Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 55 if I drive it in Sport mode the gearbox still changes up too soon as if in comfort.
Anyone else experience this.
(I normally drive in manual).
Are there any software updates for an '06 55?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,970 Posts
I'm confused. The gears will still change from 1 to 7 in sport mode and comfort from 2 to 7
so it is normally in sport to get to top gear as soon as it can because you want 'speed', no?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,970 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
3,633 Posts
But really, I think it will change up if you are driving casually, it does not know you want to keep in a lower gear unless you give it some and then it will keep itself in a lower for about 5 seconds or so after you have accelerated or driven briskly. I assume it is programmed to run the engine at a leisurely pace until required to go MAD>:D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I said I normally drive in M mode but sometimes in traffic I put it in S.
If driving slow in S mode does the transmission act like its in C mode?

·
Registered
159 Posts
On my 350 with 7G, 'S' is much like 'C', except it uses 1st gear and holds gears for a little longer on the way down. The changes can be a little more pronounced too. However, if I mash the throttle it red lines in every gear (well, I presume it red lines in 6th and 7th, I've never been that brave!).

Remember that it's a 'learning' gearbox, so your driving style will influence its characteristics.

Reactions: Col and 55russamg

·
Founding Member 2006
108,970 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,761 Posts
Hi All
Im sure I heard that in Sport mode the gear will keep you in the that will give you the best power , So if you drive along leisurely it will go through the gears like being in C mode , But when you hit the carpet with the go button it will react very quickly & drop down not just one gear but more like three gears & hold that gear to the red line .

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
159 Posts
As an aside, a lot of people don't realise that if you hold the 'down' paddle for a second it will automatically put the car in the optimal gear for accelerating, no matter what speed in 'C' or 'S'. I use this for when I'm waiting to make a cheeky overtake but I have to allow a car coming the other direction to go past first.

Reactions: Col and dbgrn

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
As an aside, a lot of people don't realise that if you hold the 'down' paddle for a second it will automatically put the car in the optimal gear for accelerating, no matter what speed in 'C' or 'S'. I use this for when I'm waiting to make a cheeky overtake but I have to allow a car coming the other direction to go past first.
...and when you're done overtaking and just want to cruise in auto again, simply hold the 'up' paddle for a second or so and it'll return to auto mode (assuming you're still in 'C' or 'S'). :D

Reactions: Col and kingronnie

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great info guys,thanks.
Jeff I have done the reset a few times but I don't notice anything much.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,970 Posts
You're doing it wrong then :D
deep breath. make sure car is not in garage or driveway but on level road. do it there
when done....floor it. oh and be in S mode.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
S mode will behave like C mode if you drive casually.
The transmission will hold the gear and upshift later at a higher rpm (2500, 3000 and even 4000 or higher) dependent upon how fast and forceful one depresses the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
61 Posts
S mode will behave like C mode if you drive casually.
The transmission will hold the gear and upshift later at a higher rpm (2500, 3000 and even 4000 or higher) dependent upon how fast and forceful one depresses the accelerator pedal.

This.

Unless you're really on the throttle, the difference between the "S" and "C" settings will seem fairly minimal. Find a road where you can really start to work the accelerator and you'll very quickly start to see the difference in the shift points and overall behavior.

By the way, etyu, that's a gorgeous color combination. Makes me want to find a good upholsterer in the area.

Cheers.

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
146 Posts
From my manual:
Select C for comfort driving:
 The vehicle starts out in second
gear (both forward and reverse) for
gentler starts. This does not apply if
full throttle is applied or gear
range 1 is selected.
 Traction and driving stability are
improved on icy roads.
 Upshifts occur earlier even when
you give more gas. The engine then
operates at lower rpms and the
wheels are less likely to spin.

Select S for standard driving:
 The vehicle starts out in first gear.
 Upshifts occur later.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're doing it wrong then :D
deep breath. make sure car is not in garage or driveway but on level road. do it there
when done....floor it. oh and be in S mode.
Why a level road Jeff?

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Founding Member 2006
108,970 Posts
In my logic, after resetting it, I don't want to drive slowly down my driveway and make a turn before I rip it otherwise, again in my brain, the reset will think I am a granny because I am driving slowly (to get to the bottom of the driveway) and resets itself to granny mode, instead of 'floor it' mode :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In my logic, after resetting it, I don't want to drive slowly down my driveway and make a turn before I rip it otherwise, again in my brain, the reset will think I am a granny because I am driving slowly (to get to the bottom of the driveway) and resets itself to granny mode, instead of 'floor it' mode :D
Gotcha:smile:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I thought the whole adaptive reset was debunked by various bods at Mercedes?

And holding the "down" button doesn't select the best gear for overtaking AFAIK - it just allows you to set the highest gear you want the car to use so it doesn't change up; for example when you want to use engine braking downhill.

Also - I wish it DID have a 'hold gear' button - it's a 5.5 V8 with nearly 400lb-ft. I don't need to change down gears all the time when I want to accelerate a bit. I've seen how massively effective this thing is in all gears at overtaking when I'm in manual, but it'll do it perfectly well in 5th or 6th, I don't need it to slop down to 3rd to do it.
Yes, yes I know, "use manual" is the answer - but for 98% of situations C/S is perfectly fine, it'd just be nice to have.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.