Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any reasonable way to bump the 172 55 to around 500 hp?

0-60 is now 4 seconds dead ( 62 in 4.08 )
How do I get closer to 3.5?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Is there any reasonable way to bump the 172 55 to around 500 hp?

0-60 is now 4 seconds dead ( 62 in 4.08 )

How do I get closer to 3.5?

Turbo charging it. Does it loose traction ? If not you’re doing well at 4.0 to 62mph. Remap won’t gain gain you much except drivability change. What tyres you got also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah, the 152 wont take being blown from what I understand. It's already running 12.6:1 compression. I understand Merc didn't want the 55 to show up the SL 63

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Your stock 55 has about 413bhp, so you’d need 80+ HP to reach 500. To get to this number, you may need to go dual turbos, headers (Kleeman, Renntech) and a tune..... should get you easily to 500 whp (I assume your R172 55 has the AMG Perf Pack with the LSD to make proper use of all that power).

But a 4s run from a dead stop to 62mph from a porky 3500 Ib roadster and no race control is plenty fast IMO. Like others have said, with enough money and motivation, anything is achievable....

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are a few modified Rice Burners round here that are getting uppity.

Time to start looking for an AMG GTC I think.

·
Registered
867 Posts
There are a few modified Rice Burners round here that are getting uppity.

Time to start looking for an AMG GTC I think.
Yes, there is still a bit left on the table with the GT C, but even more so in the SL63 as it has the bigger 5.5l engine. I still don't understand why they have 2 cars that are so similar to each other in all aspects.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
From my own research I was informed by 'Mr Kleemann' himself that an ECU remap alone will give you about 25-30 extra horses and long tube headers with sports cats about the same again so that's not 500bhp but it's nearer to 500 than 400! :laugh:

·
Registered
176 Posts
From my own research I was informed by 'Mr Kleemann' himself that an ECU remap alone will give you about 25-30 extra horses and long tube headers with sports cats about the same again so that's not 500bhp but it's nearer to 500 than 400! :laugh:
Throw in a couple of cams too and you probably have the magic number.

·
Super Moderator
11,595 Posts
Don't think that increase is where the rubber meets the road though. As has been discussed :wink:

Throw in a couple of cams too and you probably have the magic number.
Guess @nimbusgb needs to let us know what "reasonable" is to him

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there a supercharger option for these? Is there a better diff option like a quaife?
Supercharger, No. Engine runs too high compression already.

LSD, must be one somewhere.

I have had a remap, the engine is labelled at 419 hp stock and I am getting just on 400 at the rear wheels on a good dyno so perhaps that remap gave me a little over stock.

I have been offered a 4.0l twin turbo V8 of an AMG GT with 15000 miles on it ...... brand new. , 525 hp iirc . But with time and all the hassle it would come to at best £15 000 and would be a modified car with all the associated hassles.

I think trading up may be the best bet.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, there is still a bit left on the table with the GT C, but even more so in the SL63 as it has the bigger 5.5l engine. I still don't understand why they have 2 cars that are so similar to each other in all aspects.
Which is why ( the rumour mill has it ) that the SLK R172 was fitted with a motor that could not be tuned that readily. Merc didn't want the competition to the SL.

The SLK/C is being dropped and I believe the two cars will emerge as an SL with fabric roof.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Which is why ( the rumour mill has it ) that the SLK R172 was fitted with a motor that could not be tuned that readily. Merc didn't want the competition to the SL.

The SLK/C is being dropped and I believe the two cars will emerge as an SL with fabric roof.
I was talking of the GT C and the SL63, they are almost identical in all dimensions. If the GT C was a bit smaller it would make more sense to take over for the SLK. They are within a couple of inches all the way around, the main difference is 400lbs in weight, but on a 3600lb car that isn't that huge.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was talking of the GT C and the SL63, they are almost identical in all dimensions. If the GT C was a bit smaller it would make more sense to take over for the SLK. They are within a couple of inches all the way around, the main difference is 400lbs in weight, but on a 3600lb car that isn't that huge.
Hmmm. A new AMG GT C for £60 k ....... where do I sign????????

:) :)

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Quaife Diff

Is there a better diff option like a quaife?
In February, I had my local trusted Indy shop order a Quaife diff from Birds, part number 209-350. It was overnighted to the Dallas area, and incorrectly delivered by FedEx to a location a block from proper destination, at which time it vanished into thin air. FedEx made good with Birds, but no additional units were in stock. I’ve been waiting four months now for replacement. Birds says a new, improved design with larger lubrication passages will be available end of the month, to be fitted to my R172 sometime hopefully early June. I’ll let the group know how that turns out.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Quaife Diff, Continued.....

My nightmare wait for this diff has ended. Previous part number should be disregarded....correct Quaife part number is QDF36B. Work has begun on its fitment....details of that work and my assessment of its value will still be forthcoming. Stay tuned, Gentle Reader....

·
Registered
347 Posts
IMHO a 10% power increase is worthless outside of a rules based racing class. You might "think" you feel the added power for a few days or weeks, but then it will feel normal, and there will always be faster cars on the road from people far less sane about demonstrating it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts