Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming home from golf Saturday, and took residence in the HOV lane doing about 80. I looked at the rear view and saw a brand new Jag on my tail...really close. I gave it a minute to see what he was up to. He had ample opportunity to pass, but didn't. So, top up, air on (it was 115) I punched it. He immediately followed suit.

We went from 80 to 130 plus very quickly. I knew there would be no real winner in this type of challenge, so I monitored distance. We started at 80 with him 5 feet from my rear bumper. At 130, he was 3 car lengths back. Moving closer to 140 and he was losing ground...maybe 5 to 6 car lengths.

At that point, I realized anything more would be more foolish than what had already occurred. I slowly let off the pedal. He was clearly pissed. He finally did grab another lane and passed by my passenger door pretty close. Even with tinted glass I could see the stunned and upset look on his face.

I don't know what model Jag this was. I have a mental picture (mostly from my rear view!) and will check the Jag website tomorrow. Dual performance exhaust, wide stance, silver color, temp plates, beefy tires and that crappy vagina-looking air intake up front.

Oh, and I almost had a hole-in-one about an hour before this kill. It was a good morning.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
The new XKR convertibles are out on the street over here - 503 bhp, 412ftlbs, 0-6 in the 4.6 range, and electronically limited at 155. I saw one out this weekend, actually looks better that I though from the pictures, and with a supercharged 5 liter, I'm thinking it should be able to keep up with my '55, particulararly at 80+.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brand new (which is why it had the dealer issued temp plates) and NOT a convertible. I will do the research today.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Clarkson had one of the new four door XFR's on Top Gear this week - was a few hundredths of second off the M5 on the Power Lap - and actually looks pretty good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts