Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered 2002 SLK320
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi @Bartiny @M4rCu5 (and anyone else purchasing)

OK, so your new package arrives, (hopefully today for at least 2 members 馃榿 ) ..............
Once you've un packed it all, and made sure it's all there, what next ?

Plug Lappy into charger, the Battery likely needs it.

Get a Coffee and popcorn: ............

Read on, be patient before booting it up, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it >:D >:D >:D ...................

SDS can be a steep learning curve for some guys, a lot of which can be because the translations from German to English are, well, to put it mildly they are, ahem, [email protected]@rdised, ahem, because the student or whoever it was who translated it all did not have a clue what was what on a motor car !!

One has to remember that a lot of main dealer software is a bit clunky and old fashioned, you will use a lot of your keyboards F1 F2 F3 etc, or you can click on the F1 etc Icons at the bottom of the Screen, sometimes, a single or double click, on a listing, for example ME 2.8 after doing a "Quick Test" will take you into that ECU !!

"Quick Test", now that's a fine example of bad translation and means an "all modules scan" ................ On a fully loaded S Class quick is the last thing it is ................ Go make a Coffee 馃榿

I did a brief guide, took some (poor) Screen Photo's this morning to help you guys.

Here goes:-

Do this in your lounge, well away from the Car.

Mux and Leads may or may not need to be plugged in to lappy to have a little play with SIMULATOR, which is a good place to start, lot's including myself have found this un necessary 馃槈 .....

Plug in Your Mux to Laptop, and Diag Lead to Mux, as above, then boot it up, and once the HDD light has stopped flashing simply double click on "DAS Sim" Icon which should take you here ....

Select what you are working on (Cars) ....

Now Select what particular Car , which takes a few steps ....

LHD or RHD ....

Exact Model ....

Now we're ready we can either do a "Quick Test" to scan the whole Car, or just access a single system if we know where we want to go ....

Ignore the last 2 options here you'll not use these they are for MB Reception / Office use etc and need Online Subscription.

When the Quick Test is done you will see a list of all Modules that are present (without going too into depth this is worth a good look, if any are missing it is indicating a problem) .....

Now, click and highlight ME 2.x and either double click it, hit F3 on the Keyboard, or click on the F3 Green Tick Icon, this will ask you to confirm you have read the Health and Safety Blurb, select yes

Now it takes you into the ME ECU and lists all the options you can play with ....

When you are new to this I suggest you stay the heck away from "Developer" and "Initial Start Up" !!

"Actuations" (switches stuff on and off for testing), "Actual Values" (= Live Data) and "Control Unit Adaptations" (= Version Codings etc) can be used initially with care, you can always back out using F1 if you think you might be about to FUBAR 馃槈

Make a note if playing with Version Codings, then if you don't get the result you expected, you can re set it to where it was !! Screen Shots are useful in your early days ;)
Everything can usually be un done but Developer can be a bit naughty if you actuate something when you shouldn't :surprise:

Click on Fault Codes and next you will see any Codes and descriptions, (I'm not sure in Simulator) but when connected to the Car, if you double click a fault code it takes you through steps to check / diagnose in likely order. You will notice in this Simulation there is millions of fault codes, well no surprise there, there really isn't a Car connected lol ....

To Erase Codes, look for a Pencil Eraser >:D hit that and it will ask you to cycle ignition, in SIM there is a button (red arrow) but on Car obviously you need to cycle the Ignition Key following the on screen prompts, (don't just click off and straight back on), wait until SDS says "switch Ign on" !!

This is as far as I went today, plenty for you to take in 馃槈

Also the SIM I did was on my "Old" C3 Based Machine, on which, in SIM mode I have never got the "Ignition On / Off" box to work, I have heard others say the same !!

There is I hope plenty for you to take in right now, but I hope this will help you guys get started 馃槃

Apologies if I've told anything that is obvious, Grannies and Eggs springs to mind ;) , but I tried to imagine this thread as if someone has absolutely no knowledge at all of diagnosticamabobs :biglaugh:

HTH, Cheers Dave

Premium Member
WOW!! @Dave2302
What a great help Thank You very much ;) I have just checked the delivery times in the listing (I know only just now!! I was too eager to buy to check delivery times :) ) Mine will not be delivered until next week sometime, I am in no hurry as my car is running great, and it gives me some time to do research on the system, I was on YouTube last night watching a few demo's, but nothing like your brilliant step by step guide, Cheers.

