Mercedes SLK World banner

181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
AND MABEL
13,814 Posts
Managed to edit and upload my GoPro footage. :smile:

I love this track, and really enjoyed my time on it. Although it ended far to soon, I still managed 7 full laps, plus the out and in laps. Despite being in the wrong gear coming out of most of the corners, and all the overtaking, I still managed to better my lap times from last year. My best being 1.47.36, I also did 2 more within 1/2 sec of that. Consistency being the name of the game for me. :smile:

Here you go …..

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Thanks Davie for taking the pictures, never had one of Me sitting in My SLK with the roof up...!!

Great photos Davie,
One thing I did notice, some of the head restraints are a bit low, the middle needs to be level with your eyes. :nerd:
Funny enough I spotted that My head restraint was low in Davies pictures - I must have pushed it down while giving the interior a good clean the other weekend.... :|

·
Super Moderator
24,259 Posts
Thanks to all for taking pics and posting footage.

It was an interesting day out and a great place to learn what the car does with least risk.
Having watched some of the other groups out there, I felt proud that our group was so good.
Fast? Yes. But it was rare that anyone did not spot a faster car instantly.
Even those that were not instant were pretty good.

Dez, you should be proud for organising this one.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi all. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back online.
What a thoroughly enjoyable day me and my son had. The track was a special time, being that we won't be able to do it again with the sale.
And the wet grip section was a eye opener, especially for my son who had never experienced any kind of heavy breaking or sliding before. Such fun.

Thank you Dez for arranging this and also meeting so many new faces. Look forward to catching up with some of you again in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #186 (Edited)
Hi all,
Sorry it's taken me so long to post something, as others have said, I think we had a superb day overall and I hope you guys also learnt a little something about pushing your car a bit further than you normally would on the road and how it reacts when you do lose control.

I've been looking into what to do for next year and will keep you guys up to date as things progress. I'm currently talking to a chap from IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) who organises events for car clubs etc similar to what we did at Rockingham (they've used Mallory Park and Thruxton before), one advantage is that we might be able to get a certificate from IAM that might knock a couple if quid off your insurance! Nothing confirmed yet though.

There's also a stunt driving school over near York, but unfortunately they don't let you use your own cars >:D

I think the wet grip at Rockingham helps you to learn that we as drivers are responsible for the actions of our vehicles, however, it's the other idiots on the road we have to be aware of.

The day after Rockingham, one of those k***heads decided not to look where he/she was going and smack into the back of my SLK on a roundabout on the way home from work. By the time i'd collected myself and moved over so I wasn't blocking the roundabout, they had f*cked off. No one stopped, no one reported any details to the police, so I literally have no details other than it might have been a small silver car.

The idiot hit the rear drivers side corner, pushing it an inch or so forward. As you guys know, the mechanism for the roof is contained in that corner, so as well as the side of my car crumpling up, the boot won't close and neither will the roof.

So, that's the end of my SLK as you guys know as well as I do the insurance will just write it off.

Don't worry though, i've already bought another one a year younger with less rust and less miles :grin:

Over the next few weeks i'll transfer across my adjustable suspension, PerformanceFlow exhaust, Smarttop, filters and stuff. Not sure about the pink stripe though, think I might go for a dark grey one this time.

On the bright side, as this one has much less rust I don't need to get it all fixed and resprayed, so technically I've saved myself some money :grin:

Anyway, final message here is, extra training will always help, but watch out for the other coconuts on the road as some of them probably shouldn't have passed their tests, let alone have completed any advanced training.

And get a rear dashcam for those that decide to do a runner.

And if you get a dashcam, make sure you fit it to the car, i've had one in my living room for about 6 months and hadn't got round to fitting it :crying:

Dez >:D

P.S. if anyone needs any SLK 230 (2003 refit) bits give me a shout, I have some spare :biglaugh:

·
Super Moderator
24,259 Posts
One thing I gotta say, Dez.

I was impressed how quickly you cracked on with getting the replacement.
Some will not go back to the same model after an accident.
They miss the point on how tough these cars are at saving us.

Quick! Change the vehicle year before the big guy spots it :D

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Sorry @devilman9050 to here about Your old R170..... :frown:

Dash cams are useful when events like this happen & also worth reading out the number plate/car model aloud to the dash cam if someone is playing silly bu##ers behind You....

My other top tips in an accident is not to move Your car, regardless of traffic building up and start taking pictures of the cars, driver(s) before the cars are moved... And if the Police turn up, all the better if it's not Your fault..!!

...anyway, glad You already have a replacement R170 to transfer the bits onto :tu:

PS: Thruxton sounds great, just down the road from Me....!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
@devilman9050 sorry to hear about your accident Dez. Hard to believe that nobody thought to offer you assistance at the scene. Doesn't seem to have dented your enthusiasm though :grin:
The IAM certification sounds interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed the skid training at Rockingham, so if it develops into an event please keep us posted.

·
Long Time Member
3,639 Posts
@devilman9050

I said to you the week before that tube of exhaust paste should last a long time.........not 7 bloody days

My bad I got you ready for the track and not the f*** tards on the roads.....bet they where looking at the stickers we put on :wink:

Anyways as you know your new toy is welcome back on my ramp anytime mate :smile::smile: if you wish to have a look under it.

Cheers pete

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
I have been thinking of a rear dash cam...but where would you fit it?

Wind deflector would vibrate too much!
Maybe route through the bootlid and either above or below the number plate maybe?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
I have been thinking of a rear dash cam...but where would you fit it?

Wind deflector would vibrate too much!
I might try it on the wind deflector near the roll bar, most stable place. I will look at some thin foam to stabilise the vibration..... let the search begin... :grin:

·
Super Moderator
24,259 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
Dez, sorry to hear about what happened to you and the car! Most importantly you were not injured and I'm glad to hear you've already got a new car in better nick, etc, silver lining as you say!

Now I'm back from the 'Odyssey' I wanted to get through some more of my footage from Rockingham before concentrating on the footage from Scotland of which there's lots! Links below are video shot at the wet grip session and also footage from my rear camera during the track time. The hot laps start at 7:30, enjoy!

https://youtu.be/bMPNaokpK5A

https://youtu.be/2wA0I_kML6o

181 - 200 of 200 Posts