Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done installing my 9” touch screen. I’m pretty happy with it so far, I’ll do a full review in a week or two that way I can really take some time and use it on a regular basis. The unit cost $600 after shipping to the USA. Here are some pics:

Start up screen (this can be changed to the AMG logo as well)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,423 Posts
Could you give us some more particulars? Where did you purchase it from? Does it work completely integrated with existing cars electronics?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you give us some more particulars? Where did you purchase it from? Does it work completely integrated with existing cars electronics?

I purchased from a seller in China, shipping took 5 days to Florida. It does work with the existing electronics, in fact; you can actually use the COMAND wheel (next to the gear shifter) to control it if you don’t want to touch the screen. You also have full access to the old COMAND by choosing this:

That brings you back to the old display... only bigger lol

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,423 Posts
How difficult was the install? What additional features do you get? It looks very interesting. Can you do a follow up in about a month about your experiences? This has me tempted to pick up my credit card right now, I am resisting the impulse though! LOL>:D

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How difficult was the install? What additional features do you get? It looks very interesting. Can you do a follow up in about a month about your experiences? This has me tempted to pick up my credit card right now, I am resisting the impulse though! LOL>:DCan you do a follow up in about a month about your experiences? This has me tempted to pick up my credit card right now, I am resisting the impulse though! LOL>:D

Basically, it’s an android tablet that allows you to replaces your screen. So you still have access to everything that you could access before with your old screen but now you have all the luxuries of a tablet as well. The installation took about 30-60 mins, you just have remove your old screen and stereo, unplug the clip in the back of your stereo, plug a new harness in, and then plug the old one into the new one. I will do a full review after I’ve had it for a while.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This looks cool.

Since it uses an android tablet. Do you think there's a possibility of getting just the software and supplying your own tablet?

I get that you can probably just cast your screen to this tablet anyway, allowing the use of music apps, Waze, torque pro etc. But what happens when the tablet fails...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This looks cool.

Since it uses an android tablet. Do you think there's a possibility of getting just the software and supplying your own tablet?

I get that you can probably just cast your screen to this tablet anyway, allowing the use of music apps, Waze, torque pro etc. But what happens when the tablet fails...

If the tablet fails or something went wrong, I would just reinstall my OEM screen. As far as doing it yourself, don’t think that’s something that most people could do and get the same results. This actually integrates with the car so it has a working speedometer, rpm gauge, it knows when the trunk or doors open/close, when the lights are on/off, it provides the climate information from your heat/air conditioning, it supports the scroll wheel and buttons near the arm rest, and it allows you to continue to use the OEM interface without any loss of functionality. All that in addition to running android operating system and giving access to the AppStore. So I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it would be extremely challenging and probably significantly more expensive than $600 to say the least.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive just got mine today and going through the installation. Having difficulty understanding instructions that came with it. Did you need to connect the supplied gps and radio antennas or does it use them from the oem unit? The process of setting aux under setting did that need doing and if so can you remember the steps
Cheers

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ive just got mine today and going through the installation. Having difficulty understanding instructions that came with it. Did you need to connect the supplied gps and radio antennas or does it use them from the oem unit? The process of setting aux under setting did that need doing and if so can you remember the steps

Cheers

I did connect the supplied gps but not radio antenna because the audio from the stereo will go through the aux cords. As far as setting up the aux portion, can you post a pic so I can see what part you’re looking at?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thx for reply. Not to worry about aux i managed to find a clip on youtube.

Im still confused with the multiple connectors and wires of which there is nothing in the supplied instructions. I've connected the main connectors, rearview camera, device gps .
There were 2 connection on back on oem screen, 1 is for the picture (connected) the other remains unconnected

Am i missing anything.

My fm/cd screen only shows the time. No display or sound......

Have you found out there anything that the device cannot do that could be done previously by the oem eg voice commands; access music register does the drivers dash/instrument screen show blanks for audio and navigation

Other than above the unit appears to be well made and setup.
Thx again for any help

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thx for reply. Not to worry about aux i managed to find a clip on youtube.

Im still confused with the multiple connectors and wires of which there is nothing in the supplied instructions. I've connected the main connectors, rearview camera, device gps .

There were 2 connection on back on oem screen, 1 is for the picture (connected) the other remains unconnected

Am i missing anything.

My fm/cd screen only shows the time. No display or sound......

Have you found out there anything that the device cannot do that could be done previously by the oem eg voice commands; access music register does the drivers dash/instrument screen show blanks for audio and navigation

Other than above the unit appears to be well made and setup.

Thx again for any help

I only connected one plug from the OEM screen, so there was one remaining. If you’re not able to see your OEM stereo, go to the “secret menu”, tap the screen 3 times and change the number. I had to change mine to #9 , after I did that everything OEM worked and I had full access to all previous functionality.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Certainly looks the part and build quality is good. Took 5 days shipping from China to Aus. Thats quick by most standards
Also I'm getting good response from carlife-mall.net to my installation queries.
Now have to see how it performs. Hopefully not far off now

1 - 20 of 114 Posts