Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was taking the wife to work this morning and had a bit of craziness. We were following a passenger van owned by a taxi company, and doing about 55 down the highway. All of a sudden, we were showered by flying glass! The passenger window of the van shattered and the shards hit my car at full speed. Nicks all over the hood and roof of my baby. :(

It took a while to reach the company, and they had already investigated the van damage. They have no idea what happened, but are guessing someone took a shot at the van with a BB gun. They could not find a rock or a bullet. Would have been hard for a rock to hit the passenger window with that kind of force, but I suppose it's possible.

Looks like my baby is going in for a paint job. But at least we didn't get shot at.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Traumatic alright!
At least you had the roof up if there are nicks on the roof! Would be a different story if it was down I would imagine!!

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Traumatic alright!
At least you had the roof up if there are nicks on the roof! Would be a different story if it was down I would imagine!!
Good point!! I didn't even think of that.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,419 Posts

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
I'm glad to hear there were no injuries. One of the reasons I like the MB is the safety aspect. Hopefully most of us will never need most of those features, but good brakes, roll capability, stout roof, etc, are all priceless. After reading the various stories on here (a moose comes to mind), I find my self reassured that the car will protect me. Just to offer encouragement, I had to replce the bumper on my 320, and the work was flawless. I expect you'll be able to find a good shop that will treat you well.

good luck

dj

PS I was in Phoenix yesterday. We use the "Desert Nights" van company and stay at the Hilton Squaw Peak. It wasn't them, was it?

·
Registered
450 Posts
After reading the various stories on here (a moose comes to mind), I find my self reassured that the car will protect me.
lol yes this story reassured me too!
After I parked my Rover ihalfway up a power pole, and walked away, the cops said it was lucky I was speeding (Yes he actually said that!) and driving a "european" car.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Sorry to hear. Glad you guys came out OK.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was in Phoenix yesterday. We use the "Desert Nights" van company and stay at the Hilton Squaw Peak. It wasn't them, was it?
Nope. It was one of the large taxi conglomerates in Arizona, but I would rather not name them till this is all worked out. So far, they have been fairly understanding, and equally confused by the whole thing. I know that the driver didn't do anything crazy to get someone mad at him. At least not while I was behind him. He was just cruising along. Very wierd event.

Hope you enjoyed Phoenix. Even though it was a cool 62 degrees yesterday. It will be back to 75 tomorrow. :tu:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
WOW! Crazy stuff, sorry to hear about the mishap...but at least it wasn't a moose *L*. Good thing though you got someone to deal with to work out, just make sure you go with someone who does GOOD work...good luck!

·
Registered
297 Posts
First the people, secondly the car!

I´m glad to hear you are ok, nowadays we never Know what could happen out there. Like our mate said, that would be a lot different with the top down.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Sorry to hear Cold Shot, glad there were no injuries from all that glass. Hope it gets sorted out soon.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just had the insurance adjuster take a look at the car. Man, is this guy a friend of any Mercedes owner! He wants half the car painted and the windscreen replaced. Far more work than I imagined would be authorized. Guess it pays to maintain your policy for over 25 years.

Now I am just concerned about paint and finish matching.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Make sure they get you the "correct" windscreen, OEM for one w/rain sensors (IIRC), paint match shouldn't be a problem, me think :)

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eddy, thanks for the tip about the windscreen! I have to get in for my first "Service C" within the next week, so will make sure I get the right part number. May have MB do the windscreen aside from the body shop work.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,048 Posts
might try to squeeze a full paint job out of it...if the hood and roof need to be repainted, then the MINIMUM is to have the front half of the car painted....that's not very exceptional. You might also talk to the bodyshop afterwards and see if you can pay the difference to get the rest of the car painted. Colors will match either way, but finish will never be exactly the same.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.