Might be a good idea to make your guide a sticky??

Thanks Again Dave, Graham.

Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
Cheers @Dave2303 :tu:

As per Bartiny, I'm still waiting for mine to turn up but there's no rush, I could just copy and paste post #3 to be fair >:D

Registered 2002 SLK320
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys,

Thank you all for the comments :)

There is a couple of other things that occured to me which may not be obvious ..............

When looking into the ECU list of things you can do ...............

You will see after "Control Unit Adaptations" there are 2 more items .................

Complete List Of Guided Tests :-

This does not mean you need to do all this, it is just a list of all the tests that can be done on this particular ECU and it can / does vary depending on H/W and S/W, Model Year etc, so this is the exact list for your particular Module :wink:
Useful for reference to see exactly what tests you can do when looking for a particular fault ............. Remember, if you double click on a fault code, DAS / XEntry will automatically take you through the relevant test steps

Full List of Fault Codes and Events:-

Similarly, this does not mean your Module has all these faults / codes in it, it just means these are the list of all fault Codes that the Module can put out IF such a fault occurs :wink:
Again, this one is of interest to see exactly what your Module is looking at, or in Techie Parlance "The ECU's Monitors" >:D

An Engine tuner would use this and Developer to access and switch off things like Post CAT Monitoring, EGR Monitoring etc, in the case where he may want to delete these and not get fault codes popping !! I will likely refer to this when I fit the V8 in my R170 320 V6 and set it all up, I doubt I will be using the second pair of Cat's for example :wink:

Development Data:-

This is your doorway into Developer Mode, there are no "idiot safeguards", it is all in German, google Translate is poor because it is technical abbreviations from German Abbreviatons sometimes, use with absolute caution, do not meddle if your not absolutely certain.

It is here that on some ECU's there is a higher Top Speed Limiter setting, up from the usual (UK) 156MPH to over 200MPH IIRC ..................
>:D You would be looking for a line saying VMax >:D

There is an easy way to translate this without guesswork, dictionaries, google or Helga sat on your knee :surprise: :splif: .....................

Go into the "Version Codings" of the Module you wish to use Developer on, that is in English, print these Screens, now go into Developer Mode for the same Module, and print these Screens. Now look in your Left Margin of these Screens, there will be numbers, like say 0250 - 0254, the same numbers will appear on both sheets, and whatever the English Screen says for lines 0250 - 0254, is the Translation you need >:D
So if it says 0250to 0254 That is telling you there are 5 possible settings for this item :grin:

Last thing I can think of for now ..............

There is something else that you just may come across, and if you do there is a file that can be loaded to unlock some further procedures .................

A long while ago I was re assigning Key Tracks on a Car with EIS, this is a bit sketchy now, but went like this ..........

It was my W220 S Class, and as it's 2 Keys had been lost and new ones obtained, we couldn't personalise these as the replacements were assigned on tracks 7 and 8 in the Cars EIS .................

IIRC only tracks 1 & 2 actually allow you to store your Seat / Mirror / Steering Column / HVAC etc etc Personal settings against your Key and then against the wifes Key etc !! ...........

Anyways, I remember SDS asked me for a password ....................

At which point I almost striped my undies >:D and immediately checked that the WiFi was off thinking it had gotten through to Milton Keynes or even Stuggart :biglaugh: ...............

However I had no stripes, it wasn't on WiFi and I hadn't got through to the mother-ship :grin:

Turns out that has nothing to do with needing MB Subscriptions or the Dealerships Passwords, (as I at first thought), it just means certain functions on the SDS are locked so only the top tech at a Dealership can do the task .....................

Anyhow, there is a zipped file I have which can be added and then the SDS is unlocked and you can do the more expert involved stuff !!

I doubt anyone here will need this, and I can't remember the exact procedure, but if someone does come across it I can find out more ...............

