Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Now it's time to fix something in the car interior: my Bose had only four loudspeakers working, with the midbass driver in the door mute.

First of all, I removed the radio and replaced the central fascia with a better one (I must admit it's not Bose-specific, but it's an improvement), repaired the ashtray mechanism (some silicon grease was enough) and replaced some missing screws. Then I checked radio connections: everything was OK, only minor mess had been done by former owners.

So, I removed the door panels (meanwhile fixing something with a bi-component adhesive) to check if the wiring had been altered - if it hadn't been so, I should have checked the amp and the loudspeakers. Wow, no wiring damaged: it was a luck, because I've always thought of wire-checking as a real pain in the neck.

At last, I realized the amp was OK and it was a loudspeaker failure. The key issue is that Bose systems rely on 2 ohms loudspeakers: IMHO the quality of the loudspeakers themselves is too low in comparison with their price. Yet, I wanted to keep the system instead of installing aftermarket items (working at 4 ohms).

I have some cars and a lot of spares: the idea is to replace the midwoofers (to be fair, they are full-range) with the most similar ones - coming from a Bose system - in terms of size. You can see my solution: I'm gonna use a 2 ohm couple of midwoofers coming from a Lancia Lybra Bose system, which has a standard 165 mm size, and an adapter instead of the specific MB item. For sure, you can use a lot of standard 165 mm components coming from Bose instead of it. Gonna post some more pics as soon as I get the adapters (there are a lot of them on sale from Ebay).

The final price for that fix is under USD 30 instead of 300 - which is what I was asked for from a MB dealer; the sound quality is almost equal to the 810 Bose Sound system coming with the car.

Have a nice day,
Guido

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.