Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I have been thinking a lot about body kits and how a particular things would look on my car. Of course I do not want to spend money before I know what it looks like.

Did some research to find some pretty cool tools which allows you to do this. Thought I would share for those who might be interested:
- https://3dtuning.tempgp.com/index.php
- 3DTuning (My favorite so far cause its an app on the phone)
- Of course you can go Pro and use Autocad. Download models from online and start playing: Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class R172 (2012) 3D Model Download | 3D CAD Browser

Hope someone finds this as useful as I did.. plus its definitely a time killer on the train!

I will post up some models I work on when I complete them and get peoples opinion =]

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok.. let me start of by saying.. I know I am going to receive some comments from people who may dis or dislike what I have done..

Now I am not saying this is exactly what I want yet.. cause the tool I used has limitations on what you can do, cause most of the parts are premade.

However here goes nothing.. my first attempt to making my SLK a bit more my style.

Here is a large version of it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zssj84mqjsothf/DKT-Prototype.jpg?dl=0

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately the tool which I mentioned in my first post did not have the level of customization I needed. So ended up using photoshop. Bit of bad quality but did the best I could.

So - Taking some feedback from people... Here are changes to remove that "Subaru feel":
1. Changed Spoiler to a more sleek low key spoiler
2. I removed the side fender and added wheel arch plus grill and chrome strip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3ypvcr36rln3op/DKT-Prototype 2.jpg?dl=0

I think this is it!!!

Any feedback would be great

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
The spoiler is a huge upgrade to the first iteration you posted. The vent on the hood looks ok to me except for the side view where it seems to stick out oddly and mess with the lines of the car. If the hood vent had a purpose other than looks I probably wouldn't mind. But without a performance benefit I think it cheapens the overall look of the car.

I like the color and wheels. I'd smoke the brake light a bit more though.

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
Nice job. Now for getting these pieces made. Do these software applications imply some kind of tie-in to a manufacturer that sells these pieces? The hood-scoop is going to be the most involved probably.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice job. Now for getting these pieces made. Do these software applications imply some kind of tie-in to a manufacturer that sells these pieces? The hood-scoop is going to be the most involved probably.
Unfortunately the software does not have tie-in to a manufacturer. However I found out the custom shop near my house does custom fenders so yeah should not be a problem.

Also the hood for the SLK is already sort of scooped.. the purpose of the design I had was not really scooped.. I have a glossed car paint which I was planning to put matt wrap just that section. My only concern is will it peel off easily or create dirt cavities.
@AjarnMichael - you are spot on with the hood vent.. to be honest its always been something I liked to have as I grow up.. but it is not a definite yet.. might play around with designing my own too..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts