Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to rebuild the hydraulic top cylinders on a 99 SLK. I rebuilt the roof top hydraulic cylinder and had no problems before moving the top up and down manually. After the repair I tried to operate the top normally, but I learned three other hydraulic cylinders were leaking. So now I'm trying to access the main hydraulic cylinders behind the seats and the top needs to be in the down position to access these hydraulic cylinders.

At this point, I have manually unlocked the top roof lock, the truck lid is tilted to the back position, rear vent windows are in the down position, the hydraulic pump pressure valve is open, but I can't lift up the top to open it - it's stuck in the closed position. When I'm trying to open the top manually, I can see it separating from the windshield frame, but it won't move any further. Are there any other locks or pins that need to be released to open the top manually? Thanks!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,147 Posts
There are two hinges, left and right, between the roof and the rear window. You can see these just above your shoulder. These hinges each have a safety mechanism (like a pocket knife) that prevents these hinges from folding until the safety is released. This is obviously what you're facing - you haven't released these safeties yet.

These safeties are cable driven from the front actuator. So even though you've turned the front latch (through the hole) to the point of unlatching the roof from the windshield, you haven't turned it far enough to tug on the cables. So put your allen wrench back in and twist it just a little bit harder. Watch the hinge area when you do this and you'll see it moving. Don't be afraid to put some torque on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyone's help! I looked at the top again and indeed the left side hinge lock by the back window was not releasing. Since the headliner had been removed, I was able to just pull the release cable for that hinge lock by hand. Also, the right windshield frame lock was not completely opening to release it from the windshield frame. A few taps with a screwdriver and hammer got it to the full "open" position. And... it seemed the top was stuck to the rubber seal on the windshield frame. I hadn't opened the top in about three months, so with the changing temperatures, the top was stuck on the rubber seal... I'm a bit concerned, though, with why manually turning the top release crank would not fully open the release hinge lock and the windshield frame lock. Hopefully, the locks will fully open when using the hydraulic cylinders... Anyways, I can now manually open and close the top again. Now I can access the main hydraulic cylinders... The repair continues... Thanks!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,468 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.