Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have to do the headlamp restoration, the clear coat is starting to go hazy at the upper part on both sides, in the near future.

I am seeking opinions and experiences on the 2 kits: 3M Headlight Restoration with Protectant vs Meguair's G3000 Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit.

Any feed back/opinion/ experiences is welcome.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,759 Posts

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
To quote the Sarge, "search is your friend"! I have seen some good threads on the various restoration kits available.

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Hi Eddy, I had an issue with one light and tried a Meguiar's kit first. The one I got was different to the one you are considering and was not up to the job! I then used the 3M kit with brilliant results! Did this several months ago and the light is still looking good.

·
Super Moderator - DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,015 Posts
The Meg's kit I used did an ok job on lightly marked headlights - not as good as I was expecting, but ok.

I'll be trying the 3M one next year I think ...

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
I haven't restored mine yet, but one of them definitely needs doing, so I think I will be soon (unless I decide to go the Spyder route instead, as I also want to add DRLs somehow too).

There was a post on the R171 Facebook group earlier this week from someone that uses the 3M kit, and it sounds like he's used it multiple times as he was restoring somebody else's headlights this time.

The pics he included certainly looked like he did a great job with it. :tu:

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To quote the Sarge, "search is your friend"! I have seen some good threads on the various restoration kits available.
I did, but wanted to see what people's experiences are, i.e., head-to-head comparison. So far it seems the 3M works better than Meguair's (based on reading UK members' experience).

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I only used mcguiers so I can't compare, but i'll offer this advice: cover anything and everything under the hood because the stuff will go everywhere once you start with the drill. I'm still cleaning mine a year later!

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
I mentioned a post on an R171 Facebook group earlier. I checked and I was wrong... the post was for someone I know from that group, but it wasn't added to the group itself.

As I mentioned earlier, I haven't done this myself yet, so the pics I'm sharing are not mine. These are the before, during and after pics from that Facebook post that appeared in my newsfeed... I think the results look stunning! :D

Apparently, they used the following 3M kit:

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
I mentioned a post on an R171 Facebook group earlier. I checked and I was wrong... the post was for someone I know from that group, but it wasn't added to the group itself.

As I mentioned earlier, I haven't done this myself yet, so the pics I'm sharing are not mine. These are the before, during and after pics from that Facebook post that appeared in my newsfeed... I think the results look stunning! :D

Apparently, they used the following 3M kit:
That looks like the kit I used Dave! I was impressed :smile:

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
I haven't restored mine yet, but one of them definitely needs doing, so I think I will be soon (unless I decide to go the Spyder route instead, as I also want to add DRLs somehow too).

There was a post on the R171 Facebook group earlier this week from someone that uses the 3M kit, and it sounds like he's used it multiple times as he was restoring somebody else's headlights this time.

The pics he included certainly looked like he did a great job with it. :tu:
Spyder, Spyder, Spyder.......

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Here's what I pan to get from Amazon, it includes the 3M automotive masking tape and wax protectant: Amazon.com: 3M 39098 Headlight Restoration Kit with Tape and Protectant: Automotive
The kit I used had all the things listed for that kit except the "wax protectant". Seems odd to me that it was omitted. Planned on getting a clear lacquer/uv spray on coating but haven't got round to it thus far...

Spyder, Spyder, Spyder.......
I too fancied the black Spyders but a few things put me off...

Dodgy resistors causing drl's to play up.

Issues with lenses oxidising after a year or so.

No seller in Europe offering a true RHD version, although you'd think the ones supplied in Australia should in theory be ok. Having fitted similar aftermarket lights on another car I found the manual adjustment a pain and the beam pattern/performance to be sub standard.

The last nail in the Spyder coffin for me is the loss of auto levelling, which is the real deal breaker being a requirement in Europe for all cars equipped with HID lights. Car's got to pass an MOT!

But they look good! Lol

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
Thanks Col... looks like I'll be getting one of the 3M kits at some point soon too then! :D

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Thanks Col... looks like I'll be getting one of the 3M kits at some point soon too then! :D
It is a good product, having seen your light I think you'd get a great result from it. Shame about the short comings of the Spyders though, I really like the look but style over substance I fear...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've used both and the 3M is the better product in my opinion. The results also depended on how hazed they are. I had one light that wood just not finish crystal clear. Based on photos in this thread I think you'd get great results. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
The kit I used had all the things listed for that kit except the "wax protectant". Seems odd to me that it was omitted. Planned on getting a clear lacquer/uv spray on coating but haven't got round to it thus far...

I too fancied the black Spyders but a few things put me off...

Dodgy resistors causing drl's to play up.

Issues with lenses oxidising after a year or so.

No seller in Europe offering a true RHD version, although you'd think the ones supplied in Australia should in theory be ok. Having fitted similar aftermarket lights on another car I found the manual adjustment a pain and the beam pattern/performance to be sub standard.

The last nail in the Spyder coffin for me is the loss of auto levelling, which is the real deal breaker being a requirement in Europe for all cars equipped with HID lights. Car's got to pass an MOT!

But they look good! Lol
Good points Col.
a shame such a nice stylish lamp may be poor quality and illegal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just had the headlights on my 2005 SLK 350 restored by a auto detail shop. I was thinking of doing it myself using the 3M kit after doing a lot of research. Many detail shops and repair shops even restore them and I discovered quite a few use the 3M system. Anyway I wasn't very confident in my abilities so was glad to find this out and the place I went to here in Appleton, WI charged $70 and did it in an hour!
They look absolutely mint, could not be happier. Wish I had pictures to show how seriously they were oxidized I was really worried I had let them go too long but so thankful they have been rejuvenated back to show room clarity!

Anyway whether DIY or not choose 3M but call around you may be surprised at how reasonable it is to have the job done professionally!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts