Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK! Here's the situation. I've been messing with the A/C system for a couple of days. I've searched all over for what I believe to be a typical problem concerning these cars and that's recharging the system.

According to the gauge on the Freon recharge bottle I purchased at Autozone, the system is slightly below full. I say only slightly because the compressor kicks on after i cycle the EC button. The first time I tried filling the system, the needle on the gauge didn't move. I sat there for a good 10 minutes waiting for something to happen: nothing (although there was a wave-like movement in the needle)!

Did a search and discovered the Duo-valve! Used the cleaning process that was linked to the tread. I also used a multi-meter to check the varying voltage between heat and A/C-that worked as well. Heck, I could even hear those duo valves clicking in movement, so those were good.

Now with all of that completed, she's still not creating cold air-only slightly cooler than ambient. I'm wondering if my issue is as simple as a possibly broken recharge gauge/bottle or is there another item on the HVAC system I need to consider? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
911 Posts
I bet you ran in to the same problem I just did. The new cans have a valve inside the top and you need an adapter to get the old style fillers to work. Go get your adapter for $3. No idea why they don't tell you when you buy it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bet you ran in to the same problem I just did. The new cans have a valve inside the top and you need an adapter to get the old style fillers to work. Go get your adapter for $3. No idea why they don't tell you when you buy it.
OH, I SOOO hope you're right. Just called Action Gator Tire and they want 120 for vacuum, check and recharge-not a bad price, but I can put that into the resto job. Thx Jet_fl!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,332 Posts
OH, I SOOO hope you're right. Just called Action Gator Tire and they want 120 for vacuum, check and recharge-not a bad price, but I can put that into the resto job. Thx Jet_fl!
Thank him in person
He will be at the Nov 2nd meet!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts