Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a story about smoking anyone at a stoplight (though it happens on occasion), but it's one of those stories that makes me smile whenever it comes to mind.

I was sitting in the 280, top down for a beautiful day, radio playing low and waiting outside a pharmacy for my girlfriend to finish her shopping. Parked right next to the door, I watched as an unhappy house frau came striding past looking like she just traded her broom for a suppository prescription.

A few seconds later, the Mr. came out of the store, slowly but clearly following the boss. As he was passing, he stopped beside the driver door, placed his hand gently on the roll bar behind my seat and said, quietly and almost in wonder, "No back seat."

I looked up at him, smiled and replied, "No back seat driver."

He paused for a second. Then he grunted, somewhat dejectedly, "Uh huh," and scurried on to his own existence.

If you've never had that kind of "Damn, I'm lucky" reminder, I hope its in your near future. That IS the SLK experience. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
14,813 Posts
Awesome, my Dad always told me look at the family and mother 1st if you don,t like what you see run like hell. Never look at the girlfriend 1st because you will end up with the mother in law in a Opel Sedan. Well those wise words stayed with me the girlfriend got her Mercedes i got my Slk and we take 2 cars to spend time with the family and as soon as my 66 Fintail is running again the Basset are the backseat drivers. Those hounds just love riding in my 66 in the backseat listing to Frank Sinatra on the 8track. The small pleasures in Life in a oh so hectic world

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
...I watched as an unhappy house frau came striding past looking like she just traded her broom for a suppository prescription.

A few seconds later, the Mr. came out of the store, slowly but clearly following the boss. As he was passing, he stopped beside the driver door, placed his hand gently on the roll bar behind my seat and said, quietly and almost in wonder, "No back seat."

I looked up at him, smiled and replied, "No back seat driver."
:biglaugh:F-U-N-N-Y story. No back seat, how about a single seat?

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
Amazing story! I love reading the kill stories, but that one is near the top of my favorites list!

I also live in the DC area (NW DC). What area do you live in? feel free to toss me a PM... dont want to clog up your post.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Great story and I can relate. I have more than once asked my wife if I should pull over so she can get in the back seat. She just smiles and reminds me that she is the navigator when we rally.

The Tracks are calling me

·
Registered
333 Posts
My wife and I stopped at a Walgreen's a couple of nights ago to pick up a couple of items. When I pulled into the parking spot, I noticed a lady standing on the sidewalk near where I parked. I can best describe her apperance by saying "bag lady". As I exited my vehicle and walked near her, I heard her proclaim, "nice car". I responded by saying, "Yes, we really enjoy it". I rewarded her comment by showing her how the top fits into the trunk. She was amazed! I guess everyone enjoys a nice ride.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Filling up gas yesterday I had a gentlemen on the other side of the pump proclaim "Nice car, what is that?" as he was inspecting the badges and the quad pipes.

I replied "Its an AMG" (out of habit), but then realized he might not know what that was I said, "Its a Mercedes". He smiled and said "I don't know much about those cars, I thought it was an M or something, but thats a sick ride!"

Made me smile as I drove off =)

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,638 Posts
sick or slick ride?

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
sick or slick ride?
For the younger generation sick is a good thing. It is an adjective: great, "cool", "awesome". (from urban slang).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Love the story! I have been with my girlfriend for some time now, and we definatly have a future together. The first thing she said when I brought my SLK home after I bought it was "There's no back seat". I replied with a grin "I know". She gave me an evil eye that thankfully went away as soon as she saw the top dissapear into the trunk!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
My favorite was a haute colture dressed African American lady near Lincoln Road yelling out, "Oh don't you look fine in your hot car? Go on with your bad self!"

Second to that was the little boy pointing at the car, running over and yelling "Daddy, Daddy, look, a Hot Rod!"

·
Registered
284 Posts
Every time I go through the drive through I have a lady that says to me "When you gonna take me for a ride?! That's such a hot car! I want you to take it over to I75 and open that baby up as high as it'll go! I'll even pay a speeding ticket if you get one!!" LOL

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
My favorite was a haute colture dressed African American lady near Lincoln Road yelling out, "Oh don't you look fine in your hot car? Go on with your bad self!"

Second to that was the little boy pointing at the car, running over and yelling "Daddy, Daddy, look, a Hot Rod!"
That is hilarious and heartwarming at the same time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just love how people love the car when the top is down. They'll lean out their own windows to say, "nice car", "that looks fun" or my favorite, "take me with you".
Last week it was 70 degrees in December in Atlanta, and the bank teller sighed and said, "y'all have a such nice day to have the top down!"

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I just love how people love the car when the top is down. They'll lean out their own windows to say, "nice car", "that looks fun" or my favorite, "take me with you".
Last week it was 70 degrees in December in Atlanta, and the bank teller sighed and said, "y'all have a such nice day to have the top down!"

When Louise and I were stateside for Thanksgiving, it was mid 70's in Louisiana, and we did enjoy some quality top-down time. Girls at the local Starbucks kept reminding me that summer was over! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts