Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To avoid an accident happening in front of me (and a truck swerving into my lane), I drove over a curb and now have wheel and tire damage. The body shop said I can help source the replacements.

I originally planned to get 17" reconditioned painted wheels, but now I'm considering chrome ones. Anyone have experience doing this and where would you recommend I get them?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
How much does it rain where you live? If it's more often than semi-annually, and you ever drive in the wet, you don't want chromes. Any scratch at all will allow moisture to get under the plating, causing it to bubble and flake off. Stick to paint.

Good on you for avoiding the accident. Be sure to have the suspension thoroughly inspected and the alignment checked as well. You may have bent components under there in addition to the damaged wheels.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much does it rain where you live? If it's more often than semi-annually, and you ever drive in the wet, you don't want chromes. Any scratch at all will allow moisture to get under the plating, causing it to bubble and flake off. Stick to paint.

Good on you for avoiding the accident. Be sure to have the suspension thoroughly inspected and the alignment checked as well. You may have bent components under there in addition to the damaged wheels.
Thanks, we do get rain here and if the chrome won't hold up I'd rather skip it. They were still tearing down the car (front bumper, etc) when I last talked to the shop. I'll be sure to have them check everything.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I personally would avoid chrome as well. Not a fan of the look, but more objectively MB recommends against it to keep corrosion from eating the wheels. MBs don't come from the factory with chrome wheels, but if you still want it, most aftermarket wheel shops can get the work done. Some shops even specialize in chrome plating: atlaschrome.com.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts

·
Banned
801 Posts
You know that you can have your wheels reconditioned even if they are bent? It's a lot cheaper and trouble free than trying to source new ones.

·
Registered
47 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts