Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a glorious day today, so the wife and I decided to drive down to Oceanside pier to see the high surf and big waves (8 to 15’ high) that we’ve been hearing about on the news. I then ask her if we should take our dog, Jazzy, along. Jazzy’s good in cars, but has never rode in the SLK. Being that the passenger seat is going to be shared, we didn’t know if she would stay in front of the seat, or lay on the wife, lap dog style (she’s a 40 pounder).
We start off lap style and that went well..she really enjoyed the sensation of top down driving. After awhile, while the car was moving in traffic, the top started to close and the windows started to move! I realized just then that Jazzy must have “one touched” the control button, thanks to Smart Top. So the rest of the drive I had my right hand over the control so she couldn’t do it again. I suppose I could have changed the setting to turn one touch off, but didn’t think about it at the time.
On the way home she stayed in front of the seat and seemed OK with that also.
That might be the only regret I have about the SLK.. not enough room for the pooch.
Any others take their “babies” for a ride?

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Hey Jazzy! Wheatons rule! Dutchess the Wonder Dog has also been out for a spin, but solo (with Dad). Top down was a new experience - like walkies (sun, sky, smells) but so fast!

·
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, do you use the seat belt to secure Dutchess or do you just leave her on the seat? I think we're supposed to use it, but I can't get over the feeling that it'll get tangled up somehow.

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
I know that dog seats with restraints are available at better pet stores. Keeps driver and doggie safe!

·
6,796 Posts
Dutch is quite happy to sit on the seat (which I cover with a blankie so the toes don't damage the leather) and observe/snifferize as we drive without the belt. I recognize the risk if I should have to brake aggressively, or God forbid, we get pranged. She's not a long range driver any more (we used to go 700km/450miles to Grandma's with her between the kids or on Mom's lap) so the risk is minimal.
Gregg is right though, there are harnesses available.

·
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's an adorable pooch!! Did you call the breed a Wheaton?
Thanks, she really is as sweet as she looks.
Formal name for the breed is Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, they're one those hypoallergenic, non shedding breeds.

·
6,796 Posts
...and they are brilliant. Most dogs will "hoover" their food; wheatons pace them selves (though ours has become a foody - eclectic tastes!). When Dutchess was a pup we taught her to ring a bell to go out. We moved, showed her where the bell was once and she was good to go. About a week later I heard the bell ring, but she wouldn't go out. Three minutes later she rang again, but still wouldn't go out. Repeated a third time. As I walked past her, she smacked her water dish with her paw! She'd figured out that Dad has to walk past the empty bowl to get to the back door - certainly he'll notice it's empty!
Kids also taught her to "sign" for a cookie!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.