I'll give @i860 a shout, he may well know more about this SDS un locking file than I do !!

HTH,

Cheers for now, Dave

Registered 2002 SLK320
Discussion Starter #8
Hi @i860 ,

................ Incoming .................

Pun coming up .............

You're a Star >:D

BTW, please feel free to correct me on stuff if I got it wrong, (same goes for anyone else), I do use my SDS at least twice a week and have done for a few years, but I am no expert, just passing on stuff I have learned, how I understand it today !!

Cheers Dave

Premium Member 2004 SLK350
Even if you don't own the hardware ( c3/c4 or pass-thru ) you can have the software installed and play in Simulation mode. This will give you an idea on what can be wrong with your car based on a code read by a cheap odb tool.
This is a little video on DAS

Registered 2002 SLK320
Discussion Starter #10
Hi @i860 ,

Excellent Video, nice one :smile:

Which S/W Version is that ?

Myself and others have found that Sim doesn't work without Mux and leads connected, it certainly doesn't on my old C3 Based 2014 ...............

I'm assuming that later versions were at some point made to allow this, or did you customise yours ?

Cheers Dave

Premium Member 2004 SLK350
Hi
This is 09-2019 ( i know is September edition you can see at 0.43 in the video) the latest xentry/das.
As you can see from the icons the mux is not connected, I use simulation a lot to learn and play in xentry /das.

Registered 2002 SLK320
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,

I did type out a big reply with pix, but it's got lost in electronic nirvana ........

Basically .......

I checked my "Old" original SDS which is 09/2014 and yep you are correct SIM does work without anything else connected, albeit limited to what you can actually simulate, I've only used it 3 times since I've had it and 2 of those were in this thread within the last week lol

So apologies for my wrong statement :wink: , thankfully I do not profess to know everything and as I'm often saying, I learn something new every day :grin:

In my defence some guy on Benzworld told me that years ago when I first got it, so I just plugged everything in to try it, bet he was having a right laugh lol

:biglaugh:

Cheers Dave

Registered 2001 SLK320
Well I have to tell everyone that I finally received my complete SDS system. It came in an amazing box that I seemed to unpack for ever. I have to SINCERELY THANK "@Dave2302" for this extremely informative thread. While I am a competent mechanic with 45+ years as a professional I have to say this SLK of mine AND this software I find really intimidating. But Dave truly helped me with this thread in particular to even figure out how to fire up the computer that I received and take the simulator for a test drive. I followed these instructions step by step and was blown away by the information that is available in this system. Plus it worked totally as advertised by Dave here. Thanks Dave!!

But then I had to get brave and finally connect the system to the car. Again it was a lot easier then I expected. I have used OBDII on US and Japanese cars for years but we never worked on Mercedes and the German's certainly have their own way of doing things. So this was all new to me. But I have to say using the "training" Dave provided here and the prompts from the software I was able to do a "scan" on the car.

I want to share with all the "noobs" like me some of the fabulous information and advice that Dave, "Dave 2302" shared with me. I want to pass on HIS information to you all. I did a scan and discussed it with Dave and here are some of his thoughts:

The first thing he notice about my scan was the battery voltage was 11.85v and here is his advice.

MB's will quickly drain the Battery when using SDS with just Ignition On, get in the habit of ALWAYS connecting a Battery Maintainer Charger EVERY time before you plug in SDS ...........
Because if you were Version Coding or Programming a Module, and when that Battery Voltage gets a little lower it can and does "Brick" (wreck) the Module (eek).
OK, no harm done, now lets look at the screen shot again, you have actually done a "Quick Test" which as you rightly say has identified every Module on the Car, but more than that, it has also Read all fault codes and also the "Event Log", for all these Modules listed, :)

OK, so what would you do next ...............

Firstly look at the bottom of the Screen, see the icons with F1, F3, F4, F9 and F11 ..............

These are the ones you will use most often, you can either Click On the Icon, or press the Keyboards F1 etc etc and the same thing will happen, the symbols also give you a clue ................

