Mercedes SLK World banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah. Needed, of course, is a friend
with Star diagnostics system and Vediamo.
The exhaust flap stuff is under engine ECU (MED17); there is "avgasklappe" parameter, switchable on/off.

Not really hard to do, but without Star (C3 or SDconnect4) and Vediamo, of course a no-go.

If this is done, it'd better to open the flaps first, then disconnect and modify the ECU parameter.

While at it, I'd switch the top speed limiter to 305 km/h - since that, too, is under the engine ECU.

·
Registered
921 Posts
So I have the never ending cycling of the exhaust flap on ignition... e.g. turn ignition on, one flap works perfectly, cycles and then stops in the closed position, the other just keeps on cycling every 5 seconds or so....

So I thought it must be the actuator, so bought one, and had it fitted, and nothing has changed, it still just keeps on cycling...

Anybody know what may actually be the issue, and how to solve it?

Cheers in advance

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
So I have the never ending cycling of the exhaust flap on ignition... e.g. turn ignition on, one flap works perfectly, cycles and then stops in the closed position, the other just keeps on cycling every 5 seconds or so....

So I thought it must be the actuator, so bought one, and had it fitted, and nothing has changed, it still just keeps on cycling...

Anybody know what may actually be the issue, and how to solve it?

Cheers in advance

Mark
Are you sure you replaced the correct side? Was it the cycling one you replaced or the static one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone figured out way to keep flaps open. Are they vacuum controlled or by electric motor. My other car flaps operate via vacuum and it's pretty simple to either shut vacuum off or keep active. I've tried to find the flap actuators but not located them.
I'd like a little more sound. I liked the way my 2005 R 171 sounded
The easiest way I’ve found is keeping my foot on the gas, but something tells me that’s not what you want.

The best thing I’ve seen on the exhaust can be found here:
https://www.0-100.info/2011/07/2012-mercedes-slk-55-amgr-172-preview.html?m=1

It has a nice photo of the system as well.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Are you sure you replaced the correct side? Was it the cycling one you replaced or the static one?
Well, I replaced the one that keeps on cycling, as they have never done this before, so I thought that was the one that was broken?

It just keep opening and closing, opening and closing about every 5 seconds, and once I replaced the actuator, it carried on doing just that.

I thought the one that did one cycle then closed, was working perfectly, are you going to tell me differently :)

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Well, I replaced the one that keeps on cycling, as they have never done this before, so I thought that was the one that was broken?

It just keep opening and closing, opening and closing about every 5 seconds, and once I replaced the actuator, it carried on doing just that.

I thought the one that did one cycle then closed, was working perfectly, are you going to tell me differently :)
Hi Mark,

Sorry to say you have changed the wrong side. Fit the new actuator on the other side and you’re good to go! :wink:

Col

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hi Mark,

Sorry to say you have changed the wrong side. Fit the new actuator on the other side and you’re good to go! :wink:

Col
Noooooooooo!!..

And when I bought the new one they seemed to suggest it was a handed item, so that will be another £250 to buy the one I thought was working.. lol, unless I can somehow shoehorn the other one in with gaffa tape :) (are they handed)? there seems to be only one part number for them, indicating they could be universal?

So your saying that a constantly cycling flap is normal on ignition?, and the one that stays shut it the problem one?.. just making sure, I know you've changed yours so you know, but it may be another £250 I gotta spend.. lol

Also just for info, If I do try fitting it myself this time, how much of the exhaust would I have to drop?

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Noooooooooo!!..

And when I bought the new one they seemed to suggest it was a handed item, so that will be another £250 to buy the one I thought was working.. lol, unless I can somehow shoehorn the other one in with gaffa tape :) (are they handed)? there seems to be only one part number for them, indicating they could be universal?

So your saying that a constantly cycling flap is normal on ignition?, and the one that stays shut it the problem one?.. just making sure, I know you've changed yours so you know, but it may be another £250 I gotta spend.. lol

Also just for info, If I do try fitting it myself this time, how much of the exhaust would I have to drop?
The actuator is not a handed item. Every time you put your key in the ignition the flaps perform a system check cycling one flap and then the other. When the dead flap does not move during this check the other flap continues to cycle. Basically the system is making sure both flaps are functioning and synchronised is the same position. So yes the cycling flap is always the good one!

It’s possible to replace an actuator without lowering the exhaust. You can improve access and make it easier by removing the diffuser from the bumper although I did it without removing that either!

All you have to do is replace the one that isn’t moving. I suggest you fit the good one you had removed assuming the person who removed it didn’t throw it in the bin! :laugh:

·
Registered
921 Posts
All you have to do is replace the one that isn’t moving. I suggest you fit the good one you had removed assuming the person who removed it didn’t throw it in the bin! :laugh:
Cool thanks for the info, and yes luckily when I was leaving the garage, I said, we'll if changing the part made no difference, can I have the old one as I could probably sell it on ebay to get some money back.. lol

So I have it sat in my office in the box :)

I guess that as well as changing the actuator, may have to 'free up' the flap itself, as it hasn't moved in over a year.. :) wonder what the car will sound like when it actually opens.. ohh can't wait, I'll try changing it at the weekend.. Thanks for the info Col.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts