Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had on of those 3M plastic film covers on the front of my cars. My new car came with one and I' m debating if I want it put on or not. Anyone ever regret installing it?

The pro's are obviously less stone chips. The con I guess is appearance as you can see the film, esp the line on the hood. Any other cons? Paint damage? etc?

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Looking at all the little pit marks in the film, knowing that they would have been stone chips in the paint, I highly recommend it!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,254 Posts
never regretted my clearbra for a minute. do a search for the topic.

·
98,254 Posts

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I bought my SLK used, so I don't have one there. However, I have them on my other two cars and I will never buy another "new" car where I don't have one installed by one of the higher end cutters. If you don't like it you can take it off or replace it, too.

·
98,254 Posts
and the argument that they yellow is that you get what you pay for. Spend the dough to protect your $55K plus baby!

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,459 Posts
Jbanks , my teen Rent a Kids now wear clear bras too but that is a different Story. That clear Bra on your black Slk looks like it is not there but lets talk about them Detailer Wax lines between the Fender and Bumper that is just not up to Standard. LOL. I have the Stone Chips on the Hood on my old R170 but no Bikini lines. Jeff what ya gonna do about???? LOL LOL

·
98,254 Posts
that is not wax. i use ice polish around those areas specifically because wax is so hard to get out of there. only excuse is car was dirty? see the rust in the wheel area?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input and the older link Jeff. I tried a search but it never came up. Odd.

Well, so far I don't hear any negatives apart from 'bikini line' and obviously the price. The front bumper has been repainted on mine just before I bought it so it seems covering that would be a good idea. Oddly enough, the hood has no chips at the front after 170k, but there are chips up the sides of the windscreen and even on the top of the trunk!

I loved my Porsche when it was old and covered with chips ... I could drive it anywhere and enjoy the driving without wincing every time I heard a stone fly by. Now after a repaint, I'm very nervous taking it anywhere. Keeping a car pristine = stress.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used to clear bra all my cars, full hood /fender treatment. and then i discovered that it became increasingly difficult to keep as shiny as the rest of the car. Hard to polish, can't clay etc. Maybe it's just my ignorance in not knowing how to care for the bra. But my thinking now is, 2000-3000 full tx can basically repaint your hood and bumper 2-3x. So unless you have any issues with repainting, my personal opinion is to go all naturale

but then again, what do i know. =)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.