F1 this is to go back to previous Screen, (Up Arrow is the clue) this for now is your "Get Out Of Jail Free Card" if you accidentally click something and end up somewhere you are not comfortable, hit that and it takes you back a Screen, hit again and back another Screen etc etc etc, you can actually go all the way back to your Vehicle Selection Screens etc :)

F3 is like an OK button, (Green Tick or check mark is a clue), see how the Top Line ETC (Electronic Transmission Controller, also called TCU on Forums) is Highlighted Blue, if you were to hit the Tick you are OK'ing the Blue Highlighted item, so it will take you into that Module :) Talking of these Highlights, if you put your Cursor onto a Module next down or 3 down etc etc and SINGLE Click that one will become highlighted, IIRC you can maybe move the Blue Highlight with the Keyboard Arrow Up / Down Keys as well, once Highlighted click F3 and you will go into the Blue Highlighted Module :)

OR ............ Just place your Cursor over whichever Module you want to look at and DOUBLE Click and wham !! You are now in that Module to poke around :D

F4 IIRC (don't often use it), takes you into the "Event Log" of the module you are in, gives you more info ;)

F9 is the Clear Codes button, (hence the Pencil Eraser clue) ;) In this Screen I never use it, I think but not certain, if you use it in this Screen you will Erase every Code in Every Module Listed, but not sure, never used it, you don't really want to do that, need to deal with each Module separately, (more of that in a minute) !!

F11 is obviously your Print, for this you need to add (safest) a USB Hard Wired Printer, and maybe add it's Specific Printer Drivers via Disc or a USB Stick if they are not already in the Windows Drivers ;) Keep your computer off the internet!

So now lets go to the Right Side of your Screen Pic...........

(Now again this is advice for my specific car here but Dave is explaining what you will see)

You will notice some modules have a "Tick" or check mark............. That means there is no Codes, Old or Current.

Some have a Capital Letter F This is telling you that there is a Current Fault, (so looks like we gotta fix your Car), PSE and ATA have F I'm betting it will be the same Fault, transmitted between one to the other via the CAN Bus ;)

Some have a Lower Case Letter f This is telling you there is an Old, or maybe Intermittent (but not present at time of Test) fault, worth noting them or Printing, then use your Eraser to clear 'em and see what comes back after some driving time ;)

Now look at your Airbag (AB) it has a " ! " Exclamation Mark, which is telling you that something is recorded in the Event Log of that Module IIRC F4 will take you into the "Event Log" of whatever Module you are looking in ..............
Take a look, write it down or Photo or Print etc then Erase and see if it comes back ;)

Note that when I refer to something "Coming Back" it can often need the Car Driving for a while in daily use, or perhaps a couple of long Journeys, this is what is called Drive Cycles, any thing that comes straight back is normally a definite Fault ;)

Don't get playing with Version Coding yet we'll do that next, Avoid Developer like the plague and you will be fine, also best not to mess with anything to do with Keys and "Drive Authorization" (Immobiliser) yet ...............
Everything else is OK, you can even Run the Engine now and look in "Actual Values" of ME, ETC etc which in plain Jayne language is Live Data ;)

I hope all the "noobs" like me find this information provided by Dave, "Dave2302" useful. I know there is a lot of information provided by the SDS and we have to learn how to use the system so we can fix our cars. Dave's dedication to this forum is around in a lot of different posts here. I have seen his name and posts and the advice I have personally found very useful. I will be posting back here more on my travels through the systems in my car and what I found and how I used the SDS to correct it!! Again thank you Dave for your help to all of us.

Regards,
Lisa

Registered 1997 SLK230
Couldn't agree more with the comments in the above post.

Something I found useful when I built my SDS system was to install CutePDF for windows XP so I can print results to PDF files and save them on the hard drive or to USB stick for transfer to another PC for printing.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Registered 2002 SLK320
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thank you Lisa, @Mslisaj ,

For taking the time to do this for the Forum, as you know I'm knee deep in all sorts of project work right now lol

Lisa also deserves a helluva lot of credit for this, because without her I wouldn't really have had a clue how to write some of it from the often daunting prospect of being a noobie to SDS ...........
I've now been using it for many years, but even so, I usually learn something new about it each time I do more involved stuff than regular Code Reads with it ;)

Hopefully myself & / or Lisa can carry on updating this as we move on to Guided Testing, Version Codings and other stuff, I think it will be a really good resource, and personally never found anything like it on the internet, (especially in English language), when I first started with SDS waaaaay back ;)

Also from me, definitely worth a thank you to @borris1954 ..............
I had never thought of adding Cute pdf for Win XP on my older (2014) machine, and have never managed to get that one to print :rolleyes:

My 3 Windows 7 Machines were a doddle to get to print via my PRIVATE (no internet) workshop Wi-Fi Network, and also as a few of you will know, the later stuff, (usually 64 bit Win7) is "Internet Friendly" :)

I currently own 4 Machines which all get used, some are better at certain things than others on the myriad of various vintage and models of MB Vehicles that I see in my Workshop ..............

2014 C3 muxed XP with HHT on Dell D630 ..............

2016 C4 muxed Win7 32bit with HHT on Panasonic Touchscreen

A customized fully unlocked 2017 C4 muxed Win7 64bit No HHT, on Dell D830 (this was my first machine able to do SCN Coding on later Cars)

2019 C4 Muxed Win 7 64bit No HHT, on Panasonic Touchscreen, (again suitable for SCN Work on the later Cars)

HTH,

Registered 1997 SLK230 Kompressor
Now the proud owner of a C3/Dell 630 system with extremely high quality cables includes the very necessary 38 pin for my 1997 SLK. Bought it from a private individual on eBay and it came in a very heavy box with custom foam cutout for the Dell. Add to the fact the Mux was made in France leads me to believe it's maybe not a Chinese version.
I've checked the STAR utilities/Startkeycentre. Xentry diagnostics expires 2032 as does Xentry DAS. These don't concern me since I've been driving for around 60 years. WIS expiry at 2022 might. Is this just a matter of putting back the date on the BIOS?

I've had a look at simulation which doesn't do very much apart from list the possible modules. Seems to be because the system was designed around HHT- WIN which ran to 1999 I'm told and DAS was used from 2001 to 2009 and XENTRY from 2010. I'm running a 2013 version of the software and it has to be backwards compatible but only up to a point of course.
I'll plug it into the car tomorrow and see how it goes.

By the way, I dropped into this by accident more or less because of course it's under the r171 forum. Should there maybe be a link on the r170?

Registered 2002 SLK320
Discussion Starter #18
WIS expiry at 2022 might. Is this just a matter of putting back the date on the BIOS?
Just the date in the Windows Settings, but you don't even need to do that, just get someone like @i860 to do Team Viewer and re do the Keygen and your good for another xx years ;)
Get it done before it expires, some folk lore says that it can't be done after, I've never tested that folklore ;)

2013 s/w and C3 Mux will do everything you need to and more on Cars like R170 which need HHT.
It will also do most other MB Cars up to circa 2012, (model dependant), for 2013 Cars you would need C4 Mux ;)

Yes you got the better Quality MUX and leads which is a good thing, but I am pretty certain despite what the sticker says they are all made in Chinesia, if you have a Genuine "Actia" then you had a right royal result at the price 馃槇

HTH,

Registered 2001 SLK320
Just the date in the Windows Settings, but you don't even need to do that, just get someone like @i860 to do Team Viewer and re do the Keygen and your good for another xx years ;)
Get it done before it expires, some folk lore says that it can't be done after, I've never tested that folklore ;)

2013 s/w and C3 Mux will do everything you need to and more on Cars like R170 which need HHT.
It will also do most other MB Cars up to circa 2012, (model dependant), for 2013 Cars you would need C4 Mux ;)

Yes you got the better Quality MUX and leads which is a good thing, but I am pretty certain despite what the sticker says they are all made in Chinesia, if you have a Genuine "Actia" then you had a right royal result at the price 馃槇

HTH,
So do you check the date and see if you need to have it changed in "KeyGen"? Don't want to test the "folklore" about it locking me out if I don't get it done.
Thanks for your help.

