Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any 3D printing experts that could offer advice tó a noob? Our library has a printer; I need to know how to prepare to print. Some help with sketchup would be helpful too.

One of the plastic arms in my center AC vent is broken beyond repair.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
204 Posts
FreeCad an option that i use, then you will need to decide on plastic to use.

Resently printed window part for my I30 using carbon impregnated nylon (not normal stuff very strong as was part of window mech)

Not sure what your lib allows you to use, or available in regard to material (PLA ,ABS)

But all the details needed are under 3D sites, not as simple as you might hope but very much doable

Steep learning curve, but worth it.

best of luck and cheers from down under.

P.S search thingiverse someone might have already made the part

Edit: STlfinder.com finds some SLK models if anyone is interested

·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So do most printers accept most plastics? Or do I need to ask about the printer before buying the plastic?

This arm is attached to the center vent control, when you turn the control this arm opens and closes the vent. It has two small ball joints on the ends that press into plastic bits. It doesn't see much force but will see slight friction. Does that help with material selection?

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,055 Posts
efair, the first step is to learn to model before you even get started with the 3d printer.
If you have a rough model, I can give you some tips on how to improve it.

·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luckily for me, I've used solid modelers since the early 1990's (CATIA). I found tinkercad.com to do exactly just what I needed with a minimal of head-scratching.

My STL is here if you have the means - please review. This is the first time I've designed something for printing, it's not clear to me if just drawing "the part" is enough, or if I need to add anything else to facilitate the printing.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,561 Posts
3D Printing

Who invented the idea of 3D Printing?
Was it the kids....?

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
You'll want to check the nozzle size before buying material. usually its .4mm or .8mm. also the spool will come in 1.75mm or 3.00mm. So check and see what the printer takes. since your using this part on an air vent, I'd use ABS material because it will take heat better than an ASA or something softer without warping

looking at your model, it will be difficult to print something this small with a machine that has a .8mm nozzle. I'm about to switch my home printer over to .4mm and maybe I can do a quick run and see how it turns out. You will probably need to do some mild sanding on the balls in order to get them smooth enough.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,728 Posts
Hi All
I have had some very good prints from Catia SLT files with designing our Paddles , But I found the strength of 3D printed parts from normal printers is not up to much . I had some prints from a SLS printer in ABS just the same . If the part is not a part that's going to be touched a lot & is like a vent etc I think you should be ok , I'll need to seal the surface to stop the sun damaging the raw surface. We were always hoping to 'print to market' but prices & strength of the parts does not allow this to happen.
I would look at a company called Carbon & envisionTEC

https://3dprinterchat.com/2017/01/3d-printer-manufacturers-2017/
Good luck

Andy

·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'll want to check the nozzle size before buying material. usually its .4mm or .8mm. also the spool will come in 1.75mm or 3.00mm. So check and see what the printer takes. since your using this part on an air vent, I'd use ABS material because it will take heat better than an ASA or something softer without warping

looking at your model, it will be difficult to print something this small with a machine that has a .8mm nozzle. I'm about to switch my home printer over to .4mm and maybe I can do a quick run and see how it turns out. You will probably need to do some mild sanding on the balls in order to get them smooth enough.
So given the small part size (the balls are only 4.42mm in diameter) what nozzle size would be best? If I use a 0.4mm nozzle do you recommend any particular spool size (filament size?).

The original part is stamped "PC/ABS" so that is the material I will try to find first.

I may end up having it professionally printed since I am not finding a 3D printer nearby. I've requested an online quote. The library in the next county can print it, but they'll charge me $30, and they won't even talk to me until I'm there in person.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
So given the small part size (the balls are only 4.42mm in diameter) what nozzle size would be best? If I use a 0.4mm nozzle do you recommend any particular spool size (filament size?).

The original part is stamped "PC/ABS" so that is the material I will try to find first.

I may end up having it professionally printed since I am not finding a 3D printer nearby. I've requested an online quote. The library in the next county can print it, but they'll charge me $30, and they won't even talk to me until I'm there in person.
You can get down to a .2mm nozzle.. and I believe the smallest filament you can get is 1.75mm. your part may be cheaper if you have it machined!

·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can get down to a .2mm nozzle.. and I believe the smallest filament you can get is 1.75mm. your part may be cheaper if you have it machined!
Just curious - why do you say that? Is it the cost of the nozzle? The filament? Do I need a more expensive machine to use the smaller nozzle?

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
204 Posts
Prints out fine with .4m head (see photo sorry hard to see but thats what i had in the machine)

If you pm me a mailing address i will have nylon impregnated with carbon fibre in the machine this weekend and wil print one for you

The one in the photo is PLA which i use for prototype work and has had no post work. Ie straight off the printer.

Cheers from downunder

Attachments

·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Prints out fine with .4m head (see photo sorry hard to see but thats what i had in the machine)

If you pm me a mailing address i will have nylon impregnated with carbon fibre in the machine this weekend and wil print one for you

The one in the photo is PLA which i use for prototype work and has had no post work. Ie straight off the printer.

Cheers from downunder
Thank you!

When I try to PM you, I receive: "PaPa Bear has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

I can't tell 100% from your photo but it looks like the top ball is somewhat distorted, is there something I can do to the drawing to make it better?

·
1,728 Posts
Hi All
To me it looks like they is a cut out on one side of the top blue ball , like a Pac-Man ?. what Cad Package did you model it up in. Does it look like a clean & water tight model. You could send me the model if your having trouble . I’m a Cad Designer by day.
Sent it to gpaddles.com

Cheers

Andy

·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi All
To me it looks like they is a cut out on one side of the top blue ball , like a Pac-Man ?. what Cad Package did you model it up in. Does it look like a clean & water tight model. You could send me the model if your having trouble . I’m a Cad Designer by day.
Sent it to gpaddles.com

Cheers

Andy
Andy,

My model is linked in post#5 - in STL format. I used tinkercad.com to draw it.

·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm wondering if I need to add two support structures for the two spheres - the deformations seen in your photo are exactly in the places where any support structures would meet the spheres.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
204 Posts
Thank you!

When I try to PM you, I receive: "PaPa Bear has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

I can't tell 100% from your photo but it looks like the top ball is somewhat distorted, is there something I can do to the drawing to make it better?
I think that i fixed the pm problem,

The slight flat on the balls is that it has to sit on a flat bed at some point.

It will depend on how critical the fit in the socket is if we make the ball slightly oversize you could sand down ?

Am trying a print in a different direction to reduce supports.

At the end of the day we can but just try and see how we go.

Anymore detailed and yes you wil need a printer with higher resolution.

Cheers

=

·
1,728 Posts

·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pa Pa Bear,

I have updated my model to include supports for the balls - download the new version at the same link above... if your alternate approaches don't work, and I haven't exhausted your supplies/patience/time, try my updated model in PLA.

Totally thankful for your efforts BTW.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts