Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met up with Phan ("nguyenphananh"), Jung ("razr-01") and Eddy ("etyu") today. I took off from San Diego and took Ortega Highway to get some scenic early morning driving in. My inner-speed-demon was thwarted on Ortega by a pair of plumbers van that would not under any circumstance move out of the way and instead proceeded to drive 20 mph under the speed limit pretty much the entire time. At least it was pretty.

Got to Eddy's place where he was going to install Phan's SmartTOP, and fashion some plugs for the license plate holes in Jung's bumper. Since I got there first, we passed the time by upgrading the Firmware on my SmartTOP.

Turns out Phan jumped the gun and installed his own module last night, but he came out anyways for the company and car chat. After the install-fest completed we went to Peet's for coffee and pastries.

Then we took a longer than expected drive from Irvine to Wildomar, getting absolutely bogged down in a traffic jam where 91 meets 15. The temperature also got up to 111 degrees and we were all driving with the tops down. After the traffic didn't improve once we got on 15, everyone - including the only non-SmartTOPper, Jung - managed to get the tops up so we wouldn't roast.

We took an awesome drive through avocado country between Wildomar and Fallbrook, and the complete lack of other cars on these roads more than made up for my frustrating early morning experience on Ortega. We gave Phan his proper introduction to SoCal SLK meet-n-drives and after chatting for a bit more at the entrance to Fallbrook, we went our separate ways.

Great day, guys. I really enjoyed it tremendously. Hope we can do it again soon! :tu:

Phan's red SLK280:

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,000 Posts
Mini-meets are the best!!!

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Thank you Durk for the taking the time to come from San Diego to OrCo to meet with Jung (razor-01), Phan (NguyenPhanAnh) and myself, and for the photos.

Initially planned as a teaching/supervision for SmartTop install for Phan, and to plug up the 4 hideous holes at Jung's face-lift black SLK55 front bumper, turned out to be:

1. Updating SmartTop firmware for Durk
2. Fabricating and fitting some polystyrene plugs for Jung's ride using plastic sprues
3. Printed paper instructions for Phan on how to enter programming mode for SmartTop by using the steering wheel control buttons
4. Fallbrook Run :tu:

I should've ordered the large cafe laté with 2 extra shots of espresso as I was getting tired in the last twisty 7 miles of the Fallbrook run :biglaugh:

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
596 Posts
It great to meet you guys. You guys really "opened up" my eyes and "properly" broke me in.... I couldn't believe how aggressive Durk and Jung drove... they were back to back at more than 70mph around 30mph turns.... I have lots to learn from you guys. And the worst part: now I have to do more "mods" to keep up.... :(

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
596 Posts
one more thing: your cars are gorgeous.... Eddy's and Durk's car ... somehow you made it looks better, newer than the day it left dealers. Also, many of the mods look wayyyyy better in the real life than in the pictures... especially the fender...

·
Registered
343 Posts
one more thing: your cars are gorgeous.... Eddy's and Durk's car ... somehow you made it looks better, newer than the day it left dealers. Also, many of the mods look wayyyyy better in the real life than in the pictures... especially the fender...
what about my car :(

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
what about my car :(
Your car looks great! Black is hard to keep clean and maintain. I think what Phan meant was that our cars are older but we try to keep it looking clean. Yours is the facelift R171 SLK55 AMG, it's newer and is looking great already.

Post some photos of the front bumper before and after fitting the plugs.
Let us know when you get the SmartTop.
Link to thread on retrofitting the brakes, as an FYI: http://www.slkworld.com/ask-dansslk/3678-brake-part-nos-needed-retrofit-08-07-a-4.html#post196004

·
Registered
343 Posts
haha i know, though black is really hard to maintain clean :) you know, i got home at 12:30AM and i went straight to church afterward

I'm gonna work on the plug tomorrow and will post the picture

thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts