Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OH MAN!!! I couldn't get my phone/camera out of my pocket quick enough!!

What a moron! This guy pulls away collar up, hair windblown back, shades on and it plainly says SLK230 on the left with the "AMG" logo on the right...AMG ground effects, wheels and everything!

This will prove to be a good, laughable section. They're out there folks!! Let's expose 'em!!

·
Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,092 Posts
May have been me....nope, I wasn't in Germany!!! LOL

I have an SLK230 with AMG stamped on the Ground effects and AMG stamped into my rims? Came that way from the dealer according to the paperwork.

No AMG on the trunk tho!

DOH!!!!

SLKman:tu:

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
May have been me....nope, I wasn't in Germany!!! LOL

I have an SLK230 with AMG stamped on the Ground effects and AMG stamped into my rims? Came that way from the dealer according to the paperwork.

No AMG on the trunk tho!

DOH!!!!

SLKman:tu:
He had those items stamped with AMG, I don't have any issues with that because those are clearly AMG products.

To me, if someone puts the AMG logo on the trunk that implies it's AMG under the hood, no? I supposed he could have spent a ton of money to make his 230 an AMG. However, it sounded just like my non-AMG 230. :rolleyes: . . .hmmmmm

If it looks like an eagle but sounds like a duck . . .

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
when i do see people doing this (with any type of car), i usually tell them to just DEBADGE it instead of incorrectly badging it. This way just trying to be deceptive and clean, is better then just flat out lying.

Still everyone is proud of their car, so dont be to harsh on them!

·
Registered
840 Posts
When I was in northern Europe a while back, I saw many Mercedes cars lacking the engine designation numbers. I finally asked a local in Sweden if these cars were sold that way in Europe. He laughed and said no -- but that it was considered "stylish" by some in Europe to "hide" their engine size in this manner. On cars with a two or three letter designation (like SLK, SL, CLK), this looked nice and clean. But on cars with a single-letter designation (S, E, C) looked a little bare.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
....so what's worse-using the wrong badge so people think you have a bigger engine or removing your badge so people have no idea?
Personally I think badge less is best, just don't like a lot of clutter of n anything.

·
Registered
303 Posts
In the UK the factory fit AMG pack for the R170 included an aluminium dash , AMG wheels and AMG badges/logos on the dash, door step covers and boot lid. No engine or mechanical upgrades.
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: Sorry not door steps

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
204 Posts
I recently purchased my 1999 slk230 and it had an AMG badge on the back, yes i know its not an amg, but here is the question (and i know all amg owners will say remove it straight away, so no need for those replys )

But

It also has a none standard grill, the inside is redone to remove half of the red, and amg look alike wheels.

And as stated In above post, in 1999 amg was only cosmetic anyway so..

My concern is by removing the badge i run the risk of needing paint work fixed,
(And then what else do i reverse ie put back origional grill etc..)

or do i not worry and just leave it there ?

happy for your input because i am inclined to have it removed so that i dont offend amg owners, ?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,050 Posts
I recently purchased my 1999 slk230 and it had an AMG badge on the back, yes i know its not an amg, but here is the question (and i know all amg owners will say remove it straight away, so no need for those replys )

But

It also has a none standard grill, the inside is redone to remove half of the red, and amg look alike wheels.

happy for your input because i am inclined to have it removed so that i dont offend amg owners, ?

Cheers

I wouldn't worry.

Whatever you do with your car folks get upset.

If you're happy, that's it! You paid.
I know purists get upset, but Mercedes started the trend of AMG badging for cosmetic/suspension upgrades.

Dealers make use of this, hoping for a higher price because the buyer thinks they have factory AMG.

·
Registered 2006 SLK200
22 Posts
I also bought a 2006 SLK200 with AMG on windows,dashboard updated wheels etc. I bought it because it is a beautiful car with the upgrades on. Purists can gasp in horror but I bought the car and I am happy with it.

·
Registered
180 Posts

But

Cheers
Just leave it the way it is, if you like it. It's your car, and you can do with it whatever you want. If pressed, you can tell them that the AMG stands for "All my gear," or some such thing, and just wink.

And as you may know, there are plenty of folks out there driving hot cars who don't know the first thing about sport driving. I've dusted many of them in my relatively low-powered SLK230 because I know how to drive it.

But, if you decide to remove the AMG, just know that those letters are held on by two-sided foam sticky tape and can be removed with a heat gun. I had to remove the "KOMPRESSOR" letters from my fender recently because I was going to have it repainted. And I did no damage to the finish. If you want, you could try to pull them off after leaving the car in the hot sun; that might be sufficient. Or drench them liberally in baby oil and wriggle them off.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Most people don't even know what an SLK is, never mind the subtleties of AMG vs non AMG.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts