Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just been searching through a 'plethora' of AMG rear diffuser threads in the hope of finding a member who has fitted the "4 Piece Diffuser kit." (Observe photo)

Just to clarify from the start "I do not" want any Piecha, Carlsson, CF or any other form/brand other than the kit illustrated in the photo! Reason: I like that it resembles (Somewhat) the R172 55 AMG rear diffuser (I'm talking about the "Vanes" and I know it has 3!) and I do not want to start cutting and gluing etc. The kit comes with '4 vanes' so 3 or 4 could be fitted according to preference.

Question: Has any member fitted these and do they have any photos and comments? Hummm, comments should I have put that, lol...>:D

PS: Photo of R172 AMG diffuser for reference FYI...

Attachments

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
The fins or vanes look kind-of large and shape makes it looks non-OEM. I also like 3 vanes/fins vs. four. This is just my personal opinion and preference.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,926 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did you search the UTube as well?

Sometime get lucky. It's the sort of thing folk like to document.
Well, it was a video I posted along with i860 that caught my attention regarding the rear diffuser here at 31 seconds https://youtu.be/X-9uQuZHKSE

It reminded me of the R172 AMG diffuser, if 3 vanes/fins were fitted....

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fins or vanes look kind-of large and shape makes it looks non-OEM. I also like 3 vanes/fins vs. four. This is just my personal opinion and preference.
Yes, I do tend to agree with you - and maybe it would look better with 3 and not 4 (Fins)...? I suppose I'm just looking at what else to do to my 55, can't seem to stop myself adding bits to it, lol...:|

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are multiple threads on that diffuser. For the original thread from 2012, see right here (CLICKY!). Opinion at the time was not very positive as you will see when you read it.

Some more threads:

http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r171/122529-kspeed-diffuser.html

http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r171/139705-rear-diffuser-awesome-look.html
Thanks for the info and threads, it would certainly appear that some members don't like them and have valid comments, yet they have been fitted on a members car to a few positive comments also. I suppose at the end of the day, it's up to us as individuals to decide what we want to do to our pride and joy. (SLK's) I guess for me,living in Thailand for 22 years has rubbed off on me, and the heavy influence of nearby Japan, in respect of their bolt-on goodies and multitude of stickers; stuck on virtually every part of their cars. I used to race (Circuit/Standing Qtr) a BMW M3 and I don't think any paintwork was absent of stickers and bolt-on bits given by the sponsors....Hummm, wish I could be a purist lol....:frown:

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,724 Posts
Hi All

I agree with having 3 & not 4 blades . To me they look a little over size for the rear bumper is there any way to reduce the size , I'm not sure how they have been made solid or hollow . If your going with fitting all 4 may be make the inner 2 a small size

Cheers

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi All

I agree with having 3 &I not 4 blades . To me they look a little over size for the rear bumper is there any way to reduce the size , I'm not sure how they have been made solid or hollow . If your going with fitting all 4 may be make the inner 2 a small size

Cheers

Andy
Thanks for the advice Andy, and the helpful suggestion. I think that I'll buy a set anyway, and just have a play with them as you suggested. Firstly, I will not be drilling my baby, lol...I'll be attaching them with 3M tape and then use Sony Silicone (Black) to fix them securely - that way I can always remove them if they really look crap, and no holes to boot! I'll also be spraying the rear centre piece of the fins (Which hide the fixings) Iridium Silver to match the small strip at the bottom of the diffuser and rest of the car. I'll do as you suggest: try 2,3, and 4 fins at different depths to see which looks the best. Now I just have to wait 4 weeks for delivery...:| Thanks again for the suggestions, Terence...

·
1,724 Posts
Hi All
The other way would be if you know any who is good with photoshop or sketching like a car stylist.

Cheers

Andy

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,860 Posts
Well, it was a video I posted along with i860 that caught my attention regarding the rear spoiler here at 31 seconds https://youtu.be/X-9uQuZHKSE

It reminded me of the R172 AMG diffuser, if 3 vanes/fins were fitted....
Will be watching this thread with interest Terence. Mabel's due a birthday present in the spring and this might just tick the box. :smile:

BTW I'd not seen that clip ... that car's something else!! :surprise::surprise::surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will be watching this thread with interest Terence. Mabel's due a birthday present in the spring and this might just tick the box. :smile:

BTW I'd not seen that clip ... that car's something else!! :surprise::surprise::surprise:
I think that it was Dave4ts that tried to fit an R172 AMG diffuser, on a past thread that got me interested,(Apart from the video) but because of having to cut the diffuser and lower the rear exhaust tail pipes, he had it up for sale on the site. (Photo of SLK R172) I like the 3 fin set-up and that it blended in and enhanced the appearance of the rear of the car. I thought if AMG wanted to fit a diffuser to update their later models - I'd like to do the same and update the rear of mine.
I like the shape of the R171 AMG diffuser and do not want to replace it - just modify it - I also like the little matching colored strip at the bottom and want to keep it. Anyway, when the kit arrives I'll try 3/4 fins to see what looks the best and take some photos for the site....:smile:

Attachments

·
1,724 Posts
Hi All
Oh that video , I'm still not sure if it a little made up or put together . I like the way he or she shifts to 7th gear at about 170 mph .
Yes you can see the rear fins

Cheers

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Diffuser kit arrived today from Korea. I am quite pleased as the centre of the fin width is only about 2.5 inches, so hopefully they won't stick out too far, Now I'm just waiting for some silicone to arrive before fitting them on...:|

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350
852 Posts
I've been looking at this same kit so please do let us know how well they fit, do they look 'oem' or after market??
Would love to see some pics.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After careful consideration 'and' because of the request above, I will put a photo of the finished diffuser kit. "BUT" please consider that this is 'my' car and what I do to it may not be the like of other members. I chose the kit because I liked it above all the other diffusers that I considered purchasing. There are many to choose from, so I suggest whoever wants to fit an after market diffuser: "Pick what you prefer/like personally" and fit it to 'your' vehicle...

As also mentioned above, I tried fitting 2,3 and 4 vanes/fins to see what (In my opinion and i860) looked the best. We both decided that "4 fins/vanes" looked the best, so we fitted them. I also 'screwed' them as came with the fitting kit, rather than silicone as I was rather pleased with the finished look. I also 'sprayed' the inserts the same color/colour as my car and the bottom of the original diffuser, quite simply because this is 'the look I wanted to achieve.'

The photo is a little 'off centre' but believe me i860 and myself spent a lot of time measuring to make sure everything was centred.
(Measure twice and drill once)

Footnote: Since I have fitted the rear diffuser, 5 complete strangers (When I have parked to go shopping) have positively commented on the black CF and diffuser - 4 of them asked to take photos of the car and even asked if the car was a LTD edition SLK - I complied with their photo request. Even my daughter's boyfriend's father (Who's an avid TVR enthusiast and owner) requested taking some photos to show his colleagues, so I am very pleased at the response so far...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,274 Posts
Lotta effort went into that. Good job well done :tu:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.