Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI good people... Out of the blue whilst driving along the horn comes on & stays on. Removed the fuse - horn still on. Disconnected the horns - silence at last. Then, when turning steering wheel, a grating noise behind the wheel. After dismantling & revealing SAS unit i found damaged "clock spring/squib" (3 core flat data cable) within SAS unit. Appears to have mildly fused itself together, hence, not allowing it to rotate with steering wheel & snapping. |Has anyone experienced this? I kinda guess a short circuit in horn or airbag circuit, but why are no fuses blowing? Any ideas? :confused:

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,785 Posts
Have you had the car read for codes?
Worth doing as it may narrow down the general area for the problem.
What you have found already may well be the source, but you also want the cause.

Search gives the following for the horn, which might help trace the rest of the problem:
Mercedes Benz SLK Forum - Search Results for SLKWorld.com R170 Horn stays on
Lot to go through and little that is quite the same.
Still, at least it gives your thread a bump.

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had exactly the same issue - had burnt through 3 clock springs over a period of years, (2 since January) - I took it in to a local garage who specializes in car electrics.

They traced it to a short on the break light switch - one of the cables was shorting out against the steering column causing the clock spring to burn out- from memory, it was on a wiring loom and they had to strip the steering column down.

No error codes showed up either and no fuses were blown.

The fuse box chart doesnt help - the fuse for this is in the compartment beside the battery on my R170- guess it will be slightly different on your car.

Hope this helps

cheers

Gordon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.