Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit confused after reading a thread on another forum. I apparently need a whole new exhaust as the baffles are shot in the cat or something. Mine has the factory AMG but 230 engine so can I get just the cat/s or is it really the whole thing.If so where from ? They seem to be very expensive:(

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi single:
I have a US model - 1999 SLK 230 with the Sport Package {AMG Trim Package}. As far as I know, there were no exhaust system changes in the Sport Package. So my car has just the stock SLK230 exhaust system.

I don't know if you can use after-market replacement Cat,'s or not. I would think that any Muffler Shop could be able to tell you, if you take the car to them.

I have pictures of my car here:
http://becksystems.com/SLK230/SLK230a.htm

FWIW,
Carl B.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My tail looks like this if it helps?

slk exhaust 004.jpg

I have also just found the list of extras codes it came with but no idea what means what?

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Hi Single
I too have cat converter issues and have asked the local exhaust shop to have a look and recommendetc.
They recommended oem because of possible engine tune issues and not being sure of the cell count in the oem cats, are they 300 or 400 cels per inch They were talking about gas flow and back pressure as well.
I have searched as well as asked on this forum for any knowledge about after market cats and related issues but have yet to receive an answer sot i am assuming the knowledge base for this issue may be small.

Extensive searching on the internet has failed to enlighten the subject.

Most of the cars here in Australia that receive aftermarket cats go for the high flow type with out any issues, but they are of the single cat per pipe type of systems where you need to change either one or both they are not of the MB dual side by side type. Can I replace them with one "high flow" or do i need to replace them with two "high flow" cats.
:Beer:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Could be wrong but....I don't think AMG did a 230 did they? Thought they went straight to 320 engine? I suspect the car is just like mine... A 230 with the AMG rims and body kit.

My exhaust is a single oval, I think the tips are somewhat interchangeable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.