Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the lowest tolerable temperature would be for a decent top-down roadtrip ...

This morning I pulled out of the driveway, top-down, at 6:50 a.m. The car temp gauge said 46 but that turned out to be "driveway temp." Once the car got moving the gauge dropped to 40 degrees. A neighbor spotted the car creeping quietly out of the driveway in the dark and gave a disbelieving wave as the SLK350 purred by.

For this expedition I wore blue jeans, a long sleeved shirt, a light sweater, an insulated leather jacket, a ski hat and gloves. My buddy Rob appeared to be a member of the Russian mob in his outfit. But then, he always looks that way.

Starting from Tucson, Arizona, our goal was to drive the scenic Rt 83 down to Sonoita, Patagonia and Nogales. Speed limits run 75 MPH on the short stretch of I-10 we covered, then 55 MPH on most of Rt 83. Although there were no highway speed traps, this is an area with a large Border Patrol presence, which can startle an unwary driving enthusiast.

The scenery was superb as the sun rose over the mountains. The air was crystal clear, as we usually get on a windless day. The road rose up to 5,000 feet above sea level and the temp dropped to 39, but we were comfortable with the windows rolled up, seat heaters on occasionally, and the cabin heat set at 72 (no Airscarf).

We stopped in at Patagonia for a snack and a browse around that old town, then continued almost to Nogales (the border with Mexico) and turned around. By the time we got back to I-10 the temp was a balmy 54 and we rolled down the windows -- but kept the hats on.

Roundtrip was 150 miles, averaging 26 MPG, and we were home by 10 a.m. So yes, the SLK is fine even in the cool weather, with a reasonable amount of warm clothing. Can't wait to do it again!

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Great Post !

When I started my lowest temperature was 65 F

Last week I took it out in the low 40's, with a dip dowm to 39 !

Heated Seats & Airscarf are a big help, as well as windscreens and a good coat.

I heartily endorse this thread !

Just wait til some of the Northern boys jump in ! You'll see some top down temps that will shock you !

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I lived in Rochester NY I used to go top down in temps starting at 35 but that was cold I did it to get looks from the cold people but 40 was the best time I didn't need a jacket. Now it don't get that cold just at the top of the hill so I can't brag......

·
Registered
315 Posts
Couple of weeks ago, I finished work at 08:00 & set off home on my 17 mile commute.

It was -3c = 26.6f

Scraped the ice from the windscreen, dropped the roof & set off home, much to the amazement of my colleagues! I don't have air scarf either, just wore my usual fleece jacket. Had the heated seat on though & heater set on MAX!

Took about 20 mins to get home. Only part of me that was cold was my left ear and left hand.

Some of the looks I was getting from other drivers & pedestrians was priceless!

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I park my SLK up for the winter, but ride bikes all year round as long as there is not ice or snow on the road.

Someone I used to work with many years ago also used to ride all year round. One winters day, his bike was in getting serviced, so he took his old (Willys look-alike) Jeep into work, - no roof, no doors etc.etc. One of the girls, who knew he usually rode a bike, asked 'Aren't you cold?' (and no, she wasn't blonde!!).

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Uh, put the windows DOWN for full effect :tu:

·
Registered
31 Posts
-13c for me with full heat, heated seats and air scarf all cranking. Wasn't too bad but you do get some strange looks and my wife thought I was being ridiculous.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well...as a Bostonian, I'm known for driving my motorcycle when it's in the 20's, but the SLK? Sheesh...if you bundle up, wear gloves, and set the heater to high, you can easily drive around in the 20's and 30's fahrenheit without problem all day long. One of the things I love about my SLK is the absolutely killer heater.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
When I lived in Rochester NY I used to go top down in temps starting at 35 but that was cold I did it to get looks from the cold people but 40 was the best time I didn't need a jacket. Now it don't get that cold just at the top of the hill so I can't brag......
65 mph winds in Rha-cha-cha today. I guess it would be a bad day to rock out with your top off.

Man I miss Rochester.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts