Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
IMHO a 10% power increase is worthless outside of a rules based racing class. You might "think" you feel the added power for a few days or weeks, but then it will feel normal, and there will always be faster cars on the road from people far less sane about demonstrating it.
Spoken like a true non-gearhead. Give me all the power! It most certainly is noticeable and there gets to be a point where it is enough. I am not quite there yet. I think about 500whp in a SLK is that point for me. A 200 is fine for some, each person has different preferences.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Spoken like a true non-gearhead. Give me all the power! It most certainly is noticeable and there gets to be a point where it is enough. I am not quite there yet. I think about 500whp in a SLK is that point for me. A 200 is fine for some, each person has different preferences.
Once you get the power you think you need a few times, you will start seeing my point. Street driving is about condition of the road, available traction combined with tires to accommodate it, and most of the time the net traction doesn't support 500 hp.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Once you get the power you think you need a few times, you will start seeing my point. Street driving is about condition of the road, available traction combined with tires to accommodate it, and most of the time the net traction doesn't support 500 hp.
You are making the wrong assumption that I haven't had that kind of power in past cars... 450-500whp is my happy spot for a rwd car and here we are just talking hp not whp. Kleemann says my car already has 596hp and it isn't enough., but getting close. Tire technology has come a long ways too, I barely spin with the new tires I put on. It puts a smile on my face, but not quite big enough!

My point is that your idea of power isn't the same as everyone else's. If he wants more power then he should go for it!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Tires have improved, roads have not, neither have drivers. I have a wide assortment of crazy friends with crazy hp, depending on torque around 400 hp tires start spinning on public streets. By about 750 hp tires will spin almost anyplace. 550 rwhp is the target for a lot of my friends because that is about what it takes to break 200 mph, and you can't really say you are crazy without doing that.

BTW my point wasn't some magic hp number, its that you get used to any amount of power and there will always be somebody faster on the street, but feel free to stimulate the economy as my Porsche mechanic says its cheaper than a mistress.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Quaife Diff, Epilogue

Well, the diff is done, and I’ve had an opportunity to play with it. My assessment mirrors that of other members that have installed a limited slip differential. Traction from a dead stop feels more solid and positive. Finding traction on wet or uneven surfaces is greatly improved, and seeing the traction warning light is rare. At speed, judicious use of the loud pedal enables understeer. It feels like a big hand is pushing the back of the car. I wish it would rain here soon, so I can get out, turn on Sport mode, turn off Traction Control, and find an empty parking lot. The wait was worth it.

I’m satisfied with my choice of Quaife. My independent mechanic has fitted four or five Quaife to various Mercedes models, and always find they fit perfectly (within 0.005”), requiring no grinding or shimming. There’s no clutch plate to wear or require maintenance. They’re fit-and-forget, and come with a lifetime warranty. Quaife is the brand of choice as standard equipment for a variety of manufacturers, and de rigueur among aficionados of Porsche and BMW.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On a separate note, Anyone know a good source for aftermarket air filters? I know K&N doesn’t make any for the M152/R172 and based on what I’m seeing on Green filters it’s unlikely.

So I'm debating a cold air intake just to feed the beast a meatier portion of oxygen. SO far needswings has been the only place i've Seen one.

·
Registered
345 Posts
On a separate note, Anyone know a good source for aftermarket air filters? I know K&N doesn’t make any for the M152/R172 and based on what I’m seeing on Green filters it’s unlikely.

So I'm debating a cold air intake just to feed the beast a meatier portion of oxygen. SO far needswings has been the only place i've Seen one.
I bought my filters from https://www.autohausaz.com , but search for the Mann filters and good sources will turn up.

Not sure on MB, but anytime I want a K&N for my Porsche I can get one free, always one or two in my mechanics trash.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I use the aFe pro dry air-filter on mine which gives a sonorous and deep bass note as soon as the car hits 2K rpm or higher under load. I am on my second unit of this filter and highly recommended, if nothing but the sound effect alone.... Bought it from Amazon.. so just search for it. Jeff (@jbanks15) tells me it probably has ~2 butt hp added to my engine performance/output >:D:grin::wink:

·
Registered
558 Posts
@b82012 Can you link one on amazon that would fit my 250? The one you linked is for mustang.

I use the aFe pro dry air-filter on mine which gives a sonorous and deep bass note as soon as the car hits 2K rpm or higher under load. I am on my second unit of this filter and highly recommended, if nothing but the sound effect alone.... Bought it from Amazon.. so just search for it. Jeff (@jbanks15) tells me it probably has ~2 butt hp added to my engine performance/output >:D:grin::wink:

·
Premium Member
901 Posts

·
Premium Member
901 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I should have been more clear

I need to find good performance filters for the 2014 SLK 55 AMG (M152/R172) car. The current makers of performance filters I am familiar with do not produce one. I’m sure the uniqueness of the M152 motor has something to do with it.

I will check Autohauzas so thank you for that post, and I’m glad that some of the other users were able to get good info as well.

Just need something better than the OEM (not that I dislike MB) and I would like some opinions from others who have walked this path.

So to be clear this is for the 2012-2015 SLK 55AMG V8 naturally aspirated motor that has two filters.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I need to find good performance filters for the 2014 SLK 55 AMG (M152/R172) car. The current makers of performance filters I am familiar with do not produce one. I’m sure the uniqueness of the M152 motor has something to do with it.

I will check Autohauzas so thank you for that post, and I’m glad that some of the other users were able to get good info as well.

Just need something better than the OEM (not that I dislike MB) and I would like some opinions from others who have walked this path.

So to be clear this is for the 2012-2015 SLK 55AMG V8 naturally aspirated motor that has two filters.
I’ve seen BMC filters mentioned here. Those seem like the only ‘performance’ filters made for this engine. I went with oem, I just couldn’t justify the extra cost for them.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Is there any reasonable way to bump the 172 55 to around 500 hp?

0-60 is now 4 seconds dead ( 62 in 4.08 )
How do I get closer to 3.5?
If your just interested in straight line sprints then nitros is the answer , it'll be the cheapest and easiest way to your wanted power gain , get a hundred shot kit and you'll exceed it easily . If it doesn't work as you want it's easier to return the car to standard than cams , headers etc .

21 - 38 of 38 Posts