Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
*Registered
2016 SLK250d
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking for an SLK 9g (with airscarf and pano roof) but my understanding is they are only 2015 and 2016. Many ads say 7g even if they are 2016...

I think this may be just people not knowing or model selection lists not catering to show 9g so...

I believe I have had it confirmed that if it has the little silver gear shift, it's 9g and if if has the larger shift with leather gaiter is is a 7g - correct?

Does the dash display what gear you are in (so if I test drive I can visibly see it go into 8 and 9 and know for sure)

Is it just 250D that is 9g and 200 CDI is 7g? - sorry if I screwed up the models.

Basically... which are 9, which are 7 and how do I know!

Thanks in advance - if this is in the wrong forum, mods please move it. I have looked around.

JayHoe

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
4,499 Posts
Correct R172 SLK or SLC's with this shifter have the 9G box:
Gear shift Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Normal driving only shows "C"
Car Speedometer White Light Automotive design

But if You use the paddle shifters, the top centre display will show which gear Your in:

Just be wary that the newer 250d cars have a smaller boot due to the "Add-Blu" tank?

·
*Registered
2016 SLK250d
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct R172 SLK or SLC's with this shifter have the 9G box:
View attachment 613857
Normal driving only shows "C"
View attachment 613858
But if You use the paddle shifters, it will show which gear Your in:

Just be wary that the newer 250d cars have a smaller boot due to the "Add-Blu" tank?
Fab. So easy to tell. I have seen garages advertising as 7g with this shifter shown! Thanks for the paddle tip - so I now will be able to see it.

As for the adblue - I guess that space is a required sacrifice. Do you have to add adblue every tank or is it just sipped?

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
41,448 Posts
Fab. So easy to tell. I have seen garages advertising as 7g with this shifter shown! Thanks for the paddle tip - so I now will be able to see it.

As for the adblue - I guess that space is a required sacrifice. Do you have to add adblue every tank or is it just sipped?
Up front tip. NEVER overfill the adblue. Always leave a little space from the cap.
Overfilling can lead to issues.

·
4,499 Posts
I need all the space I can get for a two week Road Trip...!! :LOL:
Luggage and bags Bag Trunk Automotive design Personal luxury car

But the AdBlu tank does raise the level of the boot floor:
Car White Light Trunk Personal luxury car

And takes away the option to flip the boot floor over, to give more space:
Car Grille Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
41,448 Posts
Just in case you are not aware, you should find the VIN in a small, clear window in the black strip at the bottom of the windscreen, passenger side under the wiper.

Automotive lighting Grille Eye glass accessory Eyewear Bumper

Then go to link I posted in post 2.

·
Founding Member 2006
112,729 Posts
:D but vin not part of windshield but can be soon through the little window of the glass :D

·
*Registered
2015 SLK250d
345 Posts
Hi @jayhoe
9g came out late 2015 with the 2016 model year. Mine is October 2015 and an early 9g. I think 2017 model year is the SLC. Confirming the stubby gear change indicates 9g box, and on my 250d driving modes are E (eco), S (sport) and M (manual). The 250d engine is the same generic OM651 diesel as most Mercs including the older models, but with ad-blue. Power is the same as 250 Cdi but the 9g box increases performance. Ad-blue tank is large, about 20 litres and easily lasts me the full service interval without triggering the add blue low message (18000 miles).

One to look out for, these engines were subject of a recall as part of the emissions scandal, the recall involves updated software that puts more exhaust gas through the EGR valve and uses more add blue. I have not had mine done as I think this is a bad idea and I am not convinced by Mercedes advice that 'if you can prove' the software cased a problem they will fix it for free. Any car serviced by Mercedes after 2019 will have had the 'fix' applied. I have not heard of problems, I am just not convinced.

Oh and the 9g box needs a fluid change at 77500 miles or 5 years whichever is first, if not been done its good negotiation. Quite a big job, lots of fluid, a new sump with filter and it needs configuring on the Mercedes Xentry system I believe, cost £450 to £500 at a Mercedes independent garage, probably more at a dealer.

