Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still in shock at being charged "3 Hours Labor/Labour" by my local Indy for changing my 'valve cover gaskets on my SLK 55. I've just found an old receipt (Replaced 2 years ago) from "SMERCS" who have only charged "2 Hrs."
I was hoping that the 55 guys who have had the gaskets changed at their Indy's or MB could give an insight as to what they have been charged (IE: How many Hrs) as this information could help 55 owner's prepare for what to expect and maybe 'haggle' before possibly being over charged. :frown:

PS: Also charged for a new 'crankcase breather hose that was supposedly in need of replacement?'
PSS: I'll certainly be changing my own valve cover gaskets in the future....:|

·
Registered 2005 SLK350-sold
997 Posts
What I can't fathom is why would valve cover gaskets EVER need changing, let alone 2 or 3 times? Especially on a "Premium" brand car. I have had many engines apart for various reasons, sometimes, just to swap valve covers, and I would re-use the gaskets.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,368 Posts
They don't have the pre made gaskets like most cars.
They use a gunk.

Mine got done by the dealer after blowing during the test drive.
When I spoke to mech he said 1.5-2 hours. That was an Indy.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I am still in shock at being charged "3 Hours Labor/Labour" by my local Indy for changing my 'valve cover gaskets on my SLK 55. I've just found an old receipt (Replaced 2 years ago) from "SMERCS" who have only charged "2 Hrs."
I was hoping that the 55 guys who have had the gaskets changed at their Indy's or MB could give an insight as to what they have been charged (IE: How many Hrs) as this information could help 55 owner's prepare for what to expect and maybe 'haggle' before possibly being over charged. :frown:

PS: Also charged for a new 'crankcase breather hose that was supposedly in need of replacement?'
PSS: I'll certainly be changing my own valve cover gaskets in the future....:|
Hi Terry,

I had both mine done back in March, by my Indy.

The one that was leaking again was done by the local Merc Dealer a couple of years ago!!

I said to do the other one, while they were at it. He didn't like how this had been done, including the use of a self tapping screw :surprise:

He cleaned away old sealer, retapped all the threads and resealed back both sides to rocker covers. Replaced small pitch allen bolts.

He said that the mistake some people do is throw too much sealer at it.

For the above work it was 3 hours, total bill was £229.

So if your guy did a similar job, perhaps it wasn't too bad?

Personally I would rather pay a bit more and have a decent job done.

Although I didn't get that 2 years ago at the local Dealer, paid a bit more and still got a crap job :laugh:

It's invaluable to have an Indy (or Dealer?) that you trust.

Regards.

·
Registered 2014 SLK55 AMG
96 Posts
Yep get yourself a good Indy to do it.
Main dealers mechanics are usually snotty nosed kids on £6 per hour who really don't know what they are doing, but they know the labour is charged at £150+ per hour for the bosses so attitude is all wrong.
The Indy will want the work and want future work from you so in my opinion will do a far better job at a reduced price compared to M Dealer.
If you say where your at im sure someone will be able to recommend an Indy for you, which is always preferable when they are recommended from good experience.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Terry,

I had both mine done back in March, by my Indy.

The one that was leaking again was done by the local Merc Dealer a couple of years ago!!

I said to do the other one, while they were at it. He didn't like how this had been done, including the use of a self tapping screw :surprise:

He cleaned away old sealer, retapped all the threads and resealed back both sides to rocker covers. Replaced small pitch allen bolts.

He said that the mistake some people do is throw too much sealer at it.

For the above work it was 3 hours, total bill was £229.

So if your guy did a similar job, perhaps it wasn't too bad?

Personally I would rather pay a bit more and have a decent job done.

Although I didn't get that 2 years ago at the local Dealer, paid a bit more and still got a crap job :laugh:

It's invaluable to have an Indy (or Dealer?) that you trust.

Regards.
Thanks for this information, Dave. I feel a little better after reading this, as my Indy did say something similar regarding the previous fitment of the gaskets. My total bill was £302.00 which included: " 2 OEM gaskets, OEM MB sealant (1 Tube £17.00) 1 new crankcase breather hose and 3 Hrs labor/labour with VAT. They even kept the car over night to make sure the sealant was cured (24 Hrs according to MB's instructions) plus they gave me a courtesy car to use for 2 days, so I suppose all-in-all it doesn't seem too bad. Hughes of Poole charge £65.00 per hr labor/labour which I suppose is a lot cheaper than MB anyway, lol....:smile:

·
Long Time Member 2005 SLK350
3,712 Posts
Yep get yourself a good Indy to do it.
Main dealers mechanics are usually snotty nosed kids on £6 per hour who really don't know what they are doing, but they know the labour is charged at £150+ per hour for the bosses so attitude is all wrong.
The Indy will want the work and want future work from you so in my opinion will do a far better job at a reduced price compared to M Dealer.
If you say where your at im sure someone will be able to recommend an Indy for you, which is always preferable when they are recommended from good experience.
£6 hr wont get them out of bed mate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.