Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, thats not what I meant- I realise i should have been clearer.
I meant the panel on the outside of the car which I wish to repaint.

Thanks for your reply though.

Van

·
Registered
4 Posts
Similar question. Is it also possible to get the rear roof pillar off in the same way? I need to either repaint or replace one where rust is coming in the rubber trim area.

Thanks

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,940 Posts
Similar question. Is it also possible to get the rear roof pillar off in the same way? I need to either repaint or replace one where rust is coming in the rubber trim area.

Thanks
Hi old member!

you never made an intro in 2008 so we will let you slide

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

but we do need you to update your vehicle profile with model year 1996-2004
we assume since you are posting in r170 you have one

here is the c pilar removal for the r171. though you have a r170, we think, the procedure should be the same

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-class-diy/29333-diy-replace-rear-window-trim-cover.html

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,130 Posts

Thanks
Subtle differences in model years may matter.

That's why we ask for year in details.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,599 Posts
Subtle differences in model years may matter.

That's why we ask for year in details.
but we do need you to update your vehicle profile with model year 1996-2004
we assume since you are posting in r170 you have one

here is the c pilar removal for the r171. though you have a r170, we think, the procedure should be the same

Guys, I may be wrong and I hold my hands up if I am but I seem to recall that there is no outer removable trim on the R170 C pillars, the bit that holds the rear screen is all one piece with a recess for for the bonded screen.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,940 Posts
you might be correct
I have not had a r170 in 13 years

Maybe one of our r170 experts will jump in

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,599 Posts
And strangely enough, I've had mine for 13yrs Jeff :)

All glass was removed for respray purposes approx 5yrs ago now and I do seem to recall rubbing down a couple of rust spots in the area mentioned. Almost positive that there was no outer removable trim but I've been to bed since then and it was a long time ago :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
And strangely enough, I've had mine for 13yrs Jeff :)

All glass was removed for respray purposes approx 5yrs ago now and I do seem to recall rubbing down a couple of rust spots in the area mentioned. Almost positive that there was no outer removable trim but I've been to bed since then and it was a long time ago :)

This is correct and the only way is to remove the rear screen and correct the rusty area's. It would of course be possible to replace the whole section (rear window frame) if a good one could be found as picture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.