Happy hunting they are nice cars, fast but with ridiculously good fuel economy (62 mpg on a motorway and urban run yesterday :))

·
*Registered
2016 SLK250d
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi @jayhoe
9g came out late 2015 with the 2016 model year. Mine is October 2015 and an early 9g. I think 2017 model year is the SLC. Confirming the stubby gear change indicates 9g box, and on my 250d driving modes are E (eco), S (sport) and M (manual). The 250d engine is the same generic OM651 diesel as most Mercs including the older models, but with ad-blue. Power is the same as 250 Cdi but the 9g box increases performance. Ad-blue tank is large, about 20 litres and easily lasts me the full service interval without triggering the add blue low message (18000 miles).

One to look out for, these engines were subject of a recall as part of the emissions scandal, the recall involves updated software that puts more exhaust gas through the EGR valve and uses more add blue. I have not had mine done as I think this is a bad idea and I am not convinced by Mercedes advice that 'if you can prove' the software cased a problem they will fix it for free. Any car serviced by Mercedes after 2019 will have had the 'fix' applied. I have not heard of problems, I am just not convinced.

Oh and the 9g box needs a fluid change at 77500 miles or 5 years whichever is first, if not been done its good negotiation. Quite a big job, lots of fluid, a new sump with filter and it needs configuring on the Mercedes Xentry system I believe, cost £450 to £500 at a Mercedes independent garage, probably more at a dealer.

Happy hunting they are nice cars, fast but with ridiculously good fuel economy (62 mpg on a motorway and urban run yesterday :))
Well, i bought it! Collecring next Thursday. 22000 on the clock and immaculate other than one tiny bumper chip. Is being serviced, MOT, valet and chip fixed.

Everything seems to work although i didn't notice ECO cut in but was only a short run.

Black leather, airscarf, 6cd changer, heated seats. In silver.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

·
4,499 Posts
Great find (y)

From cold, if the battery is well charged, My Eco Stop/Start will cut in with-in half a mile.
But if I've been working on the car with the Radio on, operating the roof ect, it does take 20-30min before it will cut in.

A "SmartTop" module for remote operation of the roof now has an addition option to disable the Start/Stop, un-less You want it to kick in... Plus starts the car in "S" Sport mode, with out having to press the button on ever start up.

Last year We had a few SLK meets ups just down the M40 from You, if Your interested in meeting other owners:
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
*Registered
2015 SLK250d
345 Posts
It looks lovely, that is extremely low mileage for a diesel. You are right stop start only kicks in when warmed up and the battery is fully charged.
Enjoy.

·
*Registered
2016 SLK250d
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys. Really excited.

I'm looking forward to going thru all the settings getting it right for us.

On a nice but short stretch i booted it and the seat came out my face 😁

I understand theres a way to reset the gearbox learning so it learns from scratch again for me. Is that easy?

·
*Registered
2015 SLK250D
64 Posts
The Adblue tank is huge, as I have yet to refill it, and I've been driving the car since Oct 2020, albeit not too many miles due to the pandemic. The downside of the location of the Adblue tank is it takes up the whole of the spare wheel well, so one cannot carry a spare wheel unless you put it in the boot and lose all your luggage space.
So far, my ownership has been pretty uneventful except for an ABS wheel sensor failing, claimed on my warranty. The Becker sat-nav is not very good at all. I also very much dislike the control on the console that controls it and the radio/CD.
Finally who, at Mercedes-Benz put the cruise control/speed limiter on a stalk below the indicator stalk when there is space for it on the other side of the steering binnacle. In fact there is nothing on the right side of the steering binnacle at all. What an idiot !

·
*Registered
2016 SLK250d
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found it a little odd the cruise control was below the light stalk. On my e220 it is the othe was around and perfect. My hands sit at ren to two and a flick of the fingers adjusts it. Here i have to move my hand a little.

I will get used to it but it will be tough sqitching between the E220 and the SLK all the time!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts