Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sold a PSE Model 1708000848 unit as a direct replacement for the original 1708000348 unit which was defective (wet). After installing the new unit, everything functions properly (door lock button & remote, trunk light, interior light, and rear defogger) with one exception.

When turning the ignition key on, there is a short blast from the alarm horn. (only issue)

I have tried unplugging the battery with no change. I also set off the alarm with no change. (I did note that the alarm is a solid stream of the alarm horn blowing continuously instead of a series of short blast that the previous unit provided.)

Can anyone please suggest how to stop the short blast when starting the vehicle?:confused:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,122 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK 55 AMG
11,306 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
11,254 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us! :)

I can't answer your question about the short horn blast after changing your PSE, but let's hope someone will be along shortly to offer some advice...

·
94,122 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,404 Posts
Welcome from Wirral, England.

You say the old pse was wet, how wet?

Could water/moisture have got sucked into the system?

Might be worth taking the hoses off and giving them a hair dryer blow.
Cheap to do (free) and relatively simple IF the hoses will come off.

If necessary, replacement hose can be bought from aquatic centres for pretty much peanuts.

And thanks for updating vehicle/info data.

Makes future calls for help easier.

·
94,122 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome from Wirral, England.

You say the old pse was wet, how wet?

Could water/moisture have got sucked into the system?

Might be worth taking the hoses off and giving them a hair dryer blow.
Cheap to do (free) and relatively simple IF the hoses will come off.

If necessary, replacement hose can be bought from aquatic centres for pretty much peanuts.

And thanks for updating vehicle/info data.

Makes future calls for help easier.

Thanks. The foam was dry with no indication of any previous moisture. The old unit had corrosion around the white connector with no current wetness on the outer surface. Upon opening the old unit, the PC board was damp with corrosion in the area of the white connector. I cleaned the connector and the PC board with alcohol and dried both with a hair dryer. Reconnected the old unit and it was still dead. Ordered a replacement.

·
Super Moderator
14,077 Posts
Hi and welcome from Lakeland, FL!

Living in Florida and joining the forum has special perks! We have a very active and fun Mercedes Benz SLK Forum - FLORIDA SLK and you’ll definitely want to join us.

Our last meet http://www.slkworld.com/u-s-florida/339161-florida-spring-meet-lakeridge-winery-picture-thread-april-9th.html

You can view all our meets at U.S. Florida - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

We are planning the Fourth Annual Florida SLK Group October 29, 2016 in Lakeland, and we’d like you to join us!

http://www.slkworld.com/u-s-florida/362498-florida-oktoberfest-picnic-october-29-2016-a.html

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/SlkWorld?re...homepage_panel

Thanks for joining the forum and we look forward to meeting you!

Marykay
Florida Event Coordinator

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,404 Posts
Thanks. The foam was dry with no indication of any previous moisture. The old unit had corrosion around the white connector with no current wetness on the outer surface. Upon opening the old unit, the PC board was damp with corrosion in the area of the white connector. I cleaned the connector and the PC board with alcohol and dried both with a hair dryer. Reconnected the old unit and it was still dead. Ordered a replacement.
Ok, I doubt the water in the vac line theory then.

My sponge couldn't have got wetter if I dunked it in a bucket.

The pse poured water out when I removed it.
Much worse than yours but the lines were ok.

I presume from the above that you removed all the oxide from the connector?

Still worth checking the vac lines for kinks or splits. Either would reduce efficiency.

Also, check the battery age/condition.
Although I suspect it isn't the issue, the SLK needs a great battery
otherwise it has quirky electrical issues.

For age:

For explanation:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was sold a PSE Model 1708000848 unit as a direct replacement for the original 1708000348 unit which was defective (wet). After installing the new unit, everything functions properly (door lock button & remote, trunk light, interior light, and rear defogger) with one exception.

When turning the ignition key on, there is a short blast from the alarm horn. (only issue)

I have tried unplugging the battery with no change. I also set off the alarm with no change. (I did note that the alarm is a solid stream of the alarm horn blowing continuously instead of a series of short blast that the previous unit provided.)

Can anyone please suggest how to stop the short blast when starting the vehicle?:confused:

Itook my 98 SLK230 to my MB/BMW repair shop to have the PSE coded so that thealarm does not go off when the vehicle is started and the alarm to sound inshort blasts instead of one long blast. TheCAN (local area network for various modules to communicate) was unable to communicatewith the PSE, making it impossible to code. The problem with the CAN was determined to be the CCM module. After replacing the CCM module, the PSE wascoded and everything functions as normal. The problem isolation, PSE coding, and CCM replacement costapproximately $1700.00 US.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Are you sure the short beep is not the seatbelt warning beep? - whoops sorry, I missed that you had a solution, good to hear, sorry it cost so much.
Welcome from Australia

1 - 18 of 18 Posts