Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
did someone try this on 200k (I saw you did on 350 or 55amg)? Any performance gains (I plan to do do puley+remap too)?
I deleted 2nd cat few days ago (swap with straight pipe for now). I like the sound now, it is little louder between 3000-4500rpm. I don't know if it is better to put sport cat (100cell or 200cell) or some resonator now instead of just straight pipe?

Does this harm the engine or any other parts on the long run?
Will I pass next year CO emission test without 2nd cat, does primary cat do enough ''job''?

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000SLK230
2,621 Posts
Could someone please explain what the purpose of the second catalyst is (or is it a CC ?). The secondary O2 sensor is between the two catalysts and on three cars I have never seen the second vary more than one point off center. If the first stops working it set a code. They do not check the second one. So what is it for please ? Would not surprise me if just a resonator.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350
797 Posts
Could someone please explain what the purpose of the second catalyst is (or is it a CC ?). The secondary O2 sensor is between the two catalysts and on three cars I have never seen the second vary more than one point off center. If the first stops working it set a code. They do not check the second one. So what is it for please ? Would not surprise me if just a resonator.
My understanding is as follows (on unmodified cars) - please feel free to correct this if I'm wrong!
@i860 corrected me and so I've updated this post with the upstream o2 sensors and marked the resonators as secondary Cats/resonators as he's confirmed that these are used to help warm up the main Cat from cold.

V8 (AMG)
Manifold - o2 sensor- Cat - o2 sensor - secondary Cat - Xpipe* - rear boxes
*I think the 172's have a Xpipe as std where the 171 don't.

V6 (350,280)
Manifold - o2 sensor - Cat - o2 sensor - secondary Cat/resonator - Xpipe - rear boxes
Not sure if this is the same on the 170

4cyl (200) supercharged
Manifold - o2 sensor - Cat - o2 sensor - secondary Cat/resonator - Y pipe - rear boxes .

Now, I think the 'resonator' should really be called an 'anti- resonator' as, since I've had mine removed, I get a much better exhaust note but the pipes do resonate (or rasp) a little when you put your foot down hard at low revs.
I still really like this mod and think they should have done it as a standard option.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
The second cat is there to control emissions during warm-up of primary cats. It's not checked, presumably, because at present all tests are performed on a hot engine.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,189 Posts
My O2 sensor locations

Front cat now missing

Attachments

·
2,621 Posts
Mike: Really the sequence on my Merc (and XF and Jeep) is manifold-O2-cat-O2-cat-muffler.

The first O2 is used for feedback to the mixture control. The second sensor is to determine how well the cat is functioning and should not deviate from the midpoint. The second cat does not seem to do much or trigger a code.
My past experience is a single cat makes a good muffler if you like to hear your exhaust.

On the whole I like Mercs and while they do a lot of neat things, others seem really strange (e.g. in an electronic world, a suck/blow door lock ? They had a bunch left over from the 1950s ?).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure that 200k has resonator and not 2nd cat? Because inside it looks just like the cat?
If I put sport cat, will the sound be quieter than now with just straight pipe?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’’ll probably empty 2nd cat box and put perforated pipe trough it, so it won’t be visually noticable. Or do you have any other suggestions what to do?

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350
797 Posts
Are you sure that 200k has resonator and not 2nd cat? Because inside it looks just like the cat?
If I put sport cat, will the sound be quieter than now with just straight pipe?
The simple answer is 'no', as I'm basing my comments on what I've read on this Forum and what's on page 89 here... https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=tDCFCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA89&dq=slk+r171+exhaust+system&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH7_GRmpvbAhXMBcAKHdq8Cg8Q6AEIJTAA#v=onepage&q=slk r171 exhaust system&f=false

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
4,945 Posts
The op car if he has a 1.8 petrol has got a resonator not a second cat .

So cat - resonator and then rear twin back boxes .
So if he wanted to can remove it but it will sound diff and poss a performance hit in certain areas .

His best bet is do the back boxes replacement for sound and poss performance tweak
If he has the facelift version he allready has the pulley upgrade done .

But unclear as he is on the year change for the start of facelift .

·
2,621 Posts
Resonators usually reduce a drone at certain speeds. They usually do not have much restriction. Putting a muffler at the back of a car is where the exhaust has already cooled and slowed down a bit. Have run cars with just a cat and turbos with a straight pipe, both sound good to me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine is pre-facelift model. I plan to do custom made mufflers in the future, but for now I am satisfied with the sound I got from just 2nd cat delete. I'll just put smaller pulley and do a remap to get a bit more power from my slk.

So if this is resonator and not cat, than it definitely won't take any effect on emission test. :) But I really thought that I've had 2nd cat, because of the appearance (it has ''cells'' inside of it).

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Mine is pre-facelift model. I plan to do custom made mufflers in the future, but for now I am satisfied with the sound I got from just 2nd cat delete. I'll just put smaller pulley and do a remap to get a bit more power from my slk.

So if this is resonator and not cat, than it definitely won't take any effect on emission test. :) But I really thought that I've had 2nd cat, because of the appearance (it has ''cells'' inside of it).
We had this done to our 2010 350, and were told they looked like cats from the outside but were in fact resonators, so had no secondary cats only primary. May be your model is the same.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,295 Posts
My understanding is as follows (on unmodified cars) - please feel free to correct this if I'm wrong!

V6 (350,280)
Manifold - Cat - o2 sensor - resonator - Xpipe - rear box
Not sure if this is the same on the 170

V6 350 r171
Manifold -o2 upstream (regulates stft ) -1st cat -o2 downstream ( ltft ) -2nd cat ( used on cold start to speed up the temp in 1st cat, some country require cold emission test, not like in UK) - resonators - x pipe - back boxes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey folks, alternative for resonance, a J-pipe resonator. It's just a tube attached to the exhaust (1 for each line) that bends in a J, capped at the end. Lightweight, and is what the manufacturers are using these days to control resonance. This link has information on how to properly tune a J-pipe to maximize dampening, if anyone wanted to look into it to solve a resonance problem. According to this link they are popular in Europe, so there may even be folks in Europe who make a kit for these cars.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was reading about how the J pipe admits sound waves, but not exhaust gases, then bounces them back again, negating the ones coming down and cancelling the drone, or suchlike. I couldn't help but think about what effect, if any, putting a lollipop baffle in a tail pipe would have?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts