Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have posted here a few times, I have been looking for a 32 for a few months. In reading thru the posts here this morning, seems a lot more activity on the 55's than the 32's. Assume it is related to production numbers. Since the performance specs look pretty close, what are the advantages of a 55? According to fueleconomy.gov, the gas mileage seems markedly worse. Other than torque, why a 55?

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
As I have posted here a few times, I have been looking for a 32 for a few months. In reading thru the posts here this morning, seems a lot more activity on the 55's than the 32's. Assume it is related to production numbers. Since the performance specs look pretty close, what are the advantages of a 55? According to fueleconomy.gov, the gas mileage seems markedly worse. Other than torque, why a 55?
Because its a big V8 :)

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Other than a torquier car - and the glorious sound of a V8, it's just a newer platform that was exported to the US in larger numbers. In reality, the 32 can be mod'ded to be about as fast - if not faster - than the '55.

Having driven both, the '55 "feels" faster, and IMHO handles better than the '32. The 32's no slouch, and if I ever came across a great deal on one, I'd be sorely tempted! :)

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Fuel economy or mpg is very dependent upon the right foot strength :biglaugh:

Test drive both and decide which one fits you better. The Kompressor on the 32 is, to me (personal opinion), an additional maintenance item.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
If anyone is going to worry about fuel consumption it silly to buy a powerful car with a big engine. I just went into town and back driving within the law and got 25 mpg I think thats very acceptable for a 3.5 ltr engine.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
If anyone is going to worry about fuel consumption it silly to buy a powerful car with a big engine. I just went into town and back driving within the law and got 25 mpg I think thats very acceptable for a 3.5 ltr engine.
Remember, the '32 is "just" a 3.2l engine!

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
economy and roadsters are not good bed fellows. Even my 1.8 MX5 wasnt much better on fuel than my 350.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,214 Posts
Because I can't drive '55'!!!

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Like stated by others; the 55 is newer and handles better, but the 32 is very close and for little money can be better.
If you are in to modding and are on a budged go with the 32, if money is not your main concern, go with the 55.

·
Registered
270 Posts
32 engines are more tune friendly. Supercharged engine Vs NA V8
Personally, I would def go with 55 route based on my personal preference (style and performance)...

IF you don't pick out a good condition 32s, you could spend a lot to fix reliability issues as well..

·
Registered
78 Posts
This thread finally managed to pull me outta my lurking streak because no one has explicitly said looks. Am I the only one who thinks the 55 is infinitely prettier? The 32 wasn't even an option for me.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,467 Posts
This thread finally managed to pull me outta my lurking streak because no one has explicitly said looks. Am I the only one who thinks the 55 is infinitely prettier? The 32 wasn't even an option for me.
x2

On looks alone, 55 all the way! but then beauty is always in the eye of the beholder...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, it appears you can find a 32 for well under $20k. I dunno, if I read the 32's were actually problematic (like say an early water cooled Porsche), I would def look at the 55. But from what I see, they look pretty bullet proof. The improved handling is tempting, but it appears the price of the 55's are >$15k above a 32. And while it's true mileage should not be a big concern in a performance car, it is for me. I just don't like feeling I am driving a Hummer. I also enjoy mod'ing my cars. Have chipped and added handling mods to my Lotus, Porsches and my S2000. A lot of fun.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully I can pull the trigger on one of the cars I am looking at soon. Need more road time, less typing time. Cheers!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I just sold my R170 and still have my 55. The 55 is much larger inside. The seats are much better. Trunk space grew but with the plastic shell in the 55, the usable space is about the same. Golf clubs don't fit in either car. Roof line on the 55 is taller. The 55 also has more/better amenities inside. More air bags too. More solid chassis.

of course, with more complexity also come more crap to go bad. :confused:

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
124 Posts
^^ if I take the woods/driver out, I can fit my cart bag in the boot. And if I use a standbag, even a pull trolley will all fit in the boot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.