Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh, I went to the lake this weekend, and upon returning to my car found the 3rd brake light hanging loose from the trunk. It looks like the three plastic clips that secure the light to the inner housing all snapped off (all at once?).

Anyone else had this problem? I doubt it's covered under warranty, any ideas how much a replacement light will cost?

·
Registered
56 Posts
well if you still have warranty, i reckon it should still be under warranty. isn't it secured inside the bumper? how could it just break off inside? anyway. no harm in giving it a go!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Hey calibrand - the third brake light is actually two pieces, one is the led light itself (what you see from the outside), and a plastic piece that fits in from the "inside".

This inside piece is secured both by plastic clips and three screws. I've got one if you want it, is in "like new" condition.

MSRP is around $160usd, but you can pick them up on ebay for $80-90.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I brought the SLK in to MB today, and they're going to replace the brake light under warranty for me (just have to wait for the part). While it was there, they went ahead and did a recall item on it (Service Invoice lists it as "Replaced Guide Pulley" if anyone is wondering.

Seems to me they could have designed the mounting system a bit more robustly. A coupld extra grams of plastic wouldn't load the vehicle down, and save on these repairs. I know I'll be extra ginger w/ the trunk lid from here on.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
That's great news calibrand. I'm really curious how it broke (sounds like a defect in yours, honestly) - I've not exactly been gentle with my trunk lid, and when I replaced mine with the smoked version, it seemed pretty robust.

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,507 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.