Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have recently looked at tyres options for both 225 40 18 front and 245 35 18 Rear, as My 55 only used as 2nd/ weekend motor,

1.OEM Pirelli P zero MO (oem marked)
2 Michellin Pilot sport 4
3 Goodyear F1 Assymetric 5
4. Dunlop spor maxx RT2
or???

Any suggestion or any other options?? please share your experience/ opinions on options
Thanks in advance, Dani

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
181 Posts
AS 3 + if you want all season. I had the OEM Pirelli P zero and they were a hard ride. Went to the As3 and a lot smoother and longer lasting.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
94,980 Posts
Time for new shoes! Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

and you can go up to 255 rear like mine :D

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,652 Posts
Premium high grip short life summers --- Pirelli P-Zero's
Mid range summers -- Kumho Ecstas

Not overly impressed with OEM Continentals ( tramlining and loss of grip at 1/2 life ) and Nankang ( will get the model numbers ) just no grip.

·
Registered 2008 SLK55 AMG
21 Posts
Am also getting ready to do the same, currently have Pirelli P Zero, definitely a harder ride.
Looking at...
Hankook V12 EVO II ..had them on another car and really liked them
General G-Max RS get great reviews....
Summer driving only, less than 2K per year, golf course and back plus the occasional dine and drive event...

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
911 Posts
Agree with Jeff, PS4s hands down! I have had Conti DW, Michelin PSS and the PS4s is definitely the best and they are holding up to age much better than the others.

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeff yes PS4 seems the way to go, as youtube review favorite, never tried before myself, about GY F1 Ass3, i got it on my Integra R, v.nice as i previously used Yoko AD08 which is hard sidewall,
Jeff after seeing your photo, i now have desire to have the piecha diffuser before my nxt tyre stop :D

·
94,980 Posts
Jeff yes PS4 seems the way to go, as youtube review favorite, never tried before myself, about GY F1 Ass3, i got it on my Integra R, v.nice as i previously used Yoko AD08 which is hard sidewall,
Jeff after seeing your photo, i now have desire to have the piecha diffuser before my nxt tyre stop :D
ty

but not piecha

that is a chrometec :D

·
Registered 2016 SLK55 AMG
90 Posts

·
Registered 2016 SLK55 AMG
90 Posts
changing the four on mine soon ready for the summer. OEM contis still on the front (really dont like them), but I have changed the rears once for Mich PS4s, gotta be honest, totally changed the handling/drive compared to the OEMs, have loved them. But after a lot of research, I've decided to go for the new GY Asymm 5s next, all round.

btw fronts for mine are 235x40x18, and not 225??

·
94,980 Posts
might have been change on r172s over r171s 55s

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,067 Posts
Surprised no one has added the Cont DWS06 A/S tires - quiet, excellent grip (especially in the wet), superb handling and long thread life. As good, if not better than, the PS4s, IMO. Gotta put this tire on your list and check out reviews from owners. The DWS is NOT same as DW or ContiContact.... Very different in design and performance from OE Contis...

·
911 Posts
Surprised no one has added the Cont DWS06 A/S tires - quiet, excellent grip (especially in the wet), superb handling and long thread life. As good, if not better than, the PS4s, IMO. Gotta put this tire on your list and check out reviews from owners. The DWS is NOT same as DW or ContiContact.... Very different in design and performance from OE Contis...
I am not sure where you got that info, but the DWS is not in the same category as the PS4s. The DW is the higher performance version that would compete with them. The DWS is an all season tire and can't hold a candle to the PS4s or DW, nor was it made to.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
133 Posts
I got Pirelli P zero MO on mine with 265 on the rear, the grip is amazing and fills in the rear perfectly

·
1,067 Posts
I am not sure where you got that info, but the DWS is not in the same category as the PS4s. The DW is the higher performance version that would compete with them. The DWS is an all season tire and can't hold a candle to the PS4s or DW, nor was it made to.
The OP is asking for tire options and suggestions, hence throwing in the Conti DWS06 in the list. Does not have to be in same category with PS4s unless that is a requirement to be on the list...

·
911 Posts
The OP is asking for tire options and suggestions, hence throwing in the Conti DWS06 in the list. Does not have to be in same category with PS4s unless that is a requirement to be on the list...
Oh, you just said they are "As good, if not better than, the PS4s ". Performance wise they are not close. Now if you need cold weather or snow traction or longevity is needed, then yes. OP listed max performance summer only tires in his list though, so I don't think those are a consideration.

·
1,067 Posts
I did add the qualifier "IMO"... ;)

I was thinking since the OP lives in the UK which has a fair amount of rainy weather all year round, having a tire that has excellent wet traction such as the Conti DWS06 would be a good option to include...

But if it is all about UHP summer only tires, then I will agree with you that the PS4s is probably a top option to consider.

·
911 Posts
I did add the qualifier "IMO"... ;)

I was thinking since the OP lives in the UK which has a fair amount of rainy weather all year round, having a tire that has excellent wet traction such as the Conti DWS06 would be a good option to include...

But if it is all about UHP summer only tires, then I will agree with you that the PS4s is probably a top option to consider.
And I was giving my opinion why I disagreed with yours :D

I am sure you know, but others may not; The Conit naming system is pretty easy. The D stands for Dry, W for Wet and S for Snow. So a DW is meant for dry and wet, the DWS adds snow to this, hence why it is an all season. So a DW would be just fine in the rain. You can also infer performance from looking at the tread. You can see the DW has much larger tread blocks than the DWS and this gives better traction.

Not trying to come across derogatory in my comments, just trying to share some knowledge as I have been very in to high performance cars for 30+ years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts