Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the SLK is a hard top and goes up/down so easy, no reason to let a "little" wet stop us. So what do you all do, keep a towel in the trunk with a bag to stow it when wet? Just a towel or some instant detailer spray for the just enough rain to make the dust into tiny mud puddles instead of washing the dust off like a decent rain would.

I don't want to scratch the paint, but we have horrible hard water (high Calcium), so rinsing with the hose means doing all the windows as well as proper drying for the whole car. I am hoping to do a quick wipe of the hood/windshield/top and be on my way with the roof down.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,745 Posts

·
92,745 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Since the SLK is a hard top and goes up/down so easy, no reason to let a "little" wet stop us. So what do you all do, keep a towel in the trunk with a bag to stow it when wet? Just a towel or some instant detailer spray for the just enough rain to make the dust into tiny mud puddles instead of washing the dust off like a decent rain would.

I don't want to scratch the paint, but we have horrible hard water (high Calcium), so rinsing with the hose means doing all the windows as well as proper drying for the whole car. I am hoping to do a quick wipe of the hood/windshield/top and be on my way with the roof down.
Yes you will risk scratching the paint. We have hard water here too. I am like you, I dont like a dirty car. But I wash it or just leave it if I haven't got the time or the energy.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe a leaf blower is a better option than a towel? I'm already planning on adding one for generic washing of the cars.

·
92,745 Posts

·
6007.us
2,608 Posts
If you leave the top down, cover the console with something if likely to rain. I left my top down and we had some "liquid sunshine" - the car would not shift properly & had CANBUS errors until the console had completely dried out (automagic shifter is connected to a module under the console. Anyone know a way to waterproof the console ?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you leave the top down, cover the console with something if likely to rain. I left my top down and we had some "liquid sunshine" - the car would not shift properly & had CANBUS errors until the console had completely dried out (automagic shifter is connected to a module under the console. Anyone know a way to waterproof the console ?
Put the top up? Nothing on the inside of the car really should get wet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’m not surprised that so many people are puzzled by this complex conundrum, my solution is simple

I have a 12 volt pressure washer in the boot and a 50 litre drum of deionised water, if an unexpected flurry of dust descends, it’s a simple matter to pull over and jet wash the vehicle with no hard water spot misery as a consequence

My fuel consumption has collapsed as a result, the tail drifts out violently like a 60s 911 with the weight of the onboard water supply and I have zero luggage capacity, but hey, she shines like a crazy diamond

HTH

·
Banned
974 Posts

When out & about never ever leave the top down. For the sake of a second closing the roof means no bird poo, no envious yob spitting or throwing rubbish into the cabin, nobody leaning in & nicking stuff but most important should the car be damaged or stolen you may not be insured.
Got a sneaky suspicion some leave a convertible roof down when parked in public places as a bit of a pose which might be costly and/or inconvenient. Only last week on a very hot day in the car park of a very posh hotel & spa I noted a well-to-do lady park her nice new lovely blue Mercedes convertible but failed to close the roof. Off she rushed to join her chums failing to realise she had parked under some trees which accommodated a very heavily occupied birds nest located right about her lovely cream leather exposed interior. An hour later as I walked past her car many birds had toileted all over the seats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts