Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So went down to Phoenix Motor Company and drove the car below today. Love it love it but i have 2 sleep on it. It got all the options i need it its a good buy at 22k out the door because it is a Cpo and low Mileage. I could not find any flaws on the car i love the interior since it does not have the all that funky wood. I know some people are abit more picky than me and just to let you all know Sales People hate me . So why do i not run with it. Well Kids i am not 100% shure if i am ok with the Blue. I have seen several others in the same color and they looked sharp. I don,t know if it is because of the funky wheels or what. Even my Friend told me he cant move the car because of the color. Maybe it is the wrong color combo Blue Black. Help me out here. Do we have any members here that would be so kind and post them blue R171,s i just would like to see what the car could look like after modn it abit. Thx Guys and Girls.
http://www.mercedesofphoenix.com/used/mercedes~benz-slk~class-slk280-2006-S3395A.html

Here is the Car fax on the Car.

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=XIG_0&vin=WDBWK54F46F115544#DetailSection

Here is another part that bothers me alot why would you replace the Head Gasket so early and check the Compression. Wonder if she over heated? just makes no sense too me replacing the Head
Gasket at 27549 Miles.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG
1,564 Posts
The 280 has about 30bhp more than your 230. So it may be faster at first, you will quickly get used to the power. Also if you are not totally satisfied, then i would wait.

It is a buyers market. Wait for a 350 to come to your price range, would be my advice.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
The colour is good - nearly as good as green!!, but as Ram says, it's a buyers market, there are many more out there, make sure the one you get is perfect - you may end up keeping it a long time!! I would also like to know why a head gasket has been changed???

Don't worry about sales people hating you - you are buying the car, not them.

·
Registered
766 Posts
That's a fine looking car, life's too short to second guess everything, go with your heart and have fun in the Phoenix sun.

·
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys thx so much for the input so far. Now Kids my G/f is great going out for a Test Drive in any Car never says a word she is perfect in that way. Now she learned abit from me looking over my shoulders. So we take the car thru the normal City driving and than i run it hard it is a test drive after all. Out of the blue she goes Daniel i smell fresh oil burning on the the Excaust. Now keep in mind i had no idea that the Head Gasket was replaced. Yes i know maybe not torqued down all the way etc etc. but when the G/f smells oil and tells me i take this to Heart.

Here are the 4 things that bother me

1 G/f smelled oil burning and she never talks when i test Drive

2 The Head Gasket replacement and Compression Check

3 When i opened the Hood/Bonnett the Motor looked clean but not clean like you expect from an 06. My 99 is spotless and everything looks new like it just rolled of the Floor

4 No Dipstick and yes i know i can,t change that. LOL To be honest there is something in my Gut that does not give me the happy jingle feeling when i bought my R170 my Gut was fine. LOl.

I bet i can pick the Car up next month for 20k Warranty included..... As far as my Sales Person i am not worried he gave me the Keys to drive the R172 walking into a Mb Showroom dressed like a Hill Billy. LOL We know ea. other for years.... Gotta say the R172 is a nice ride honestly you can,t compare it to the R171 or the R170.

I do understand why people love the R 172/171 or 170 . Every Slk has its perks for a special Driver/ Slk Lover. For me the R171 i drove today has so much more electronic crap in it than i really need and want. I like my cars pure my Beer pure and my Irish Girls just a little bit on the chunky side.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If it's the MB CPO warranty then your worries about the gasket replacement should be lessened. I'd take another look at the exhaust and maybe an independent pre-purchase inspection just to check out that potential oil smell, and try to get the price to $20k, but then personally I'd probably go for it. That's a decent price based on recent Phoenix-area SLKs I've seen for sale, and I would call it good when you consider the CPO warranty.

Personally I love the Caspian Blue. It's to your advantage that the salespeople think the color makes the car hard to sell!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Far too many red flags in my opinion... specially for a 280. Besides, I got my '55 for $24k. I have more miles than that, but also air scarf, nav, and a nice little V8.
I'd also look at the warranty offered and make sure it covers everything and very little 'deductible'.
I would look on.. and for a 350. It will have better resale value too.

·
Registered
604 Posts
no way i pay 20 k for a 280. theres a fantastic yellow slk32 and a silver 32 1 owner cars that will eat that 280 for lunch for under 18 k on the web now.
both 32's under 35 k miles. and cpo means squat. my first 32 was inspected at fletcher jones in vegas and the tech completely missed the broken front lower fascia. i mean the car was on a lift and i found it by just running my hand under the bumper!

btw the silver 32 has been reduced to under 17k!:tu:

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Unless you are certain that the oil smell can be identified and fixed, I'd go look for another car. If the colour does not appeal to you at first sight, I'd also think about looking elsewhere. You prolly can get a 350 for the same price range.

Reactions: Berliner Heckflosse

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Nothing wrong with 280's but you can tell you're not happy already - wheels..engine/gasket/oil...I don't mind the blue at all, but it's a bit boring with the all black interior. Wait it out BH, and do some more shopping on the web. Do you want a local purchase?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Personally would not touch it, to many questions and you will know when it feels right or wrong, you all ready know the right feeling when you bought the r170, keep looking you will find a better car hold out for the 350 i love mine.:burnout:

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
I'd stay away as well knowing what you know....plus, I really do think that you can find a perfect R171 at the $22k-OTD if you keep looking. As they say, patience is a virtue. If you really like THIS machine, see if you can use your knowledge to get a better deal or keep looking.

Reactions: Berliner Heckflosse

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
So - agree with the others, too many "odd" things about this car that would make me wonder - and worry.

CPO coverage is generally acknowledged to be worth from 1.5 to 2k at fair market value, and covers everything with no "deductible" except for consumables and trim parts. I've purchased two MB's as CPO's, and happy with the piece of mind it gave me. MB usually invests about $1k preparing the car for market to meet CPO standards - brakes, tires, service, etc.

Not going to comment on the value of the CPO inspection - obviously every dealer is going to be different - but given that you are covered, it sorta a moot point in my mind as I'd always have my own inspection regardless.

On the color - as I said, it's one of my favorites, but I'd still be leery of this particular car - beautiful though it is! :)

·
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ladies and Gents called my Sales buddy back yesterday and gave him my wishlist told him no hurry i can wait he will do his best to find me the right R171 he knows that i am picky with my cars.
As far as the Blue i have seen several other Slks in Blue and they looked awesome but this one just gives me the creeps i wonder if that has something to do with that Doll that i dated 10 yrs ago. She always walked around with Blue Toenails and Boy did she had some screws missing on the Valve Cover.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.