Lisa

Premium Member 2005 SLK200 Komp 'Silkie Growler'
Hi @Bartiny @M4rCu5 (and anyone else purchasing)

OK, so your new package arrives, (hopefully today for at least 2 members 馃榿 ) ..............
Once you've un packed it all, and made sure it's all there, what next ?

Plug Lappy into charger, the Battery likely needs it.

Get a Coffee and popcorn: ............

Read on, be patient before booting it up, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it >:D >:D >:D ...................

SDS can be a steep learning curve for some guys, a lot of which can be because the translations from German to English are, well, to put it mildly they are, ahem, [email protected]@rdised, ahem, because the student or whoever it was who translated it all did not have a clue what was what on a motor car !!

One has to remember that a lot of main dealer software is a bit clunky and old fashioned, you will use a lot of your keyboards F1 F2 F3 etc, or you can click on the F1 etc Icons at the bottom of the Screen, sometimes, a single or double click, on a listing, for example ME 2.8 after doing a "Quick Test" will take you into that ECU !!

"Quick Test", now that's a fine example of bad translation and means an "all modules scan" ................ On a fully loaded S Class quick is the last thing it is ................ Go make a Coffee 馃榿

I did a brief guide, took some (poor) Screen Photo's this morning to help you guys.

Here goes:-

Do this in your lounge, well away from the Car.

Mux and Leads may or may not need to be plugged in to lappy to have a little play with SIMULATOR, which is a good place to start, lot's including myself have found this un necessary 馃槈 .....

Plug in Your Mux to Laptop, and Diag Lead to Mux, as above, then boot it up, and once the HDD light has stopped flashing simply double click on "DAS Sim" Icon which should take you here ....

Select what you are working on (Cars) ....

Now Select what particular Car , which takes a few steps ....

LHD or RHD ....

Exact Model ....

Now we're ready we can either do a "Quick Test" to scan the whole Car, or just access a single system if we know where we want to go ....

Ignore the last 2 options here you'll not use these they are for MB Reception / Office use etc and need Online Subscription.

When the Quick Test is done you will see a list of all Modules that are present (without going too into depth this is worth a good look, if any are missing it is indicating a problem) .....

Now, click and highlight ME 2.x and either double click it, hit F3 on the Keyboard, or click on the F3 Green Tick Icon, this will ask you to confirm you have read the Health and Safety Blurb, select yes

Now it takes you into the ME ECU and lists all the options you can play with ....

When you are new to this I suggest you stay the heck away from "Developer" and "Initial Start Up" !!

"Actuations" (switches stuff on and off for testing), "Actual Values" (= Live Data) and "Control Unit Adaptations" (= Version Codings etc) can be used initially with care, you can always back out using F1 if you think you might be about to FUBAR 馃槈

Make a note if playing with Version Codings, then if you don't get the result you expected, you can re set it to where it was !! Screen Shots are useful in your early days ;)
Everything can usually be un done but Developer can be a bit naughty if you actuate something when you shouldn't :surprise:

Click on Fault Codes and next you will see any Codes and descriptions, (I'm not sure in Simulator) but when connected to the Car, if you double click a fault code it takes you through steps to check / diagnose in likely order. You will notice in this Simulation there is millions of fault codes, well no surprise there, there really isn't a Car connected lol ....

To Erase Codes, look for a Pencil Eraser >:D hit that and it will ask you to cycle ignition, in SIM there is a button (red arrow) but on Car obviously you need to cycle the Ignition Key following the on screen prompts, (don't just click off and straight back on), wait until SDS says "switch Ign on" !!

This is as far as I went today, plenty for you to take in 馃槈

Also the SIM I did was on my "Old" C3 Based Machine, on which, in SIM mode I have never got the "Ignition On / Off" box to work, I have heard others say the same !!

There is I hope plenty for you to take in right now, but I hope this will help you guys get started 馃槃

Apologies if I've told anything that is obvious, Grannies and Eggs springs to mind ;) , but I tried to imagine this thread as if someone has absolutely no knowledge at all of diagnosticamabobs :biglaugh:

HTH, Cheers Dave
@Dave2302 You are so good to us :oops:(y)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts