Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY new black SLS is all tucked in with the battery minder under its new car cover just waiting out the Canadian winter but my question is when she comes out to play in the spring do I apply 3M. The dealership asked the question and I said I would think about it. I have never put 3M on any of my vehicles but have to admit the few rock chips on my SLK 55's hood annoyed me no end because being a black car they were really noticeable. I am not a big fan of 3M because of the visible edge and the older film used to discolor over time. I'm told the kit for the SLS will cover about the first 2 feet of the hood and it costs $1100.
I am just looking for advise and others experience with 3M.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Harry, I've seen some really good 3M jobs on high end cars - and I think if I were in your shoes and living in Calgary, I'd give it a try rather than risk your paint job...

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,831 Posts

·
94,831 Posts
Never!! Ever!!

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Good to know. I just got my bumper back from the body shop and he said there is a new product that he can spray on that will do the same as the 3M stuff but for less money. I wasn't interested so i didn't ask what its called but it might be worth looking into.

·
94,831 Posts
i would be scared of a spray product. how can they ensure the same thickness is uniform over the sprayed area?

·
94,831 Posts
clearcoat probably done by robot. does he use a robot? just playing devil's advocate here. investigate thoroughly. plus 3m/clearbra/etc can be removed easily. can the spray job?

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
No robot, the job will only look good if the body shop knows what they are doing and if they do a top notch job. I do like the option of removing the protective film though.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jeff, your photos have convinced me to take the 3M route. I will be using Zaino on the car so I am not concerned about wax build-up and if it looks as good as yours I will be really happy.

·
94,831 Posts
Welcome. I have used wax, polish, ice, griot's garage speedshine over the clearbra.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts