Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE # 2: Battery Drainage occured again. MB could not fix it. Incredible! (SLK 350 2006)

My 2006 SLK 350 has been at the MB dealership for the last three days to figure out and fix a battery drainage problem. However they still cannot figure out what is causing the battery drainage despite their claim of using advanced diagnosis tools to figure out this problem. They told me today that the drainage problem does not occur every time the car is shut off and that what is delaying the finding of the problem. I simply cannot believe that they cannot figure it out. Any ideas forum experts? Thank you very much.

UPDATE #1: Finally got my car today from the dealership and they said they found and fixed the problem. It was the computer software that was causing one of the electronics in the car to stay on after the car was shut off. They updated the software and said that the problem is fixed. I will wait and see. Hopefully they fixed it :)

Thank you all very much for the tips.

UPDATE # 2: Left the car for two days without starting it and the battery was fully drained again. I cannot believe that the MB dealership was not able to fix this problem after keeping my car for 4 days in their shop and they finally told me that they fixed it. They DID NOT FIX IT. Anybody has seen such a challenging battery drainage problem? Thank you for your help and tips.

·
Registered
288 Posts
How old is the battery? Some time there are cracked lead plates in the battery and looks like it looses charge and the it work fine a few minutes later. Did they try a new battery?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How old is the battery? Some time there are cracked lead plates in the battery and looks like it looses charge and the it work fine a few minutes later. Did they try a new battery?
The battery is one week old. They just installed a new battery last week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like an intermittent problem which is the hardest to diagnose! Patience will be required.........
Yes they told be to be patient as well :)

I told them about what you suggested to me few days ago which is to check the fuses versus the battery draw but they said that technique will cause computer memory loss. I do not think so and that answer does not make any sense to me. I think your idea about the fuse checking vs. battery draw may be the best idea.

·
Registered
352 Posts
likely a short in the system somewhere. There are shops that specialize in these sorts of problems.

One of my previous cars had a drainage issue, took it to a shop and they found that the tail light ballasts were corroded, and that was causing the draw. Replaced the assembly, and the issue was gone. A good diagnostic machine and someone experienced with electrical issues are the only way you'll find these things.

If MB can't solve the issue, a good 3rd party shop might be your only alternative.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Experiencing symptoms of battery drain:
Bad Battery,… Battery is new, ok; but still have it load tested.
Bad Connections,… a new battery was installed, ok; have all the connections been checked for oxidation, including the ground connections?
Bad Consumers, …. Now here things can get tricky. A bad consumer can be a short, or a consumer staying on or being turned on.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Been said before, but Arno hit the nail on the head w/regard to how I'd troubleshoot it. I'm confused, though, how disconnecting fuses to test for current loading is worse than a flat battery......

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did the problem exist before the battery was replaced.
& are there and electronic mods to the car, anything that would draw electricity.
Yes that is why I got a new battery installed thinking that it was a battery problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts