Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was enjoying a nice day out visiting a couple of local wineries in Prince Edward County. I pulled into Hiller Creek Estates winery and shortly after heard a loud bang. I could not see anything as I was on the patio. A member of staff said he saw a fireball when several m/c collided with a Mercedes convertible. Several locals went to help but the scene was gruesome apparently. As the scene of the accident was at the junction of the winery entrance no vehicles were allowed to leave. I hung around an hour or so but the closure was expected to be the rest of the afternoon and into the evening. Under normal circumstances being held captive in a winery might not be a bad idea but under these tragic circumstances that's a different matter. However, members of the staff were absolutely great (and so was the wine and pizza by the way) there was myself and a couple from Quebec unable to get out. The staff made us feel really welcome. One staff member suggested we try some off roading through the grapevines and rocky trail and then orientate sideways up an embankment to get back up onto the road avoiding the accident scene. He had witnesses a local resident at a nearby house driving a 911 along a grass ledge on the side of the embankment. At first I was a bit concerned given the terrain, but surely if a 911 could do it why not give it a bash.

Well I must say I was impressed what this car do. I managed to get through the grapevines using a space in between the vines and then without damaging the undercarriage manoeuvre sideways up the embankment across the ledge and onto the road. Looking at the accident scene from a distance I saw nothing but a mass of tangled wreckage and the front half of a convertible possibly an SLK in a ditch, apart from the front there wasn't much left.

On a sad note apparently the car collided with 3 M/C. At least 1 dead possibly 2 ...no update on the driver.

It just brings it home how quickly life can change; enjoy it to the fullest you just never know what's around the next corner.

Attachments

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,795 Posts
So you are ok? It was not you?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you are ok? It was not you?

No thank God...you can see the EMS on the road but I was too far away to really see anything. Apparently really bad and the one of the staff who went to the scene said there were a few 'body parts' scattered over the road...yuk...sorry to be graphic..

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update to my last PM

Here is the latest...given the information provided by the staff member that the vehicle was a Merc convertible and the state of the wreckage that ensued, it seems my identification skills on cars needs to be worked on as the newspapers are reporting the vehicle to be a Miata and not as I first thought an SL or SLK having been influenced by the initial report...my apologies. In any event it was tragic day all round for those involved. From the news...

Prince Edward OPP report that a group of 8 motorcycles were touring the County on Loyalist Parkway, just west of Wellington, when a Mazda Miata suddenly veered into their lane hitting 3 bikes head on.

2 of the motorcycle riders were pronounced dead at the scene. Three others, the driver and passenger from the Mazda Miata, and another motorcycle rider, were rushed to Trenton Memorial with serious to life-threatening injuries.

The accident happened around 2:30 yesterday(saturday) afternoon.

Names of the victims won’t be released until next of kin are notified.

As for the off-roading ....maybe you should give the New Forest a run..>:D

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
...and it's a cruelly small world... one friend, Chris a near witness to this tragedy... another an old and close friend, a victim..
We were in the Niagara, stopped for a tasting and snack when we were texted by a classmate (Royal Military College of Canada, Kingston) that our friend had been in a mortal accident.

BOONE, Edgar Wayne Boone Obituary

Wayne had a great career in the military as an MP including a few peace keeping tours; lately he's been a consultant and professor at Carleton University here in Ottawa. He was a loyal husband and father.

The group he was riding with is referred to as the "1st CAV" - in this case it stands for first Canadian Army Veteran. It's a group of volunteers, all retired military (officers and NCOs) that have motorcycles in common, but reach out to vets and families dealing with PTSD and life after the military.

Smooth roads, sunny skies Wayne.

PS reports at hand have the Miata driver as being 83, and possibly suffered a stroke. The car crossed into the on coming lane from behind a large truck towing a boat, hit the opposite shoulder, then they suspect the wife/passenger pulled the wheel back to avoid the ditch.... Two motorcyclers were killed on impact, a 3rd is in critical condition. Sometimes an undesired outcome (the ditch) is better than a natural reaction to go to safety. So very very sad for all.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Wow, such a tragic story, and very personal for some of us. My prayers and thoughts are with all the victims, their families and friends. As an active motorcyclist, with nearly a 1/2 Century of 'serious' accident free riding, my heart really goes out to the riders. I well understand that if a car just comes at me out of the blue, I am going to get the worst of it.

May they Rest In Peace.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Der Flieger

A horrible thing to happen full stop. But particularly sad given your personal connection. So sorry for your loss.

May those who died Rest in Peace and those who were injured make a full recovery. Condolences to family and friends who mourn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts