to sell such a car at a ridiculous price without putting right damage like that is in need of therapy.

Black rules!!!!

·
95,106 Posts
I had missed it myself and I posted the picture!

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,449 Posts
(waving finger) Jeff, I guess you are losing that drill sgt. ability to spot minutiae! Thats what happens when you start to care bout people! ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts