Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the AMG performance magazine today the AMG PL offered.

The stories have to do with Brooklands, Beverly Hills, Tokyo, and Dubai; along with decades of AMG.

I have yet to read it, but the photography is stunning. While I leafed through it, not much on AMG's but the social times that's geared to the last 40 years in the US.

Opinions?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
in my opinion, it doesnt seem like amg was a big time success with their cars until the early/ mid 90's. Seemed to me like it was mostly racing pride, IMO. but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
this is probably why, found this on edmunds.

"
AMG. Those three letters are as revered by auto enthusiasts as ERA or RBI are by baseball fanatics. But what do they stand for and what are they doing affixed to various Mercedes-Benz cars? The first two letters stand for the names of the founders: Hans-Werner Aufrecht and Erhard Melcher, and the last letter signifies where the company was born: Grossaspach, Germany, back in 1967. What Mr. A and Mr. M did was modify Mercedes-Benz cars for better performance, be it for road use or racing, in which they were heavily involved. As the years went on, AMG became known as a premier tuner of Mercedes-Benz automobiles, and eventually offered interior and exterior modifications, such as custom instruments, steering wheels and seats, as well as ground effects, spoilers and wheels. The company did such a great job that Mercedes-Benz brought it in-house in 1990, and as a result, AMG now has its own high-performance skunk works, similar to rival BMW's "M" division. There is now an AMG version of nearly every Benz model, from the C-Class line's C55 to the CL-Class' CL65, and they all feature powerful engines, agile suspensions and subtle accents inside and out to set them apart from their more common brethren"

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
Oh yeah, and don't miss the article about how 'brakes are the most important part of a performance car'.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
i would say suspension. doesnt matter how fast you can go, if u cant handle it your in trouble.

Look at the elises, handles great, not all that fast in a straight line, but will be damn close to be on a track!

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
Eh....i see your point, but i was quoting the AMG magazine in light of AMG's recent contradictory statement about the 2008 slk's 'new' brakes, and how it's the better choice for buyers.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Oh yeah, and don't miss the article about how 'brakes are the most important part of a performance car'.
lol, good one, but at least it doesn't squeal, who likes squealing brakes. :biglaugh:

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.